getting letter of recommendation from ta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ufdoc11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
would it look bad? my physics class has 300 kids in it, but we have discussion for 2 days a week with a TA (20 kids per class). i have much more interaction with the ta, and i have also attended his office hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Could you see if the TA could work with the actual prof to write a letter and have the prof cosign it?

I think a letter has more clout when it comes from a faculty member who has had more experience teaching.

Last edited:
I second that. You want an actual professor involved in the letter. I had a professor that taught large classes like that and he would get input from the TA's before writing a letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's a TA who is a Ph.D. Candidate, would that hold slightly more clout?

If it's a TA who is a Ph.D. Candidate, would that hold slightly more clout?
I would certainly hold more clout than say a undergrad TA (I would most certainly say don't bother getting a letter if the TA is an undergrad) but I'd still try and get someone who is some kind of "Professor" to sign off on it as well. (just a TA no matter who they are is just not going to hold much sway)

good question.

DO NOT get a rec letter from a TA. NOOOOOO!!!

you will be digging your own grave... you need to be playing nice with ALL your professors. finding qualified faculty that know you well that think you would succeed in med school SHOULD NOT be so difficult that you resort to asking a TA...

(even if you think it's not a 'resort to a TA' situtuation, it will look as such... make no mistake, it is NOT a wise choice.)

good question.

DO NOT get a rec letter from a TA. NOOOOOO!!!

you will be digging your own grave... you need to be playing nice with ALL your professors. finding qualified faculty that know you well that think you would succeed in med school SHOULD NOT be so difficult that you resort to asking a TA...

(even if you think it's not a 'resort to a TA' situtuation, it will look as such... make no mistake, it is NOT a wise choice.)

Hmm is this speaking from experience?

I got a rec letter from my physics TA and it didn't seem to affect my getting into medical school. If you're concerned, do try to get all your letters from professors but if you feel like your TA knows you extremely well and can write you a better rec letter than actual profs, then it should be worth considering. I feel a superior letter illustrating your qualities and strengths can offset it being written by a TA. I do have to say he was a graduate student going for his PhD and did get the letter cosigned by faculty though.

Everyone I've talked to with actual knowledge on the subject (not pre-med students with their pre-conceived notions) says it's more important to pick someone that knows you rather than a professor.

I'm applying with two TA letters and two professor letters and my pre-med adviser had no qualm with it whatsoever.

This may not be directly relevant, but I applied as a transfer student to a top school with a transfer acceptance rate WAY less than the medical school acceptance rates with JUST TA letters and I got accepted.

I have kinda the same question. My neighbor went to UIC for nursing and is now working in the hospital and is the head nurse for the pediatrics ward, or something else. I know she if pretty high up...would a LOR from her be good?

most of the schools that i applied to had strict guidelines about who the letters could be from. and a couple specified that TA letters were not acceptable at all. try to go to every office hour for the teacher-its what i did and it worked really well.

I agree with whoever said that if the TA was the only one who could write the letter, ask the prof to co-sign.

Everyone I've talked to with actual knowledge on the subject (not pre-med students with their pre-conceived notions) says it's more important to pick someone that knows you rather than a professor.

Well, the actual response you are referring to is that it's better to get someone who actually knows you than someone with a big name. So the prof you worked with is better than the Nobel Laureate family friend you didn't. But there are limits to this. The person themselves needs to have some credential. In general, a degree candidate is not as good a reference as someone with an actual degree.

The way folks get around this, as suggested multiple times in this thread, is to have the TA write the letter and have the prof co-sign it. That way you get the credential of someone who "counts" plus the benefit of the text of the letter written by someone who can indicate they have worked/taught you and know your character/ability.

Yeah, I agree. I think when possible you should have it co-signed. My TA letters are co-signed by the professors. I think most professors are willing to do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked that question a few years back and and was told the TA had to be a grad/Phd student. In addition, the TA had to get their letter cosigned by the professors of the class.

I just wanted to add because I had a question regarding this: I asked a TA in a non-science class (need non-sci LOR), who is a PhD student for a letter with the prof signed off on it. I know the TA well and he told me he could write me a good letter, but I was wondering if schools that require letters to be from professors see this as simply a letter from the professor (as he would co-sign) or as something less/different. Thanks.

I had an ochem lab TA write me a letter and I made sure that he would have the professor co-sign the letter. Worked out fine :)

As well as evaluate you as a person, letters from profs also evaluate you as a student. I don't know if a TA would necessarily have the skills of an experienced evaluator.

PS, if you are a Freshman or a Sophomore I'd wait and collect letters later. Stale letters aren't as tasty as fresh ones.

My pre-med committee didn't even allow TA letters to count, but they were allowed as "supplemental" letters, just like letters from physicians.

I would make sure you have your core 5 letters from actual professors and leave the TA letters as "supplemental" help.

My pre-med committee didn't even allow TA letters to count, but they were allowed as "supplemental" letters, just like letters from physicians.

I would make sure you have your core 5 letters from actual professors and leave the TA letters as "supplemental" help.

Did they say anything about co-signed letters? Because that's my real question, if a co-signed letter would look bad/not count.

I guess I can't answer that because I never actually attempted to get a letter from a TA.

Since when did we need 5? :confused:

I think most want 3 and max is like 5 or 6.

Again, I guess it was something specific to my pre-med committee.

I needed 5, to get a sampling of both science and non-science. I also had to have a mix of professors in my major and ones not in my major.

It's probably to cover any school that may ask for 5, even those the vast majority only ask for 3.

Never hurts to have backup letters.

Again, I guess it was something specific to my pre-med committee.

I needed 5, to get a sampling of both science and non-science. I also had to have a mix of professors in my major and ones not in my major.

It's probably to cover any school that may ask for 5, even those the vast majority only ask for 3.

Never hurts to have backup letters.

Definitely.

I just wanted to add because I had a question regarding this: I asked a TA in a non-science class (need non-sci LOR), who is a PhD student for a letter with the prof signed off on it. I know the TA well and he told me he could write me a good letter, but I was wondering if schools that require letters to be from professors see this as simply a letter from the professor (as he would co-sign) or as something less/different. Thanks.

Hi did anyone respond to this question? This has been my burning question for a while. If you or anyone got this question answered, please let me know. I'm wondering if co-signed letters are counted as professor letters. Thanks in advance.

You can go for it but keep in mind that your app will be compared to those who actually are/were TAs.

When I was a TA for OChem I wrote some people letters for PT and Dental School in which both were accepted (So it wasn't a total bust for them). I also co-wrote a letter for a student (when I TAed Chem1 for majors) applying for med school who got in to a pretty good program, so it didn't hurt then either.

A prof is always better though! Go to their office hours, most profs love it because 5 out of the 300 kids do it regularly.

I just wanted to bump this thread. I'm in the same situation right now; I asked my TA to write a LOR for me and to also have the course coordinator co-sign it. Does the co-sign make the letter as legitimate and 'worthy' as a professor writing it? My school is heavily research focus and the students are often times much more connected to the TAs rather than professors.

Some more input/feedback would be appreciated.

The way to go really is to have an actual professor write the letter. They can (and probably should) get input from your TA's but the professor is who you want signing the letter.