Getting in without a Bachelors degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattcomfort88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the Pennsylvania school of optometry allow students without a bachelors degree to matriculate? I was looking into it and I couldn't find any information about them granting a bachelors degree after a year or two to students entering without one unless such students attended a certain list of affiliated undergraduate schools. The only information I found said that students part of the accelerated programs with a specific list of universities can matriculate into the optometry school for their fourth year, after which their undergraduate institution will grant them their bachelors degree. I do not go to any of the schools listed as part of that program, however Salus is my first choice and I won't apply unless I could get in.

Members don't see this ad.

Does the Pennsylvania school of optometry allow students without a bachelors degree to matriculate? I was looking into it and I couldn't find any information about them granting a bachelors degree after a year or two to students entering without one unless such students attended a certain list of affiliated undergraduate schools. The only information I found said that students part of the accelerated programs with a specific list of universities can matriculate into the optometry school for their fourth year, after which their undergraduate institution will grant them their bachelors degree. I do not go to any of the schools listed as part of that program, however Salus is my first choice and I won't apply unless I could get in.

You really should contact them directly. That's not the kind of thing you want to rely on an answer from an internet forum. You need that info straight from the horses mouth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most Pennsylvania State Schools have a pre-optometry program. It is a three-year program in which students take their fourth year at PCO. After successful completion of your fourth year you’re awarded your B.S in Biology. An OD I work with took this route and she loved it, and I graduated from a university that offered it. One downside is taking the OAT during your fall semester your junior year. Meaning you might not have all of the necessary course work under your belt in order to succeed on the exam. And I am quite certain that PCO only takes students from the accredited programs.

You need to have strong stats in other area if getting in without a bachelor degree is your only option.