Getting an Orthodontics Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thesellsword

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a student at UPenn Dental school. I have about a 3.5 GPA. If I am unable to improve it, could I still get into an ortho program? What could I do to help my chances? I was thinking maybe to do a GPR and then apply....would this get my low GPA overlooked? I have one publication, but I am not even among the top 2-3 authors. I also hold leadership position in ASDA. Any advice would help. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

i would recommend getting strong letters of recommendations and push for higher GPA..make sure you do well on the GRE.. See if you can do another research project and being the first author will help you..just stay positive and work hard.

Getting first author..:I don't know how possible that is. I hear the GRE doesn't matter so much. Will being from UPenn help? I'm trying to pull the GPA up. Would a GPR help my grades to be overlooked?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
just curious, what's considered a good gpa? i come from a no-gpa school. 3.5 sounds really good to me, but what do i know.

Apparently at Penn 3.7 is average, so I'm pretty poorly off. Thanks for that article...though at Penn they don't rank beyond top 10...so I don't know where that leaves me....

I dont think GPR is highly considered for ortho admission honestly.
Stellar LOR, research, GRE would help.
Good luck.
Most importanly, it's about knowing ppl unfortunately.
Speak to UPenn ortho chair or director.
Get to know them and express your sincere passion

Well hopefully knowing people would help...you guys really think GRE is that important? Not all programs even require it. I'm interested in the paid programs in NY, they usually require work experience, so hopefully that'll translate to not caring AS much about GPA

Hope the following information can be helpful for you and other prospective applicants.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19905865/?i=48&from=orthodontic residency

This study split applicants to their residency who applied in consecutive years into three general categories. They describe average GPAs etc for each category.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16448274/?i=2&from=/22133947/related

This compares how program directors and residents differ in their factors for ranking. You will notice that GRE scores are ranked very highly by program directors as opposed to by residents

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I know this is an older thread but I just want to say you're not alone. I'm in the exact same situation currently. Are there any updates at all? Did you decide to apply?