Get Together For KCOM'ers Before Orientation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justwannabadoc

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's a little early to start thinking about this but since some of us have already talked about it and some of you might be going away, I wanted to let you all know as early as possible. We want to get together at least once before orientation starts for a barbecue or something where we can get to know each other. Some of us will be in Kirksville by the weekend before so we were thinking about sometime in the middle of the week. Please "sign up" if you're interested. The more the merrier. CHEERS!!
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

I am up for it!

I'll be in the student apartments.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there and can help get things ready if needed.

I am in.
I plan on leaving Los Angeles with enough time to be in Kirksville by the 1st.

Good idea.

For those who have already signed up, make sure one of us knows how to get a hold of you, whether by e-mail, phone, Kville address, ESP, etc... Any suggestions (other than a cookout) on what we should do? I just got a brochure today. There's a lake somewhere in Kville and it looks pretty. We could go there if someone finds it. Anyone else get it? There are three pamphlets in there about living in Kville and being smart with money. Oh yeah. Anyone into mountain biking? Doesn't necessarily have to be on a mountain but you get the idea.

Count me in too.
You have my email address..
I'll be living in the student apts too.
Duke

Count me in too. I'll be living in the student apts.
You guys can get my email address if you want to.

Sounds like a party not to be missed! Sign me up. Keep us posted on the details.

I'm in. By the way, has anyone looked for a house in LaPlata or outside of Kirksville. I'm not going to put a deposit down on a house rental until mid-July. How fast are the properties being leased? I've heard most of the houses are junky. Any insight?

Count the 'Old Man' in too!!

The lake is very nice and close by & would be a great place for our gathering...Wendy, my wife, and I went to check it out when we were in K'Ville this past w/e. On the north side of town, take hwy6 east only 3 or so miles and watch for the Lake of the Thousand Hills cut-off. It's a nice lake, a few cabins, lots of places to camp and pick-nick and would be great place to bike. For you hunters, I saw several deer driving in the out-lying areas...nice big deer!

Right now, esp if you have a pet, the housing selection is pretty thin. However, the real estate lady and the folks in KCOM admissions told me things don't really get going until late-May/early-June.

The houses themselves range from very nice to hovels. There are a couple of areas populated by really nice duplexes/ quadplexes. I would suggest you go by a real estate agency [there are three: Cent 21, ERA and Heritage] and get a city map.

Wendy and I may be moving up as early as the first week of June. She interviewed for a job there on Friday. If she gets it, we'll be bound for K'Ville right after graduation. That means I'll be job hunting there too...I wonder if anyone needs a bartender? That's what I did before I became a resp therapist.

wink.gif

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Alternate e-mail: [email protected]
This one will not change...we may have to ditch our MSN account as there is no local access in K'Ville.

Suggestions for 'other activities,' we could meet at one of the local establishments, i.e. Ailerons [decent food and well-priced adult adult libations]. I assume all of us will be old enough? Adult bevs are prohibited at the lake...just for your info.

wink.gif

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Yes.
I got a two bedroom apartment at the student housing complex at Kirksville. I have heard the stories, but I'm sure I'll be fine.I decided to not share my apt because I wanted to live on my own again. Having a roommate is a sort of a pain in the ass.
I won't be able to move in until the 13th of Aug. so I won't be leaving CA until the beginning of Aug. Right now I am going to try and find out if I can move in earlier so I won't be in a rush when school starts.
Well I'll see you guys and girls soon..
Let me know what's up..
DUke

In case you didn't know, you will need an ethernet card if you want to access KCOM's network while in class. The network runs on a 10BaseT regular ethernet so make sure whatever modem/network card you get supports it. Then you're stuck with deciding between a regular connection or an X-Jack. The benefit of an X-Jack is there is no cable that you need to carry around. However, it is more expensive (~$30). I went ahead and got a 3Com modem/ethernet combo with an X-Jack connection that supports both 10BaseT and 10Base2 (just in case) and regular ethernet.

No, this has nothing to do with the get-together but I remember Old Man Dave posting a question about this stuff somewhere.

Thanks justwannabe...I needed that info. If i get a card with the X-jack [I assume that's what i know to be a data port jack, looks like a phone one only wider?], how would i go about connecting to a land-line by modem?

Also, Wendy and I are driving to K'Ville on 25 May...anyone else gonna be there searching for apartments? We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express...give us ring, we'll be listed uder my name:
Dave Kelley

wink.gif

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

I think I was unclear in my info about PC card modems. The XJack is only good for landline connections. So, if you look for a LAN card only, you will not find XJack anywhere since it won't work for an ethernet connection. The benefit is that all you need to do is pop out the connection "thing" and stick your regular phone line cable into it. Otherwise, you would have to have a separate cable and what that looks like beats me.

In terms of the ethernet connection, whatever modem you buy should come with the adapter and cable that you need.

Dave, I will be in Kirksville on Wed. the 26th to put a deposit down on the house I found. Do you want to have lunch or dinner? Let me know.

Dave and Matthers,
I will be in town on the 25th and then part of the 26th. I have an interview at KCOM for the National Health Service Corps scholarship program in the morning but I don't know how much longer I will be in town after that.

Carrie