Getting exempt from orgo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mh2002ny

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I tell all of the medical schools that I apply to that I believe in vitalism and therefore cannot take orgo since it is against my beliefs, would they still accept me? I just read about it in the first page of my orgo textbook, and I think that I have found a new religion. Maybe I can find some vitalist to write me a note or something. I need to know now since orgo starts on Tuesday :( .

Members don't see this ad.

Is this what you are talking about? Uh, you're joking right? I mean, I'm not looking forward to doing organic chem, but I'm not trying to sneak out of it either.

Vitalism Theory

The belief dating to around 1600 that matter was divided into two classes based on behavior with respect to heat: organic and inorganic. Inorganic material could be melted but could always be recovered by removing the heat source. Organic compounds changed form upon heating and could not be recovered by removing the heat source. The proposed explanation for the difference between organic and inorganic compounds was the Vitalism Theory, which stated that inorganic materials did not contain the "vital force" of life and lasted until the mid-nineteenth century.

electric said:
Is this what you are talking about? Uh, you're joking right? I mean, I'm not looking forward to doing organic chem, but I'm not trying to sneak out of it either.

Vitalism Theory

The belief dating to around 1600 that matter was divided into two classes based on behavior with respect to heat: organic and inorganic. Inorganic material could be melted but could always be recovered by removing the heat source. Organic compounds changed form upon heating and could not be recovered by removing the heat source. The proposed explanation for the difference between organic and inorganic compounds was the Vitalism Theory, which stated that inorganic materials did not contain the "vital force" of life and lasted until the mid-nineteenth century.

You got it.

Plus in the textbook, it says that many people still believe in vitalism.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL. i would love to see the look on the adcoms faces if soemone ever used this excuse for real...

lol....ur funny...i dont think they would accept u...and even if they did...u need to take the MCAT which is 40% of the bio section...u would bomb it!

don't even think about pulling this one

drguy22 said:
lol....ur funny...i dont think they would accept u...and even if they did...u need to take the MCAT which is 40% of the bio section...u would bomb it!

my MCAT had almost no organic and i wanted lots since i had just completed my summer course 4 days before the MCAT.

and to the OP, i think adcoms will laugh :laugh: :laugh: maybe one with a good sense of humor will read your app...pray about it

drguy22 said:
lol....ur funny...

Funny? How am I funny? Funny like a clown? Funny like I amuse you? How am I f'ing funny?

UseUrHeadFred said:
...you're pre-chiropractic...

Do you even have to take the MCAT for chiropractic school?

Anyways, to the OP, dude, wake up! No way in hell is an adcom going to let you pass on orgo. It is commonly known as a "weed-out" class, so if you give up even before the first day, well buddy, you have been "weeded out."

I find it funny that you took this post seriously.

I start ochem tomorrow and I'm looking foward to it.

Orgo is not that hard. You will be fine. Besides, I actually enjoyed that course.