Getting and moving furniture when starting residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsres

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am worried and in a dilemma about getting and moving furniture during residency. I was accepted into hospital provided housing right by the hospital in New York City but because it needs to be cleaned and prepared it will not be available to move in until the middle of July, after I start training. I do have my own furniture at my parents’ house in Pennsylvania that I got during a previous job before I entered medical school (comfortable queen sized bed, dresser, desk, etc). During my rotations I stayed in furnished rented rooms with families but will now have my own place again. At first I was going to buy everything from a resident who was moving out, but then he did not have everything he said he would (including a dresser and other important things) and I would need to find storage for the things from the time he left to when my room is ready and then find a way to move it. My other plan was to simply move my things 180 miles from PA to New York or get everything I needed from someone else. My uncle who is in his 70’s said he could drive my things to New York using a truck I rent but cannot lift anything heavy. So I will need to get help loading and unloading things. I noticed adds for moving help unloading things on Craig’s list. Any experiences with that?

The rental truck is cheap ($205 for one way rental with all fees and taxes) but the gas and paying for help loading and unloading will be expensive. I will not be able to be in PA to load things since I will have already started residency and will ask to get off to help unload. I will also have to move my things from my temporary housing. So I am asking myself is it worth paying up to $750 to $850 to move my personal things that I own and am comfortable with or use that money towards looking for and buying all new furniture that I would have to sell at a discount and get rid of at the end of training. Once I start training I will probably not want to go through the hassle of looking for things. It is bad enough I will need to move during my first month. If I found something on Craig’s list I would have to pay someone to have it delivered to me. Of course if I moved my own things I would need to move them again at the end of training. I contacted a professional moving company and they wanted $1500 to move everything for me.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah sometimes the $1500 is well worth it. you're right though in that that's usually the minimum moving companies will charge.

I'd take your uncle up on his offer as long as you have family/friends back in PA that can help load the things you've previously set aside as things you want in NY. You've gotta know someone in PA than can help. Hell, pay a high school kid 50 bucks to help load your stuff if you have too. $200 for a truck and another $100 for gas is still cheap. I think you'll find the hassle of finding decent used stuff and then moving it not worth it. It's not like you'll have a ton of free time anyway. $1500? That'd be pushing it for me. That was the decision I had to make and I chose to just pack what I could in the car, drive out there, and garage sale/craigslist the basics. Of course my move was literally 10 times farther than yours. Good luck...

I recently just realized how difficult moving can be! I had an apt full of things...there was no way I was going to leave those behind...

I contacted one of the moving companies and they gave me $1700 estimate for a 140 mile distance...I eventually rented a roundtrip UHaul truck for $280 and $140 for gas. A friend helped me to load and unload. I rented a roundtrip truck because I didn't feel comfortable towing my car with the hitch...

You should go ahead and do it yourself. You can find a free weekend in July. You may also go to emove.com to find profesional people in your area to help load and unload the truck...

I just sold everything I owned when I finished med school (including all furniture and my car). I then moved to the new city with literally only two suitcases of clothes...had to rebuy everything all over again (NOT cheap!).

Rent a furnished room until your residency housing is available.

Take a day or weekend (if you can get a full one off) and go back to PA, get a truck (Penske, UHaul, etc) hire some guys off Craig's list (I've done it and had good luck), have them help you pack and then get some other guys in NY to help you unpack.

It will cost you less than buying all new stuff.

Uhaul doesn't maintain their vehicles until one breaks down. I have had several bad experiences breaking down with a uhaul and having to wait while they come out and "service" it so that I could get back on the road. Not a desirable situation to be in when you have to be somewhere. And their trucks are take diesel fuel, which means higher gas prices. If you book online through penske (or budget) they are actually cheaper than uhaul, and they have newer vehicles that run on regular gas. I actually reserved through both penske and budget. I was planning on canceling with penske because they were slightly more expensive, but when I talked to them, they were so dismayed at the thought of me canceling that they lowered my total cost by $100!
I am paying $459 (tax everything included) for a 16ft truck, a tow (four wheels off the ground) for my car, and a dolly. they also offer a AAA discount if you have it.

Uhaul doesn't maintain their vehicles until one breaks down. I have had several bad experiences breaking down with a uhaul and having to wait while they come out and "service" it so that I could get back on the road. Not a desirable situation to be in when you have to be somewhere. And their trucks are take diesel fuel, which means higher gas prices. If you book online through penske (or budget) they are actually cheaper than uhaul, and they have newer vehicles that run on regular gas. I actually reserved through both penske and budget. I was planning on canceling with penske because they were slightly more expensive, but when I talked to them, they were so dismayed at the thought of me canceling that they lowered my total cost by $100!
I am paying $459 (tax everything included) for a 16ft truck, a tow (four wheels off the ground) for my car, and a dolly. they also offer a AAA discount if you have it.

I've rented from UHaul every time I've moved since college (lots) and never had a problem. Even the times I've rented the 26 foot truck it's taken regular gas and been in good shape. Maybe I've just gotten lucky but I've never gotten stuck with a diesel truck or a broken-down truck.

But moving is a straight-up bitch no matter who you get the truck from.

I've rented from UHaul every time I've moved since college (lots) and never had a problem. Even the times I've rented the 26 foot truck it's taken regular gas and been in good shape. Maybe I've just gotten lucky but I've never gotten stuck with a diesel truck or a broken-down truck.

But moving is a straight-up bitch no matter who you get the truck from.

I agree with you. SDN is full of horror stories about UHaul but I've used hem several times and have never had a problem. Trucks were available, in good condition, took regular gas and never broke down.

Maybe you and I are just lucky or people only post bad stories/experiences.

Besides, the OP is moving from Pennsylvania to NYC...hardly a long haul.

My experience w/uhaul has been terrible as well and I will never use them again. They have screwed up my order before but the worst was when they rented me a truck w/a broken gas gauge and I ran out of gas on the interstate.

Not sure what type of residency you are starting, but it maybe a while before you have a "free weekend". Move your stuff into storage before you start residency. When your place is ready you can move it, and maybe have a few new friends to help you move it. Someone else may be in the same boat, and you can split a truck. Much easier to move stuff cross town in a day then from PA on a weekend. You can also ask if the subsidized housing has any storage, or temporary storage.