Getting a B.S. in Pharmaceutical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmacistApril

Pre-Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about applying to ACP for Pharm D and Pharmaceutical Sciences if I don't get into Pharm D do you think I would have a better chance of getting into pharmacy school with a B.S. in Pharmaceutical Sciences?

Members don't see this ad.

PharmacistApril said:
I am thinking about applying to ACP for Pharm D and Pharmaceutical Sciences if I don't get into Pharm D do you think I would have a better chance of getting into pharmacy school with a B.S. in Pharmaceutical Sciences?

If you can get accepted into a BS pharmaceutical Science program, you should be able to get into a pharmacy school. Just apply to more schools, it is cheaper, better, and more efficient.

PharmacistApril said:

Sounds like a painful degree to be honest; I'd hate to study this stuff (there is certainly some overlap) without knowing if I was even going to practice it.

Members don't see this ad :)
PharmacistApril said:

No - if you want to get a BS, do it in something which will be useful. I don't see much use for a BS in pharmaceutical science (altho its been explained to me before). Its hard enough for graduates with BS in biochem or mol bio or chemistry to get jobs while waiting to apply.

sdn1977 said:
No - if you want to get a BS, do it in something which will be useful. I don't see much use for a BS in pharmaceutical science (altho its been explained to me before). Its hard enough for graduates with BS in biochem or mol bio or chemistry to get jobs while waiting to apply.

What would you consider a useful major?

A number of schools with pharmacy programs are now beginning to offer the BS in Pharm Sci. I believe many of them contain science and business classes allowing graduates the opportunity to go into pharm sales, etc.

The programs, as I see it, provide a pathway for the student who does not get accepted into a pharmd program. They can then just get a BS degree in something related to pharmacy.

I would look the program over very carefully and see what types of classes you would be taking. Talk to the people at the pharm school and ask them what types of careers the BS program would prepare you for after you graduate. If it is something that sounds interesting to you then you may want to enroll.

If you want to go on to a Ph.D program in med chem/biochem/molecular bio or pharmacology, this is the degree to get. It saves you time and allows you to do research. The catch is that you better be hell bent on doing research.