Getting Aoa Approval For Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO-Riz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HEy Guys
Just wanted to know if there were any current DO residents who got their first year of ACGME residency approved by the AOA as equivalent tot he internship......And if so how difficult was the process???
I really think this rule needs to change for these 5 states and especially for people going into Psych. It makes no sense and is causing unnecessary stress already to a stressful process!!
Anyways any input regarding this Resolution 42 and how to avoid doing the Osteo internship will be GREATLY appreciated
and best luck to evryone else here on MATCH DAY

Rizwan

Members don't see this ad.

only an MS3 so I don't know the answer to your Q's, but I am sure I will end up in an ACGME residency. What are my options for retaining AOA approval, and why is it important to even worry about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.do-online.osteotech.org/index.cfm?PageID=sir_postdocres42

I suggest reading the resolution...it pretty much lays it out.

This paragraph was especially pertinant to me:

"F.) Staff will utilize criteria for approval of unusual and exceptional circumstances that include: financial hardship, spouse or child illness, lack of osteopathic graduate medical education opportunities in the area or locality (including no AOA approved OGME programs in the area, or no positions available); spouse is currently employed in an established professional career or full-time higher education activity which prohibits relocation. If an applicant documents unusual or exceptional circumstances not included in the above list, such applications will be referred to the Executive Committee of the COPT for approval review and determination."

DistantMets said:
http://www.do-online.osteotech.org/index.cfm?PageID=sir_postdocres42

I suggest reading the resolution...it pretty much lays it out.

This paragraph was especially pertinant to me:

"F.) Staff will utilize criteria for approval of unusual and exceptional circumstances that include: financial hardship, spouse or child illness, lack of osteopathic graduate medical education opportunities in the area or locality (including no AOA approved OGME programs in the area, or no positions available); spouse is currently employed in an established professional career or full-time higher education activity which prohibits relocation. If an applicant documents unusual or exceptional circumstances not included in the above list, such applications will be referred to the Executive Committee of the COPT for approval review and determination."

Exactly! Resolution 42 states that you cannot apply for it until you get into an Allopathic internship/residency. I think it may be difficult to get in since you can't get it approved of ahead of time. I do not know of anyone that has applied for it.

doctorsquared said:
Exactly! Resolution 42 states that you cannot apply for it until you get into an Allopathic internship/residency. I think it may be difficult to get in since you can't get it approved of ahead of time. I do not know of anyone that has applied for it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean for sure, but an allopathic program that takes DO's doesn't care about AOA approval, so you shouldn't worry about getting in based on that. Approval is a roll of the dice certainly. But if you fit into that list of circumstances, you should have a good shot. Just make sure the program will change a rotation or two to accomadate you. If there's a DO program in that same city, you're going to have a hard time (unless you got a fat rejection from the DO program like I did!! I should send them a thank you note.) I think it's actually better that you apply after the fact because they can only consider the city you're in, not where you could have gone.

DO-Riz said:
HEy Guys
Just wanted to know if there were any current DO residents who got their first year of ACGME residency approved by the AOA as equivalent tot he internship......And if so how difficult was the process???
I really think this rule needs to change for these 5 states and especially for people going into Psych. It makes no sense and is causing unnecessary stress already to a stressful process!!
Anyways any input regarding this Resolution 42 and how to avoid doing the Osteo internship will be GREATLY appreciated
and best luck to evryone else here on MATCH DAY

Rizwan

By the way, just because you get the AOA approaval doesn't mean you get licensed by the state. I was talking to my DME this week and he told us being AOA certified and licensed by the state are two ddifferent things. Many people get the AOA approval via the resolution but board certification is really hard to get. As a m matter of fact, he sat on some board licensure meetings and they rejected a couple of people. Sorry to burst your bubble like my bubble was burst. But if you dont plan to live in those 5 states, dont worry about it.

sage2007 said:
By the way, just because you get the AOA approaval doesn't mean you get licensed by the state. I was talking to my DME this week and he told us being AOA certified and licensed by the state are two ddifferent things. Many people get the AOA approval via the resolution but board certification is really hard to get. As a m matter of fact, he sat on some board licensure meetings and they rejected a couple of people. Sorry to burst your bubble like my bubble was burst. But if you dont plan to live in those 5 states, dont worry about it.

Here is what the Michigan Osteopathic Board says:
R 338.102 Licensure by examination.
Rule 2. (1) An applicant for licensure by examination shall submit a
completed application on a form provided by the department, together with
the requisite fee. In addition to meeting the requirements of the code and
the administrative rules promulgated pursuant thereto, an applicant for
licensure by examination shall meet all the requirements of this rule.
(2) The applicant shall have completed the requirements for a degree in
osteopathic medicine from a school of osteopathic medicine approved by the board.
(3) The applicant shall have satisfactorily completed 1 year of
postgraduate clinical training in an internship program approved by the
board in a board-approved hospital or institution. Certification of
satisfactory completion of postgraduate clinical training shall be
accepted by the board not more than 15 days before completion of the training.
(4) The applicant shall have passed all 3 parts of the examination
conducted and scored by the national board of osteopathic medical
examiners, inc.

History: 1944 ACS 16; 1954 AC; 1954 ACS 14, Eff. May 14, 1958; 1954 ACS
67, Eff. May 1, 1971; 1979 AC; 1989 MR 4, Eff. May 13, 1989; 1991 MR 6,
Eff. July 13, 1991.

R 338.103 Examination; required passing score.
Rule 3. The board approves and adopts the examination developed and scored by the national board of osteopathic medical examiners, inc. A passing score on the examination shall be a converted score of not less than 75 on each part of the examination.
R 338.106 Standards for approving schools of osteopathic medicine,
postgraduate clinical training programs, and hospitals and institutions;
adoption by reference.
Rule 6. (1) The board approves and adopts by reference the standards for
accrediting schools of osteopathic medicine adopted by the American
osteopathic association in July, 1987, entitled "Accreditation Policies
and Procedures for Osteopathic Medicine." The board shall consider any
school of osteopathic medicine that is accredited by the American
osteopathic association as a school approved by the board.
A school of
osteopathic medicine that is not accredited by the American osteopathic
association, but that has standards which are substantially equivalent to
the standards adopted by the American osteopathic association in July,
1987, shall be designated by the board as an approved school of
osteopathic medicine.
(2) The board approves and adopts by reference the standards for
approving postgraduate clinical training programs adopted by the committee on colleges of the American osteopathic association in July, 1987,
entitled "Manual of Policies and Procedures for Intern Training Programs."
The board shall consider any postgraduate clinical training program that is
approved by the American osteopathic association as a school approved by the board.
A postgraduate clinical training program that is not
approved by the American osteopathic association, but that has standards which are substantially equivalent to the standards adopted by the American osteopathic association in July, 1987, shall be designated by the board as an approved postgraduate clinical training program.

(bold added for emphasis)
I think the program is okay if it is AOA resolution 42 approved. Has anyone ever heard of a case where someone was resolution 42 approved and got denied a license?