Getting Fired!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDimino

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As July 1st approaches, I beginning to have more and more anxiety about remembering next to nothing and really screwing up.... I have heard that a few people from my program have been fired last year and am stressing out that this is going to happen to me...

I was wondering if anybody knew of any resident that was recently fired, and if so, what where they fired for? Just wnat to make sure not to repeat their mistakes :(

Members don't see this ad.

a few basic but general recommendations. the key to intern year is basically keeping your head down and working hard. that being said:

1) Don't lie. Don't lie. And Don't lie. This is the fastest way to get fired. If you didn't have time to see the patient, say so. If you did not order the test, say so. Etc, etc.

2) "Load the boat". Keep everyone on board. If a patient is not doing well, let some one else know. The upper level resident may pick up on something that indicates the patient is doing worse than you suspect.

3) Work hard. Write you notes. see your consults.

Keep your nose clean. Surgery staff are like sharks. Once blood is in the water, they begin to circle. If the word gets out that you, lie or are lazy, etc the micrscope will come out.

a few basic but general recommendations. the key to intern year is basically keeping your head down and working hard. that being said:

1) Don't lie. Don't lie. And Don't lie. This is the fastest way to get fired. If you didn't have time to see the patient, say so. If you did not order the test, say so. Etc, etc.

2) "Load the boat". Keep everyone on board. If a patient is not doing well, let some one else know. The upper level resident may pick up on something that indicates the patient is doing worse than you suspect.

3) Work hard. Write you notes. see your consults.

Keep your nose clean. Surgery staff are like sharks. Once blood is in the water, they begin to circle. If the word gets out that you, lie or are lazy, etc the micrscope will come out.

well said

Members don't see this ad :)
Coming from a program that did have a reputation for firing people I would say that the top 5 reasons for getting a pink slip are lies, more lies, lying, super-duper lying and mega lies.

I've often heard attendings say they can deal with ignorant, they can deal with lackluster technical skills but they cannot abide having someone they can't trust. Its not fun being an attending and wondering if the resident telling you that the patient is stable and you don't need to come in is being truthful. Of course, that assessment comes with experience but NEVER ever lie about whether you've done something or not...its much better to take the heat and admit you didn't.

I've heard of some programs firing residents for what amounts to poor ABSITE scores. Of course, programs aren't supposed to use the in-training exam scores to make decisions about resident advancement, but IMHO many do. However, they have to officially find another reason to fire you rather than exam scores, so things like lying, unprofessional behavior (being rude to co-workers, allied health care workers, patients and families), drug and alcohol abuse, "behavioral problems" (ie, not answering your pages, not showing up when you say you will, repeated tardiness, etc.) will all go into your file and make an appearance when it comes time to decide about the contracts for next year.

Its fairly hard to get fired for most decent residents, but as noted above, if you gain a reputation as a liar, a cheat, untrustworthy or just plain unpleasant, all eyes will be on you looking for a reason to fire you.

So:

1) if you forget to order a test, check on the results, know what the labs are, etc. - own up to it and fix it. Don't lie about it.
2) answer your G-D pages. Make sure when you're in the OR that someone else answers your pages. Not all pages are for minor things and sometimes important issues will go undealt with because the nurse keeps paging you (despite you not answering).
3) go see the patient - see your consults in due fashion (we had a 30 minute window in which to see ours); if you're going to be late, let the service requesting your consult know.
4) load the boat; when things start going downhill, let your Chief know. Most Chiefs will take the blame for something when it goes wrong...after all, they are responsible for at least some of your education. But if it gets found out that you never told them that you started your post-op AAA on a new drip, your arse is going down.
5) call your own consults; don't let the students call or the nurse. YOU are the best source of information for the consultant and its greatly appreciated.
6) when you order tests, know the results. If the results aren't back by evening rounds, know when they will be (the stat CT scan hasn't been done and its two hours after you ordered it? Call Rads...find out why and when its being done. Better yet, give them heads up about any stat orders.)
7) even when you are tired and hungry and sex-deprived, try to be as pleasant as possible. It goes a long way.

Awesome post. I envision that mega-lies are lies that are screamed at the top of ones lungs. But, open to interpretations.

The advice, on further thought, actually flies in the face of some advice you get going into residency. I heard/read somewhere that you should never as a resident not have done something -- just say you have and then go do it after. I always thought that sounded like a really bad idea.

The advice, on further thought, actually flies in the face of some advice you get going into residency. I heard/read somewhere that you should never as a resident not have done something -- just say you have and then go do it after. I always thought that sounded like a really bad idea.

I think that bad advice, but with comment...

First, sure...its better to have always done something. But if you didn't and you are faced with being questioned about it:

Its probably always bad advise as a junior resident to lie. As a senior resident, you know the system more and probably can figure out what you can "get away" with.

If the lie is about whether or not you've seen a patient - bad one ("mega lie"): don't do it.

If the lie is about whether everything is done for a patient's discharge and you know you have to only sign the order, you can probably get away with saying "yes, everything is done". But then again, not sure that warrants a lie. Let's see...

Let's say that the attending wanted you to check a certain lab test and you didn't think to order it. You can say "we added it on, its not back yet" and probably not get caught (assuming that you or someone can expeditiously call the lab/enter the order). Only works with attendings that don't check the order system to see what time you put the order in. Probably goes without saying that if you are caught, even in these "little lies", everything else ever after becomes suspect.

But in general, I think its a bad idea to lie because the repercussions if you're caught are much worse than a little sigh of disgust or even yelling from the attending when you admit having not done x, y and z.

So here is where you have to decide what's a lie and what's a huge fat whopper of a lie that you'd better not do.

Yup, thats what I figured.

I think that bad advice, but with comment...

First, sure...its better to have always done something. But if you didn't and you are faced with being questioned about it:

Its probably always bad advise as a junior resident to lie. As a senior resident, you know the system more and probably can figure out what you can "get away" with.

If the lie is about whether or not you've seen a patient - bad one ("mega lie"): don't do it.

If the lie is about whether everything is done for a patient's discharge and you know you have to only sign the order, you can probably get away with saying "yes, everything is done". But then again, not sure that warrants a lie. Let's see...

Let's say that the attending wanted you to check a certain lab test and you didn't think to order it. You can say "we added it on, its not back yet" and probably not get caught (assuming that you or someone can expeditiously call the lab/enter the order). Only works with attendings that don't check the order system to see what time you put the order in. Probably goes without saying that if you are caught, even in these "little lies", everything else ever after becomes suspect.

But in general, I think its a bad idea to lie because the repercussions if you're caught are much worse than a little sigh of disgust or even yelling from the attending when you admit having not done x, y and z.

So here is where you have to decide what's a lie and what's a huge fat whopper of a lie that you'd better not do.

Bottom Line: Never, Ever, EVER lie!

If caught with your pants down, try something like "I'll take care of it" or "its in the works" and divert to something else. If you must, apologize (only once), and leave it at that. Don't beat yourself down in front of your attending... and don't lie...