Getting a dental assistantship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello ppl,
Am trying to get work as a dental assistant in california.I am a fresh BDS graduate from India and i wil move to the bay area end of august(currently in India).I have a couple of questions,please help me out:
1)How many hours per week does an assistant have to work?
2)Is the X ray licence a must,can't i find work without it?And cant i get paid say $10/hour without it?
3)What exactly do i put in my resume?Coz' some of you say that we should not show that we may be over qualified for the job.Nt sure what goes into it.
4)Are there any community colleges around the bay area where this X ray licence course is conducted?
5)I am not married,i heard from a friend who works as an assistant that you pay higher taxes in California if you are single.IS this true?If yes,what is the percent?
6)Last question,sorry :oops: .How much wil this course cost me?
Thank you for your patience in reading my long list:).Hope you can help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

hello to everyone,
up until now all the posts that i have read regarding dental assistantship are pertaining to the CA region.i'm based at atlanta and i request u guys to take the time out and share any info that u have regarding applying for the post of a DA.i hope this thread is still alive and i get to hear something for u guys.
AJ

hey there,
what books do u recommend reading?whats the interview like ?what do they ask u?and finally whats the job like.....what r the things that u r expected to do?
AJ

Members don't see this ad :)
tengu3 said:
As I said the resume makes a difference. My wife's first draft yielded no call back, the second and third draft gave better and better results.

Did you also add a cover letter?

- tengu
hi there,
i have been reading yr posts as regularly as i have been applying for the dental assistantship.cud u elaborate a lil more abt what i really shud write and shud not write in my resume in order to get at least a call back for some dental office.
this cud make a big difference in helping me to land a decent job.
AJ

My experince was in the north east area, NY and NJ.
they ask you if you know how to do temporary crowns, and polish them. for some offices that's very important, some other small offices do not pay to much attention to that.
they ask you how much do you expect to be pay must of then pay by hour, and of course they usually take people with experience so... that is very very important.
be prepares to clean all the mess they leave behind and to do it fast, plus some Doctors don't like when you talk to the patients :mad: so try to keep your rmouth shut while working ( not all doctors are the same but that was my experince).
you must know the name of all the instruments in english, and work base on four hand dentistry, wich is easy once you practice.
The x-ray license is also necessary, but if the employer is not so exigent and you tell them you are plannig on take the course you'llget it.
usually they start paying 13.00 up to 17.00/h.
try to get a good recomendation letter before you leave the job that will help your resume for the next interview and if you ever think about applying to any dental school, a good letter always help :thumbup:
again this is base on my experince, hope it help a littlle bit

hi there
I live in bronx, ny. i' doing my preperation for nbde1 & I was thinking to try as a dental assistant for some time could you please tell me about any short courses as dental assistant in ny
pickabu said:
My experince was in the north east area, NY and NJ.
they ask you if you know how to do temporary crowns, and polish them. for some offices that's very important, some other small offices do not pay to much attention to that.
they ask you how much do you expect to be pay must of then pay by hour, and of course they usually take people with experience so... that is very very important.
be prepares to clean all the mess they leave behind and to do it fast, plus some Doctors don't like when you talk to the patients :mad: so try to keep your rmouth shut while working ( not all doctors are the same but that was my experince).
you must know the name of all the instruments in english, and work base on four hand dentistry, wich is easy once you practice.
The x-ray license is also necessary, but if the employer is not so exigent and you tell them you are plannig on take the course you'llget it.
usually they start paying 13.00 up to 17.00/h.
try to get a good recomendation letter before you leave the job that will help your resume for the next interview and if you ever think about applying to any dental school, a good letter always help :thumbup:
again this is base on my experince, hope it help a littlle bit

i have been looking for a da job for 3 months now in md area..nothing positive till now..has anyone done a x ray licensure in maryland area...any info would be appreciated...

i have been looking for a da job for 3 months now in md area..nothing positive till now..has anyone done a x ray licensure in maryland area...any info would be appreciated...

hi,
the dental office i MD work with needs another DA, which city in MD r u in? we r in germantown,send in your resume, any related work exp,hours looking for and the expected length of service to my emial id at [email protected].

hi

I am looking for dental assistant job in california (bay area ) alomost for 2months. Still no luck :(. Please somebody guide me about X ray certificate course.

Thanks
-Anushri

yOU CAN CONACT THE DEntal board of california, dbc for info egarding the xray courses,( can google for it on the web) it is usually a 2-3 day course, costs about 500 dollars. You need to have a socail security number to get a license .
After attending the 1st day of the course, you have to do atleast 3 FMX at patients in a clinic , this is the homework assignment, this is a prerequisite to attending the exam. tHE EXAM HAS BOTH A CLINICAL PART, Ewhere you have to take an fmx on a patient , develop and mount the xrays and a theory, whish is multple choice . You will get all the study material when you atted the 1st day of the course. As a foreign trained dentost you will not have anytrouble passing the exam.
Be AWAre that you need to have a social security number otherwwise no matter what you won` get a license. Hope this helps.

thanks Ash23wariya for the info...

I do have social security number.....i did search for dis course......hey have u taken this course in the past? ...if yes...please let me know the exact place where u took course....

PS..i am waitlisted in UCSF too ...friday was the last date to pay for the selected candidates...so lets see..

thanks again and good luck...

Regards
-Anushri

and hey anushri...dont froget to chk eh craiglist cso u'l see a lto of job openings there for u....

can any one guide what to write in resume and how to improve resume
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
can any1 tell me about da job in colorado.am on F1 n studying in kaplan institute 4 nbde. kaplamn don provide work prmit n ssn. is there any chance:( that i can do da job. plz rply. thnx

Hi Kosha!
Thanks for the post, i'm facing the same problem...plus dont want to do anything stupid while i apply to various dds programs.
It is frustrating that after 5 yrs of dental schoo l& working for a couple of yrs after that we still can't legally work as "Dental Assistants" !!!???:wow: +pissed+

Hi,
I too m a foreign trained dentist,workin as DA for the last 6mons.
MY sincere advise to all seekin da is, ITS really not worth unless u are paid >15 dollars,or if the clinic is hitech n u think u will learn.I have not learnt anything,n moreover u hav 2 slog,n pretend that u r not a dentist,fortunately i m workin wt a dentist,who discusses cases with me.
For anyone gets paid 10-12$,without all the fuss of xray certification, I have come to this conclusion after much thought.its worth only if u r really paid well/u r learnin sumthin new.....The choice is yours,,,,All the best..
stanle

Hey, I just remembered this. I friend told me that beign a foreign trained dentist you could practice in Florida as a dental hygienist, as long as you passed the Dental hygienist examination (written and practical) OR if you passed the NBDE part 1.

But you should verify that....
hi meggs,

I am new to this website.can u plz tell me whether only NBDE-1 is sufficient for dental hygienist job in FL or shud I appear for clinical examination also? bcoz i m tensed abt the clinical examination

thanku in advance

hey can neone tell me where to do xray course from in NY most of the links given r for california?

hey can neone tell me where to do xray course from in NY most of the links given r for california?

i think the best thing would be to call one of the dental schools NYU or SUNY buffalo, whichever is convenient, and ask them about radiology certification course, or visit their website, and in their events they might mention if they r gonna conduct a course anytime soon...hope this helps..... anyone plz correct me if i m wrong....

hi all..

lot of thanks to all of u who have posted here.

this provides lot of information.

hi im dentist in reynosa but i want get permanent residency by working in mcallen as dental assistant

where i can get the x-ray certification in mcallen or nearby ?

i made my service as a dental assitant

anybody can send me one email whit what i need to put in my resume hope can help because i really want this?

my email is [email protected] or [email protected]

Hi
I am trying to get some info for my brother who lives in India and is in final year BDS.
1. To start with which tests are required to get into DDS in USA
2. how mnay courses (years) would one has to study onc eyou have BDS from India
3. which are recommended schools?
4. what is fee structure (I guess one can work on campus)
Thank you

Hi
I am trying to get some info for my brother who lives in India and is in final year BDS.
1. To start with which tests are required to get into DDS in USA
NBDE Part 1 and TOEFL are must and if he have more time can take NBDE part II.
Hi
2. how mnay courses (years) would one has to study onc eyou have BDS from India
2- 3 years depend on school - basicaly you go back to dental school

Hi
3. which are recommended schools?
Dentistry is a very competitive program now in US. They have around 30 dental school that accepted foreign graduate dental students. Some schools require Green card or US citizen. Since it is very competitive, I would suggest apply as many school as you can and choose the one you like when you got accepted.

Hi
4. what is fee structure (I guess one can work on campus)

The fee is at least 50K/ year and can go beyond that. With abundance of requirement to be able to graduate, I don't think you have time to work on campus. I wish my 2 cents work. Good luck!

hi every one i m new here in this forum.i m an international graduate living in illinois and i m in a search of da job aswell is any of u from illinois .what r the rules here in illinois cz i have no idea about assistant job here in usa..plz help me.

hi! i am ridhi ,living in new jersey. i saw ur post and was interested in a little more info. u said u were working at a dental office. i am a foreign trained dentist. did u just approach the dental office or did u have to pass an exam or take a course.thanks for the info. could u also please forward me an example of how a resume for the job would look like.thanks in advance.

Would someone know what schools offer X Ray license and RDA courses in chicago area, IL?

hi! i am ridhi ,living in new jersey. i saw ur post and was interested in a little more info. u said u were working at a dental office. i am a foreign trained dentist. did u just approach the dental office or did u have to pass an exam or take a course.thanks for the info. could u also please forward me an example of how a resume for the job would look like.thanks in advance.

hi ridhi!..im livin in new jersey too.....i am also a foreign trained dentist from india..lookin out for similar information...any luck with anything?....we could probably help each other out...

hi,
m currently in california on student visa
so i dont have a work permit....
is it somehow possible for me to work as a paid dental assistant here??
thanks