Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist

genesis09

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
The laws are pretty clear on this. The pharmacist has to right to refuse any prescription. Florida has unique issues which most areas do not have to deal with.

DedicationNSU11

P4
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2008
Davie, FL
Status
Pharmacy Student
Pharmacies aren't obligated to fill any prescription, correct? I see it as a retail store who doesn't have to sell anything to anyone if it does not want to. Also, I saw pharmacy malpractice mentioned in the article. The only thing I could see as malpractice would be to fill the wrong prescription or the wrong dose for a patient. Thoughts?

Dr Wario

Hey you! Want to try this pill?
7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2011
Status
Pharmacist
Just tell them you don't have it, simple as that.

StallionRx

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
Pharmacies aren't obligated to fill any prescription, correct? I see it as a retail store who doesn't have to sell anything to anyone if it does not want to. Also, I saw pharmacy malpractice mentioned in the article. The only thing I could see as malpractice would be to fill the wrong prescription or the wrong dose for a patient. Thoughts?
According to my state board I dont have to fill anything if I dont feel comfortable doing so. It only becomes a legal matter (malpractice) if I fill something incorrectly.

npage148

10+ Year Member
May 2, 2005
Us
Status
Pharmacist
Lawyers really are wonderful people. I bet their next lawsuit will be against pharmacies for their role in getting people hooked on oxy

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
Just because you have the right to not fill doesn't always release you from liability for harm caused by actions not taken. Several years ago a cancer patient sued Wags in my hometown and was awarded some big amount for pain and suffering. She had apparently tried to fill some narcotic pain med overnight and got declined. There are other cases out there.

Doctor M

10+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Clearwater
Status
Pharmacist
Just because you have the right to not fill doesn't always release you from liability for harm caused by actions not taken. Several years ago a cancer patient sued Wags in my hometown and was awarded some big amount for pain and suffering. She had apparently tried to fill some narcotic pain med overnight and got declined. There are other cases out there.
I can tell you if anyone tried to sue us, i would turn right around and sue the Federal Govt for putting us in this position. I get 50 bottles a month of any oxy product which includes oxycontin, oxycodone all strengths. Determining who needs it is not my job.

Its Z

Retired
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
I can tell you if anyone tried to sue us, i would turn right around and sue the Federal Govt for putting us in this position. I get 50 bottles a month of any oxy product which includes oxycontin, oxycodone all strengths. Determining who needs it is not my job.
Don't sue the Feds. You won't win.

Its Z

Retired
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2010
Status
Pharmacist

Its Z

Retired
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2010
Status
Pharmacist

PharmDstudent

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Where are you from, exactly?

At night, I decline scripts that are suspicious. If someone came in with a script from MD Anderson, no problem. If it was from a known pill mill, no way.

So what's next? Sudafed refusal lawsuits? :laugh:

ChicagoPharmD

5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2011
Status
Pharmacist
I can't imagine that this case actually went to court - I assume this was a settlement out of court? If the pharmacist was actually found liable for harm, then I want more details!!!