Gerstmann syndrome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reperfused

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know the 4 classic symptoms:
Agraphia, Acalculia, Finger agnosia, Left-right disorientation.
What about Alexia?
Technically, it should be present. If you can't comprehend what you see, you can't comprehend what's written as well, right? And kaplan does say that in pure angular gyrus lesion (gerstmann), alexia is always present with agraphia.
But FA doesn't mention alexia in Gerstmann. On top of that, RX says: "reading is classically not impaired with this syndrome (i.e. agraphia is present, but alexia is not).

Who's right?
My instinct and logic wants to go with what kaplan says!

Members don't see this ad.

If it is Gerstmann it is alexia WITH agraphia, if it is infarction of left posterior cerebral artery which knocks out the splenium of corpus callosum it is alexia withOUT agraphia.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah arterial supply can help differentiate between those two. The angular artery, (branch of middle cerebral artery,) when occluded, can cause Gerstmann (alexia and agraphia,) but infarction of left posterior cerebral artery would have alexia without agraphia (pure alexia).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanna confirm one more thing:
So this Posterior Cerebral Artery infarct (knocking out the splenium of corpus callosum) causing Alexia without Agraphia!
Is it the same thing as "Transcortical sensory aphasia" mentioned in FA16 (pg 463)?