Getting blacklisted from medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwertydo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I know there's tons of posts on this, but I kinda wanted to get direct advice on my own case. I got accepted into a DO school for the previous cycle. It was my top choice school, and I got accepted off the waitlist a few weeks till the start of classes. I had already started the process of reapplication because I assumed I wasn't getting in. When I told my family of the acceptance, they seemed pretty bummed out about it. Turns out that things weren't looking great financially for their business since COVID started, and they just didn't tell me about it cuz they assumed I wouldn't be getting in that cycle. As an international student, I don't get any financial aid, so my family was going to pay out of pocket for medical school, like they did for undergrad. This school also happened to be one of the pricier schools with a TCA of over $110k. My family informed me that they won't be able to pay of it. I reached out to the school and asked if there were scholarships or other financial aid options available to be, but there weren't any. So I had to decline the acceptance, and they encouraged me to apply again next year if I was in a better financial position.
So my question is, will this affect my chances of applying this cycle? I'm looking to apply to other more affordable MD/DO schools, but I don't want to waste any more money if I know that I'm already blacklisted. Will I also be blacklisted from MD schools? Is there someone I could talk to about lifting my "blacklist" status. I really just don't know what to do. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Did you talk to the school that offered you the acceptance about possible deferment options?
@Goro should be able to speak more to how DO adcoms view this. I know MD adcoms would frown pretty heavily on someone turning down a USMD acceptance and attempt reapplying regardless of the reason. However I don’t think they’ll be aware of your acceptance to a AACOMAS school unless you report it yourself.

What is your country of origin, and is it of particular importance for you to come to the US? Do you have medical education options in your country? While the US remains the pinnacle of medical education, it’s certainly not necessary if you want to practice elsewhere. Especially if you have to pay cash or acquire fully private loans to attend a school that’ll cost $100k per year. I don’t know if I could justify paying $100k a year to attend certain DO schools.

Did you talk to the school that offered you the acceptance about possible deferment options?
@Goro should be able to speak more to how DO adcoms view this. I know MD adcoms would frown pretty heavily on someone turning down a USMD acceptance and attempt reapplying regardless of the reason. However I don’t think they’ll be aware of your acceptance to a AACOMAS school unless you report it yourself.

What is your country of origin, and is it of particular importance for you to come to the US? Do you have medical education options in your country? While the US remains the pinnacle of medical education, it’s certainly not necessary if you want to practice elsewhere. Especially if you have to pay cash or acquire fully private loans to attend a school that’ll cost $100k per year. I don’t know if I could justify paying $100k a year to attend certain DO schools.
Tertiary education in general isn't too great in my country. I did college in the US as well. My older sister also went through the same process, college, med school and residency in the US as well, and she ended up staying here afterwards. I would like to keep my options open in terms of where I would like to practice.
As for DO vs MD, I'm one of the few people who may actually prefer DO to MD. Prefer is a strong word, but you catch my drift. My current PCP is a DO, and my physician role model is also a DO. I'm interested in primary care, so DO and MD are almost equivalent to me. My stats lean more towards DO as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tertiary education in general isn't too great in my country. I did college in the US as well. My older sister also went through the same process, college, med school and residency in the US as well, and she ended up staying here afterwards. I would like to keep my options open in terms of where I would like to practice.
As for DO vs MD, I'm one of the few people who may actually prefer DO to MD. Prefer is a strong word, but you catch my drift. My current PCP is a DO, and my physician role model is also a DO. I'm interested in primary care, so DO and MD are almost equivalent to me. My stats lean more towards DO as well.
I didn't question DO vs MD, but you do need to consider the price you're willing to pay out of pocket or via private loans to attend medical school. I'm looking forward to attending my DO school, but I'm also going to the most affordable medical school in the country (short of the tuition-free programs). I don't know if I would have the same enthusiasm attending a DO school elsewhere in excess of $100k per year.

Did your parents have to pay for your sister's education going through this same process? If you're facing paying a substantial amount more than what she/your parents had to pay, that is unfortunate especially considering their business not doing well as of late, but ultimately the money has to come from somewhere. If you are going to reapply and you know you won't be eligible for scholarships or federal backed loans, I'd advise you targeting the schools that are most affordable. If your dream is to practice medicine in the US, you'll need to take out some private loans and enter substantial debt to do so.

So getting back around to your initial question: no, MD schools won't blacklist you for having turned down a DO acceptance (since they won't even know about it unless you report it). I don't know if DO schools would "blacklist" you for having turned down an acceptance to another AACOMAS school.

Did you ask to defer?

Can your sister help fund your medical education?

If you get in this cycle, will your parents be able to pay for your education then?

@pdl2015 I guess the whole thing was kind of my fault. I didn't really look much into total cost of attendance for most schools, just tuition. This school was close to home, which was the main reason I chose it. My strategy for this cycle is to apply broadly around the country. There's schools that cost literally half of what that one does. My parents did fund my sisters education, but she also got some scholarships.

@Hazle I did not. Mostly because I wanted the option to be able to apply to cheaper schools in the coming cycle. My sister actually did offer to take out some loans on my behalf, but my parents were against it and said to try for somewhere cheaper. This cycle, I'm looking at schools around $70k to $80k tca, which would be more affordable for them.

Hi. I know there's tons of posts on this, but I kinda wanted to get direct advice on my own case. I got accepted into a DO school for the previous cycle. It was my top choice school, and I got accepted off the waitlist a few weeks till the start of classes. I had already started the process of reapplication because I assumed I wasn't getting in. When I told my family of the acceptance, they seemed pretty bummed out about it. Turns out that things weren't looking great financially for their business since COVID started, and they just didn't tell me about it cuz they assumed I wouldn't be getting in that cycle. As an international student, I don't get any financial aid, so my family was going to pay out of pocket for medical school, like they did for undergrad. This school also happened to be one of the pricier schools with a TCA of over $110k. My family informed me that they won't be able to pay of it. I reached out to the school and asked if there were scholarships or other financial aid options available to be, but there weren't any. So I had to decline the acceptance, and they encouraged me to apply again next year if I was in a better financial position.
So my question is, will this affect my chances of applying this cycle? I'm looking to apply to other more affordable MD/DO schools, but I don't want to waste any more money if I know that I'm already blacklisted. Will I also be blacklisted from MD schools? Is there someone I could talk to about lifting my "blacklist" status. I really just don't know what to do. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Very sorry to hear of this.

MD and DO schools do not talk to each other.

However, some secondaries ask if you have ever been accepted elsewhere.

Just tell the truth

Reactions: 1 users
Very sorry to hear of this.

MD and DO schools do not talk to each other.

However, some secondaries ask if you have ever been accepted elsewhere.

Just tell the truth
So will I be blacklisted from DO schools then? Will I ever get the chance to explain it to anyone, or will I just be denied secondaries?

If they ask that "have you ever been accepted elsewhere" question, also elaborate on that finance situation if possible.

Reactions: 3 users
Cant you just get a commercial loan or defer a year and work and save money for tuition. And just want to clarify is total cost per year $110 k seems pretty steep. Is that for real

Cant you just get a commercial loan or defer a year and work and save money for tuition. And just want to clarify is total cost per year $110 k seems pretty steep. Is that for real
It's too late to defer now. The tuition was already on the high side, and it's an NYC school so room and board costs a fortune

Take a private loan and go to the school. You can always enter the military and they will pay if off for a number of years of service. Or you can sign up with a hospital job and they may pay off a certain amount in exchange for your employment for a number of years.

Reactions: 1 user

you could of just got a loan. although it would of most likely been a private loan. But im sure there a private student loans with low interest
99% of students get loans, not real financial aid (grant money).

very few people can pay for med school out of pocket like that, without loans

Reactions: 1 user