Getting a Urology elective/rotation as an IMG

Started by Knight_MD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Knight_MD

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
'ello there....

Well I've heard that Urology is now getting so competitive, High USMLE scores are at many occasions not enough to secure a good spot at a decent Urology residency program.... so you kinda have to have US Clinical experience... either as an undergrad (rotations/electives) or postgrad (Externships/Observerships).....

well... is that even true?

And are there any 1st/2nd hand suggestions for places that offer good Urology rotations/electives on the East Coast?

PS - I'm not even sure if "rotations" are the same as "electives"... if not, which is the one needed?
 
I am sure you can secure a couple of urology rotations on the east coast...esp in NY...as far as actually securing a spot...is a whole different story...
 
Yes, rotations are the same as electives.

I am a IMG and did end up getting a spot in Urology on the first try. I will tell you from the get-go...this was a nightmare! Nothing against my new colleagues in Urology (or for any other surgical sub-specialty for that matter), they just don't need IMGs. There are a limited amount of spots each year (225 or so for urology) and each spot is very competitive amongst US medical grads.

This should be your plan:

1. Kick ass on USMLE 1 and 2
2. Great marks for Surgery Core
3. Do a couple Urology electives
-this is where it gets tricky.
you have to consider this- getting the great "name brand" letters of recommendation will most likely come from the places that won't end up taking you. so, try to do one at a great place with a big name and make sure you get that PD on your side. also, do another at a smaller place that you may have a better shot at getting. it will be tough either way.

the best thing i can tell you is that you have to be willing to do anything and everything in order to get into this field as an IMG....research and taking a year off...and etc...

best of luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
wow Doc21ny... you've been MOST helpful... rather depressing but VERY helpful thanx a lot..

Well I can only afford one elective, and I'll try to do it in the month before my final year results are out, after which I'm officially no longer a 'final year student'.......

So u're talking about applying to an Elective at which I'll have a shot for a residency spot... well I have a question there:

-Does that mean that you only applied for University Hospitals in the Match? What about community, and Uni-affiliated hospitals? It's gotta be less competitive there, isn't it?

-What about post-grad Externships? How helpful are these?

-RESEARCH is my nightmare. It means taking time off (which I can't afford) and actually finding a research contact..... well how did u do urs? Do you know any volunteer/paying research contacts?

-Can I do this research during my internship year back at my home country, or is this of no value?

-Publications, did u do any? and when?

Really happy for you man 🙂 Looks like ur Urology spot was very well-deserved. Best of luck there 😉
 
He had already finished a residency in general surgery in his home country and had very extensive research experience. It appeared that prior to residency he spent a lot of time doing research.
 
Here is a useful link that gives you all the information that you need to know for Urology applications

http://www.urologymatch.com/guide/becoming_a_urologist

I would be happy to help you with your clinical training requests as we have programs available to train you clinically with a practicing Urologist in the US. You will get the chance to gain the LOR that is also required.

You can email me directly with questions I will be happy to share with you what I have available 🙂

[email protected]