Getting Anxious during the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATLasagna

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. Get so anxious that I literally freeze up/make the stupidest mistakes of all time.

Any tips for battling test anxiety? I cant seem to find anything that works.

Regards
ML

Members don't see this ad.

I know for some people, me included, the anxiety stems from inadequate preparation for the exam, as in, you get anxious because you think you will do bad (even if you are relatively prepared). If that is the case for you, aside from medication, the only thing that will make you feel calm is if you practice and study so much that there is nothing left to worry about.

Otherwise, you can try medication, or taking practice tests and trying different strategies for calming down your mind, if you can replicate the anxiety during a practice test.

Sir ML!

This is a valid concern that affects many test takers.

Test anxiety, a subset of performance anxiety, is something that requires mental preparation of a whole different sort, and is often overlooked when we discuss MCAT prep.

Indeed, there is an overwhelming level of expectation placed on test takers, as many view this exam as the key that will open the door to their medical school dreams. I invite you to instead think of it not as a key but as a tool.

Think of your medical school application as a tool chest, and you are hoping to become a craftsman worthy of building the bridge to medical school. The MCAT, your GPA, each extra curricular, each work experience, each personal statement, secondary, and interview are the tools you can wield to build that bridge. Not every single tool is required to build a working bridge, and indeed, not every tool need be the latest-and-greatest version of that tool. For example, if we compare the MCAT to a screwdriver, not every craftsman needs a $500 power screwdriver with 50+ attachments, magnetic holders, and a flashlight. Will having that power screwdriver make certain parts of the job go easier? Absolutely! Can you put in screws with a plain handheld manual screwdriver? Absolutely.

And yes, that manual screwdriver may make it take a little longer. But perhaps you have better ECs or have a great personal story or absolutely nail the interview. Those upgraded tools will speed things up in other places that will make up for your trusty manual screwdriver.

So the MCAT is not the end-all-be-all of your application process. A good medical school will evaluate the entirety of an application. A 520 will no more guarantee an admission offer than a 505 will preclude it. Trust in your preparation, trust in yourself, and trust that you will gain something worthwhile from this experience, no matter your score. And don't forget to breathe.

Reactions: 2 users
I can talk about this from personal experience. It is definitely something you need to get under control. I would suggest practicing remaining calm or calming yourself down (there are many ways to do this).

When I took the MCAT for the second time during my first C/P passage I was freaking out so bad I literally thought about just skipping every section and voiding. I read the entire passage and didn't understand it, I guessed on every question because I had no idea, and I was freaking out. I took a couple second and just sat back and breathed. Thought about all the work I put in and told myself just to come back to it. I ended up with a 130 on C/P.

I say you need to get this under control because I never had ANY nervousness taking a practice test. I also (used to) compete in semi stressful situations regularly (BJJ competitions). Obviously this doesn't happen to everyone but it could happen to you. Just try and relax, remind yourself the work you put in, breath, and don't spend 5 minutes on a question you don't understand. Put your best guess and come back. The passage I skipped at the beginning I came back to at the end and it was 100x clearer.

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t be afraid to go to counseling if you’re unable to make progress on this on your own OP.

Reactions: 1 user