Getting "involved" as an M3 student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoyohomieg5432

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the beginning of my M3 year and I am trying to think of ways to try and beef up my application for residency. I think my weakest component is probably extracurriculars at this point. Unfortunately, I did not get involved in too much as an M1/M2. I was in a club leadership role (not president though), did some volunteering at a clinic for uninsured, was involved in some intramural sports teams.. but that's about all I did within the school. I was involved in other things outside of school that I enjoy but they probably aren't something you can put on an application (fitness things, traveling, fishing, etc)..

Anybody have any suggestions of things to get involved in/things you did as an M3? I know most of the clubs at our school generally are just M1s and M2s, where the M2s take the leadership role and the upperclassmen kind of vanish.

Members don't see this ad.

I would focus on doing well in your clerkships more than extracurriculars. Doing bad during your third year due to having too much on your plate looks worse than not being involved with clubs/interest groups. Also based on your brief description of club/volunteering experience, I say you are pretty well off compared to many.

Reactions: 3 users
Sounds to me like your extra-curriculars are fine.

This isn't like applying for college or med school. Residencies general care more about things like letters of recommendation, clerkship grades, research, and step I score.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Research.

Reactions: 2 users
my role in the club was just treasurer for a year.. and i don't really have any other continuous experiences.. you really think EC's dont matter at this point?

You know what's better than all the extracurricular clubs put together?

Work really hard for an attending preceptor in the field you are interested in. Get to know him/her well and eventually ask for a LOR. A good LOR from a respected preceptor in the field will take you much further than any treasurer/Vice President/captain sort of thing. It's even better if you worked on a research project with that person. Start planning

Reactions: 1 user
you really think EC's dont matter at this point?

Why would they?
Residency = a job.

Do you think if you applied to be the manager of a Dairy Queen that they would care if you were part of the Ice Cream Interest group? Of course not because attending meetings with other randos has nothing to do with the skills or attributes necessary to perform the job you are applying to.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

do research in your specialty of interest.

People sign up for the most ridiculous positions and clubs at my school, it's an absolute joke. There is no chance in hell that residencies will care about your 1 year as parliamentarian of gestational diabetes club

Reactions: 1 users
my role in the club was just treasurer for a year.. and i don't really have any other continuous experiences.. you really think EC's dont matter at this point?
What is your intended specialty? Research is essential for the more competitive specialties. Other than that, no one really cares that much. My ecs were pretty much nonexistent, and I matched without a problem.

parliamentarian of gestational diabetes club

LOL

What is your intended specialty? Research is essential for the more competitive specialties. Other than that, no one really cares that much. My ecs were pretty much nonexistent, and I matched without a problem.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm wondering if research is necessary for matching radiology. I wanna go into diagnostic rads.

LOL

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm wondering if research is necessary for matching radiology. I wanna go into diagnostic rads.

Not required to match, will help you get your preferred location

im considering derm recently which is why i ask/am most worried ab out my ECs

im considering derm recently which is why i ask/am most worried ab out my ECs
You have already been told that the only EC that matter'for residency applications is research, and this is especially true for Derm. Why should Derm residencies care about some bull**** ECs you do just to check some imaginary boxes?

Reactions: 1 user