Getting into vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amync

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I am currently going back to school (I am 21) and am just starting my 2nd semester at college, so I have about 4 years to get this experience in. My in state vet school of choice would be NC State, which requires 400 hours of vet experience overseen by a DVM.

I have been applying to vet assistant positions with no luck - almost no one here wants to work with a school schedule. Plus I live in Asheville, so my options are kind of limited. I've asked a couple vets if I could volunteer but have gotten negative responses due to the fact that I wouldn't be covered by their insurance if anything happened.

NC State also requires different types of experience in three different areas. any idea of how I could go about doing so when my town is pretty limited with variety? I have emailed the only wildlife vet with no response, and I feel really bad bothering him over and over. Any ideas/recommendations? what did you do to get experience/how many hours did you have to be able to get accepted to vet school?

Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on your current level of animal/vet experience, it may be easier to look at shadowing or volunteering for a shelter veterinarian. Potential pros of shelter vets: more hands-on, variety of cases/species, flexible hours, less liability??, they need the help/may be more willing to train, etc. That's where I got the majority of my rabbit & dog/cat animal and vet experiences! Worth looking into to get your foot in the door!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Have you tried asking if you could merely shadow? not touching anything, just watching. that counts as veterinary experience and would help you get your foot in the door to move up.

Reactions: 1 user
Depending on your current level of animal/vet experience, it may be easier to look at shadowing or volunteering for a shelter veterinarian. Potential pros of shelter vets: more hands-on, variety of cases/species, flexible hours, less liability??, they need the help/may be more willing to train, etc. That's where I got the majority of my rabbit & dog/cat animal and vet experiences! Worth looking into to get your foot in the door!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This is a great idea! Thank you! Not sure why shelter medicine didn't cross my mind!

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile