PhD/PsyD Getting and transferring license (CA) vs applying for new license in new state (NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Imakeitrainbow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So. I live in California and did my internship and postdoc hours, and passed the EPPP here. I recently applied to take the CPLEE, and am planning to get the CEU courses out of the way soon. I'm also planning on moving to New York in the next few months. My original plan was to get licensed here in CA, and then transfer my license, but now I'm wondering if I should just apply for licensure in New York. I'm thinking about this because NY doesn't require the CPLEE, so all I would have to do to is take the child abuse course . It seems like this would be faster than getting licensed here in CA and then waiting for the board to transfer licensure info, and given that CA has more requirements, I'm closer to licensure in NY than I am in CA. I still want to get licensed in CA, but since I'm moving to NY, I'm most focused on getting licensed there. What do you think? Should I complete CA licensure and then transfer my license, or just go ahead and apply for NY?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

So. I live in California and did my internship and postdoc hours, and passed the EPPP here. I recently applied to take the CPLEE, and am planning to get the CEU courses out of the way soon. I'm also planning on moving to New York in the next few months. My original plan was to get licensed here in CA, and then transfer my license, but now I'm wondering if I should just apply for licensure in New York. I'm thinking about this because NY doesn't require the CPLEE, so all I would have to do to is take the child abuse course . It seems like this would be faster than getting licensed here in CA and then waiting for the board to transfer licensure info, and given that CA has more requirements, I'm closer to licensure in NY than I am in CA. I still want to get licensed in CA, but since I'm moving to NY, I'm most focused on getting licensed there. What do you think? Should I complete CA licensure and then transfer my license, or just go ahead and apply for NY?

If you absolutely meet all NY licensure requirements (double-check this!) and can provide the appropriate documentation, you might skip the expensive California licensure process if you don’t ever plan on practicing in CA. There’s no need for licensure in two states at that point, I’d say.