Georgia State Probationary Accreditiation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grahamswan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new to the Pre-PT forum, but have been checking it out anonymously for months now... So, I am a GA resident eager to apply to in-state PT schools. GA State was my top choice (in Atlanta where I would like to stay), but I've recently looked at their website and saw that CAPTE had put their accreditation for the DPT program on probation. How worrisome is this? I looked up the public disclosure notice from CAPTE, and it looks pretty bad. There is a line in the letter that says the faculty has "an apparent lack of understanding as to what consitutes scholarship." Should I not apply? Does anyone know why GA State had such a sudden drop in reputation? Last year all I heard was that it was a great school! Any insight would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am from Atlanta to. Go ahead and apply but if their status isnt changed i would stay away. I think they may get it straightened out by next year though. Does anyone know if they are taking a class this year?

i interviewed with georgia state back in january. they told us that they were meeting with CAPTE at the end of april, and that we would hear something from them after that (i haven't heard from them yet). they were confident they would come off probation, but said that in the event that they didn't, they wouldn't take a class this year. if they do come off probation, they will take a class. based on a lot of things i've heard from people in the field of PT in the atlanta area, i'd still be a little wary of their program even if their accreditation is restored. fortunately, i was accepted at a few other schools and will be starting school elsewhere this summer, and don't have to worry about making that decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
They received full accreditation for the next 10 years. The PT I work for graduated from there about 5 years ago, and he had no complaints about the program and received a great education. However, a large majority of their professors went to start the program at Mercer or left entirely, and from what I've heard, the quality of the education has not been the same.

Thanks for the update. I am definitely still cautiously interested in the school, but, will have to go visit and check it out in person before deciding to apply or not.

I am trying to decide between Ga State and UAB. Ga State would be the cheaper way to go, but I just don't know about their program yet. Anyone else planning on going to Ga State.

Has anyone that interviewed at Georgia State this past January heard anything from them on whether or not you were accepted/ declined/ wait listed? Does anyone know how they will be contacting students to let them know? What were other DPT school deadlines- if you were accepted at Mercer, what was the date you had to commit to going there? So many questions! I e-mailed GSU yesterday and was given a one sentence reply: They will update our admissions status online by May 31st. Does anyone out there know anything else?

i interviewed at georgia state in late january (probably like the 27th or 28th or something like that) and found out last week via phone call that i was accepted. i then received an email and a letter in the mail about my acceptance as well. i turned them down, though, as i'm already committed to starting school this summer elsewhere.

good luck to you!

thanks gth790x, that's some of the most helpful information i have received from anywhere in months. congratulations to you on being accepted to multiple schools and i wish you the very best as you start school this summer. so happy you responded to my post, thank you :)

so glad i can help! this whole process has been so stressful and i know how horribly anxious i was for months while waiting for any news at all.

perhaps it couldn't hurt to contact them and ask about the status of your application, especially since you know that they did get their accreditation back and will be taking a class? i tried to stay in contact with all of the schools i applied to to check on my status, and it seems to have worked out okay.

thanks for the well wishes, and i wish you nothing but the best of luck as well!