Getting a Urology elective/rotation as an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knight_MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
'ello there....

Well I've heard that Urology is now getting so competitive, High USMLE scores are at many occasions not enough to secure a good spot at a decent Urology residency program.... so you kinda have to have US Clinical experience... either as an undergrad (rotations/electives) or postgrad (Externships/Observerships).....

well... is that even true?

And are there any 1st/2nd hand suggestions for places that offer good Urology rotations/electives on the East Coast?

PS - I'm not even sure if "rotations" are the same as "electives"... if not, which is the one needed?

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure you can secure a couple of urology rotations on the east coast...esp in NY...as far as actually securing a spot...is a whole different story...

Yes, rotations are the same as electives.

I am a IMG and did end up getting a spot in Urology on the first try. I will tell you from the get-go...this was a nightmare! Nothing against my new colleagues in Urology (or for any other surgical sub-specialty for that matter), they just don't need IMGs. There are a limited amount of spots each year (225 or so for urology) and each spot is very competitive amongst US medical grads.

This should be your plan:

1. Kick ass on USMLE 1 and 2
2. Great marks for Surgery Core
3. Do a couple Urology electives
-this is where it gets tricky.
you have to consider this- getting the great "name brand" letters of recommendation will most likely come from the places that won't end up taking you. so, try to do one at a great place with a big name and make sure you get that PD on your side. also, do another at a smaller place that you may have a better shot at getting. it will be tough either way.

the best thing i can tell you is that you have to be willing to do anything and everything in order to get into this field as an IMG....research and taking a year off...and etc...

best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
wow Doc21ny... you've been MOST helpful... rather depressing but VERY helpful thanx a lot..

Well I can only afford one elective, and I'll try to do it in the month before my final year results are out, after which I'm officially no longer a 'final year student'.......

So u're talking about applying to an Elective at which I'll have a shot for a residency spot... well I have a question there:

-Does that mean that you only applied for University Hospitals in the Match? What about community, and Uni-affiliated hospitals? It's gotta be less competitive there, isn't it?

-What about post-grad Externships? How helpful are these?

-RESEARCH is my nightmare. It means taking time off (which I can't afford) and actually finding a research contact..... well how did u do urs? Do you know any volunteer/paying research contacts?

-Can I do this research during my internship year back at my home country, or is this of no value?

-Publications, did u do any? and when?

Really happy for you man :) Looks like ur Urology spot was very well-deserved. Best of luck there ;)

He had already finished a residency in general surgery in his home country and had very extensive research experience. It appeared that prior to residency he spent a lot of time doing research.

Here is a useful link that gives you all the information that you need to know for Urology applications

http://www.urologymatch.com/guide/becoming_a_urologist

I would be happy to help you with your clinical training requests as we have programs available to train you clinically with a practicing Urologist in the US. You will get the chance to gain the LOR that is also required.

You can email me directly with questions I will be happy to share with you what I have available :)

[email protected]