Getting LORs from graduate school profs while an undergraduate...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FlyingTurtle

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As an undergraduate at a liberal arts school, I took several graduate-level science courses at a nearby graduate school. These counted as credit on my undergrad transcript.

Is it ok for the professors of these courses to write my LORs? Especially if they are for both my science LORs?

Only a little worried because it seems like I went to a certain university, but all my academic course LORs came from professors of another school. (I think it worked out this way because of the smaller class size at the graduate school, and thus the profs got to know me better.)
 
If they were instructors in science classes (whether grad or UG) and they are faculty of an institution (whether grad or UG) they would be science LORs.

An aside, while theses grad courses taken that are not counted towards a grad degree would count towards AMCAS UG science/BCPM GPA, they may not count by a particular school as fulfilling a specific prereqs. Are any of these courses ones that you are trying to use for a prereq?

!! I did not think about that...I am only interested in Texas schools (if that matters), and I am using some of these courses as upper level biology requirements. I did not think it would be a problem, because these courses are available to me in the following way...our undergraduate school has an arrangement with the neighboring graduate school (different institutions) where some of their classes are available to us as part of an available minor. These courses are cross-listed as "undergrad" courses (so not 500+ level) on my transcript.