get rid of undergrad text books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gaki

needs help
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello... I was in the middle of packing and donating and throwing things out, and I came upon my undergrad text books. Does any one know if these books are at all useful in med school? Physics, Chem, Ochem, Bio, Calc?

I guess I should get rid of them.. but.. anyone wish they kept them?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've looked back at my organic chemistry textbook once in two years for medical school purposes. My molecular/cellular biology textbook was useful for the first month of MS-1, but never again for school reference. I've never opened my physics or calculus textbooks in medical school, and I don't even have a general chemistry text here. Basically, I kept books I thought I might look back at again in the context of research or classes and donated or sold the rest before med school.

In my experience, undergrad books aren't terribly helpful. At my school we're given all the notes, and I just study those. Also, there's really not much emphasis on things like Calc, Physics, and OChem. At least nothing that you would need a whole textbook for. If you have a good Physiology or maybe Biochem book, those might be useful for a reference though. But I would just sell the rest of them if you can. The money will be more useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello... I was in the middle of packing and donating and throwing things out, and I came upon my undergrad text books. Does any one know if these books are at all useful in med school? Physics, Chem, Ochem, Bio, Calc?

I guess I should get rid of them.. but.. anyone wish they kept them?

thanks.

Get rid of them and get rid of medical text books as soon as the course are over. You won't be lugging these things around and you won't be tempted to try to look at too many different sources when you study for your course exams.

Once you have completed a course, all you need is a review for boards. Toss the books (or give them to a rising student). When I completed medical school, I had Harrison's Internal Medicine and Greenfield's Surgery only.

thanks a bunch for the replies :)

Ditch em. My undergrad books have done nothing but gather dust on my shelves and take up space, and I wish I had dumped them while they were current editions and still had resale value. My cell bio and immunology texts were at a "med school" level but I ended up buying the recommended ones anyways because thats where the lecturers were pulling their notes/test questions from.

Sell em on half.com and put the money towards boards books. Trust me, you'll be sick of buying books in no time (coming from a self-admitted 'new textbook' lover)

I don't know about you guys, but I use my calc-based physics every day in med school.

Haha yes I know funny. (Although it felt like half of physiology was physics).

Sell what you can! They probably changed all the editions on all the books already but you might get lucky. Half.com is always an option.

I sold all of my undergrad textbooks before med school. Never needed any of them.

The only undergrad text I ever needed to review was my immunology text, and that was the only science text I kept. I hated text I HAD to get for med school (they told us it was required).

Sell em on half.com and put the money towards boards books. Trust me, you'll be sick of buying books in no time (coming from a self-admitted 'new textbook' lover)

I agree. You would be surprised how much some textbooks sell for on half.

i referenced my p-chem and my o-chem book once each in med school. I am also slightly crazy.

I have this Leninger Biochem book. I used it for biochem in undergrad...has anyone used that one as a resource in medschool? its taking up a lot of room so im thinking about ditching it...

Members don't see this ad :)
Lehninger was the required text for my undergrad bchem course as well as for the med school bchem. I absolutely HATED that book! Extremely verbose and crappy on diagrams. Lipincott has all the biochem you need to know in med school and more. Its to the point and the diagrams are much better.

I have this Leninger Biochem book. I used it for biochem in undergrad...has anyone used that one as a resource in medschool? its taking up a lot of room so im thinking about ditching it...

I loved it during undergrad biochem, but sold it right after my classes were over.

You'll have better books (read: more concise) in med school.

Sell 'em. If something's not in your class notes, you'll look it up on the internet.

I would consider keeping Biochem, Cell Bio, and maybe Human Phys, but depending on what the specific textbooks were. If you don't end up using them (which a lot of people don't) in med school, you can always sell them later. Everything else though, ditch it.

I say ditch them all. Just a bunch of useless weight to lug around. I haven't looked at an undergrad text since college, and I worked in biomedical research for several years before med school.

When you really need to look something up, just use google and wikipedia.

My main regret about my undergrad books was not selling them for a better value so I could buy more books for class right now. Over this M1 year I've discovered I'm one of those types that reads the textbook to "pre-read" and to review, and it's turned into quite a costly study habit.

what about my histology book and atlas???? Should I keep them?

5 Steps to Medical School Happiness for the rising MS1...

1. Find a high-traffic area at your undergrad (even if it's summer).
2. Lay out ALL of your undergrad books that you still own (except maybe a Netter's Atlas or other Gross Anatomy Atlas) onto a table.
3. Make a sign that says "FREE BOOKS, ENJOY!".
4. Walk away and go attend medical school.
5. Happiness! :)

The only undergrad books I have cracked this year (MS1) have been my old Netter's Atlas and my Rohen's Color Atlas of Anatomy I used in undergraduate gross anatomy. All of the rest are sitting on a shelf, doing no-one any good at all.

What about my Kandell and Shwartz? Its been like my bible in grad school.