Getting a letter from a Master's holder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anotherriver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, as the title says, I would like to know how getting a letter of rec. from a person who has master's degree is looked upon from the admissions. I'm thinking of getting 2 from my mentors (ph.d.) and 1 from a place where I plan on intern (master's). Do lots of schools require all three letters to come from ph.d. holders? Would this depend on whether I'm applying to Ph.D. or Psy.D?
Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, as the title says, I would like to know how getting a letter of rec. from a person who has master's degree is looked upon from the admissions. I'm thinking of getting 2 from my mentors (ph.d.) and 1 from a place where I plan on intern (master's). Do lots of schools require all three letters to come from ph.d. holders? Would this depend on whether I'm applying to Ph.D. or Psy.D?
Thanks,

It really depends on the program. I applied to some programs that specifically stated that they wanted three LORs from faculty. Make sure you read and follow each program's application requirements. And, if you are in doubt, contact the program and ask.

I think if your clinical supervisor at an institution was a master's holder, then that makes more sense if you want to go to a balanced clinical psychology program or PsyD, even maybe over a professor so long as you have two already. Outside of that, it depends on the program

I only had one letter from a faculty member. The other was from someone with a master's (my clinical supervisor), and someone who had just recently received their PhD (I did my research under the supervision of a graduate student). I didn't have any problems with interviews, etc., but I'm also applying to school psych programs, not clinical.