DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Anyone apply ED to Georgia State this cycle? I know they're doing interviews early September, but I wasn't sure if anyone had heard anything yet?

Feb 12, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Anyone apply ED to Georgia State this cycle? I know they're doing interviews early September, but I wasn't sure if anyone had heard anything yet?
I did not apply ED, but I did esubmit 8/15 but my application has not been verified by PTCAS yet unfortunately.. Hopefully it is this week though so my application can be looked at before the first round of interviews. Do you have any idea when the September interviews will be? As in right at the beginning or maybe mid-September?

OP
D

DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I tried asking when the interviews would be for ED and all they sent me was a calendar that's been posted on their website. All it states is that ED interviews are early September....:eyebrow:

It would have been nice to have a solid date!!

Reactions: kdhdpt
About the Ads
Feb 12, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
My application was verified by PTCAS this morning! I talked with someone in the office of academic assistance just to be sure all my materials have been received and she said the committee is supposed to be meeting this week to decide on ED applications. Really regretting I didn't submit ED but hopefully they look at some applicants that just decided to submit early anyways.

OP
D

DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Yeah, I submitted early decision just to see if my application stands out at all. I know I'm not super competitive, but considering I was interviewed there years ago and took major steps to make my application more competitive, I'm curious to see what they'll do with it

OP
D

DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
It would honestly be nice if they met early this week to decide who to invite for interviews and if they began interviews next weekend for ED...that's about as early September as you can get lol

Grizzlyman

2+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I did not apply ED, but I did esubmit 8/15 but my application has not been verified by PTCAS yet unfortunately.. Hopefully it is this week though so my application can be looked at before the first round of interviews. Do you have any idea when the September interviews will be? As in right at the beginning or maybe mid-September?
I doubt they would take the additional time to look at a regular deadline application when they have so many early decision application that they need to look at first. It's not going to make a difference on whether they look at your application now or later as they do not have rolling admissions. It's probably better that they do not look at your application now as your interview would not be until next winter.

OP
D

DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Doctor of Physical Therapy Admissions Timeline

• June 30, 2016 – Application portals open
  • Early Decision applications begin to be processed
  • Aug 15, 2016 – Early Decision Deadline
  • Early Decision applications processed and reviewed
  • Early Sept 2016 – Early Decision Interview Day
  • Decision Letters Sent
  • Sept 26, 2016 – GSU DPT Program Decision Deadline for Early Decision Applicants
  • Oct 17, 2016 – Hard Deadline
  • All other applications processed and reviewed
  • Early Dec 2016 – Interview Day
  • Early/Mid Dec 2016 – Decisions Letters Sent
· June 2017 – Program starts (Class of 2020)

That's the timeline I received when I asked when interviews would be

Reactions: Grizzlyman
OP
D

DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I emailed Misha and was told "You'll be hearing something soon! Thanks for being patient!"
:shifty:

OP
D

DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Interview date is Sept. 9th according to the website. Invitation only

Grizzlyman

2+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Interview date is Sept. 9th according to the website. Invitation only
Does your status show that Ga State has received your PTCAS application. It's been several weeks and they still have not updated the status to show they received my application. I talked to a gentleman that said they were behind but to call back next week if it is not posted this week. It seems like such an easy update, I'm suspicious that fell through the cracks.

OP
D

DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
They sent me an email stating they had received everything and that my application was under review. That was a couple of weeks ago. I found out about the Sept. 9th interview on their website and I haven't heard anything yet regarding invites to the interview. I feel like they're taking their sweet time :bang:

Reactions: Grizzlyman
About the Ads

Grizzlyman

2+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
They sent me an email stating they had received everything and that my application was under review. That was a couple of weeks ago. I found out about the Sept. 9th interview on their website and I haven't heard anything yet regarding invites to the interview. I feel like they're taking their sweet time :bang:
Great. I just called and they said my status was an error and they are reviewing the application...It's their first time doing ED so I assume they are going to have some wrinkles to work in terms of timeline.

Feb 12, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I got an email today saying my app was complete and under review but I did not early admissions, I just submitted early.

OP
D

DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Is it just me or is it a little frustrating that we are a week away from interviews and no one has been communicating about when they are going to send out invitations for next weeks ED interview? I've contacted everyone and all I keep getting is "You'll hear back soon"......

deezytide

2+ Year Member
May 22, 2016
Status
Non-Student
very frustrating. I understand it's their first year doing ED and there are some kinks to work out, but come on, how long does it take to go through applications and schedule a few interviews?

Reactions: DPThopeful1859
OP
D

DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Right?? Like, I'm grateful I don't have to travel far, but how inconvenient is it for someone who's applied out of state and has to make last minute arrangements to get here?? We work and have to accommodate for those days....I don't get it

Jun 29, 2015
Status
Physical Therapy Student
Right?? Like, I'm grateful I don't have to travel far, but how inconvenient is it for someone who's applied out of state and has to make last minute arrangements to get here?? We work and have to accommodate for those days....I don't get it
If you haven't received an interview offer at this point, it is likely that you aren't going to receive an invite for this interview. I'd hold out until they do their regular decision interviews.

OP
D

DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Yeah, they decided on Thursday, about a week before interview, that they were going to send out invitations. I didn't get one, which is fine, but I think it was more of the principal of the matter for me...Fortunately, I have a school that's accepted me and I can't wait until end of October to hear whether they will invite me for a general admission interview or not since I start classes for the other school January 2nd....

Megsmans

2+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I didn't apply ED, but was invited for an interview for December 2nd (heard 9/16). Can anyone shed some light on the interview process? Questions that were asked, things you liked or disliked, best ways to prepare, etc. Thanks!

OP
D

DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I didn't apply ED, but was invited for an interview for December 2nd (heard 9/16). Can anyone shed some light on the interview process? Questions that were asked, things you liked or disliked, best ways to prepare, etc. Thanks!
I had an interview back in 2012, so they may have changed it. They split you up into 3 groups: interview, tour of the building and Q&A with current students. You get put into a group as to which one you do first, second, third and go from there. They asked me what I thought of Direct Access, why GSU, typical job interview questions and such. They also made you write a small essay at the end with a question. Not sure if they do that anymore or not.

Feb 12, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I also have an interview Dec. 2nd! I went to an open house and really liked the overall vibe of the program!

About the Ads

Olliegators95

2+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2016
Status
Physical Therapy Student
I also have an interview on Dec. 2nd. I'm from out of state and really like GSU's program as well as the beautiful location. Does anyone know how many people will be there on interview day?

Megsmans

2+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I had an interview back in 2012, so they may have changed it. They split you up into 3 groups: interview, tour of the building and Q&A with current students. You get put into a group as to which one you do first, second, third and go from there. They asked me what I thought of Direct Access, why GSU, typical job interview questions and such. They also made you write a small essay at the end with a question. Not sure if they do that anymore or not.
Thank you for your input! Were you accepted into the program at GSU?

OP
D

DPThopeful1859

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Thank you for your input! Were you accepted into the program at GSU?
I actually wasn't accepted back then. I just recently got accepted this year to a different program in NC. I did apply ED to GA State this year, got denied and moved to general admin and a week later they offered me an interview on Dec. 2nd. I didn't see the point in going when I was already accepted elsewhere that begins in January, so I didn't want to waste their time.

Jun 29, 2015
Status
Physical Therapy Student
I had an interview last year. If I remember correctly what dpthopeful said was accurate, except there were 2 groups not three (one does Q/A and tour, other goes to waiting room for interviews) and I don't remember an essay portion. Interviews are one-on-one with a faculty member, although a few students had multiple faculty members. I'm not sure if that's how they are having it this year.

Megsmans

2+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I had an interview last year. If I remember correctly what dpthopeful said was accurate, except there were 2 groups not three (one does Q/A and tour, other goes to waiting room for interviews) and I don't remember an essay portion. Interviews are one-on-one with a faculty member, although a few students had multiple faculty members. I'm not sure if that's how they are having it this year.
Did you end up going to GSU??

OptimusBear

2+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2015
Atlanta, Ga
Status
Physical Therapy Student
I interviewed at GSU last year in the 1st round, got wait-listed and ultimately denied. @Olliegators95, my memory's a bit hazy, but I remember around 75 (maybe up to 100) people at the first interview. I heard that there was way more (maybe around 200) in the second round of interviews.

Like redrose424 said, there's a breakfast/introduction before splitting into either the tour or personal interviews. These last ~15 minutes. I can understand that the teachers have to block out a lot of their time to conduct interviews, but I personally felt rushed the whole time (it seemed like they were trying to get through 7 or so questions in that time span - in comparison, Mercer gave us 30 minutes for personal interviews and went through approximately the same amount of questions). I had 2 faculty (non-PT) interview me and the dynamic between them threw me off...(one pretty much gave me the stone face and read straight from the paper while the other was more friendly and nodded along when I spoke).

As for preparation for the interview...other than looking up what the program/school can offer you as well as coming up with some questions to ask the faculty members, I'm not sure what else you could do. Part of it will come down to luck as I feel like how you converse and get along with your interviewer can make a big impact on how you feel about your interview. I didn't really "connect" with my interviewers as much as the other places I've interviewed and totally misconstrued the "why PT" question because it was asked so weirdly. I'm not sure what else I can add at this point, but lmk if you guys have any other questions, and good luck!

Megsmans

2+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I interviewed at GSU last year in the 1st round, got wait-listed and ultimately denied. @Olliegators95, my memory's a bit hazy, but I remember around 75 (maybe up to 100) people at the first interview. I heard that there was way more (maybe around 200) in the second round of interviews.

Like redrose424 said, there's a breakfast/introduction before splitting into either the tour or personal interviews. These last ~15 minutes. I can understand that the teachers have to block out a lot of their time to conduct interviews, but I personally felt rushed the whole time (it seemed like they were trying to get through 7 or so questions in that time span - in comparison, Mercer gave us 30 minutes for personal interviews and went through approximately the same amount of questions). I had 2 faculty (non-PT) interview me and the dynamic between them threw me off...(one pretty much gave me the stone face and read straight from the paper while the other was more friendly and nodded along when I spoke).

As for preparation for the interview...other than looking up what the program/school can offer you as well as coming up with some questions to ask the faculty members, I'm not sure what else you could do. Part of it will come down to luck as I feel like how you converse and get along with your interviewer can make a big impact on how you feel about your interview. I didn't really "connect" with my interviewers as much as the other places I've interviewed and totally misconstrued the "why PT" question because it was asked so weirdly. I'm not sure what else I can add at this point, but lmk if you guys have any other questions, and good luck!
Do you remember how they asked the "why PT" question?

Jun 29, 2015
Status
Physical Therapy Student
How do you like it?
I love it. Definitely the best program that I interviewed at, and my interview experience was completely different than OptimusBear's. I had a one-on-one interview, and yes I felt rushed, but only because me and my interviewer ended up having more of a real conversation rather than a question-answer session. I actually felt bad after my interview (anxiety) because I felt like it could be construed as unprofessional to not have one of those awkward interviews that stays entirely on topic.

About the Ads
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Physical Therapy Student

I'm interested as to who the non-PT faculty were that interviewed you. The majority of our faculty (especially those conducting interviews) are PTs.

Megsmans

2+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I interviewed yesterday and absolutely loved it! Do y'all remember how long it took you to hear back? They told us yesterday it would be 2 weeks, but I've heard from current students it normally doesn't take that long.

OptimusBear

2+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2015
Atlanta, Ga
Status
Physical Therapy Student
@Megsmans You should hear back from them fairly quickly if you got accepted. It took them about a month to tell me I was wait-listed and even longer to officially reject me.

Grizzlyman

2+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I interviewed yesterday and absolutely loved it! Do y'all remember how long it took you to hear back? They told us yesterday it would be 2 weeks, but I've heard from current students it normally doesn't take that long.
I just heard back today. 12/6/2016

Jun 29, 2015
Status
Physical Therapy Student
I heard back in about a week.

Olliegators95

2+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2016
Status
Physical Therapy Student
Does anyone know if they notify us of our waitlist positions or do we have to inquire? When I emailed Misha after accepting my waitlist position, she said that positions would be revealed after the deadline (today).

Olliegators95

2+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2016
Status
Physical Therapy Student
Yes, but the waitlist confirmation deadline was yesterday. I just want to know where I am on the waitlist.

Megsmans

2+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I emailed Misha today, and she told me my position on the wait-list.

Also, if you emailed her confirming you wanted a spot on the list, she would have sent you an email back saying "confirmation received".

Olliegators95

2+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2016
Status
Physical Therapy Student
Yeah, I ended up emailing her today and she told me my position too. I'm #10, so I'm hoping I can make it in.

Reactions: Megsmans
About the Ads