Getting married after graduation before residency?

AmyJo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello - My fiance is a 2nd year med student who will graduate in Spring 2011. I work full time and am getting a Master's degree at night, and I will also graduate in Spring 2011. Although it's a long way off, it seems easiest to wait until we are both done with our degrees to get married. I'm hoping that he can get into residency on the west coast near my family, and that we could incorporate moving and me leaving my current job into the same time frame as the wedding.

What i'm wondering is, how long is there between Med School graduation and the beginning of most residency programs? A month? Less? Are we crazy to try to squeeze this all in?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There's about a month in between. My husband started his residency orientation the last week of June. It's do-able, especially in programs like his where 4th year is much lighter than 3rd year. He handled pretty much everything related to the move (we bought a house). We closed on our house in mid-May, and we made a few trips there on weekends to get things ready (it was within driving distance). My last day of my job was the week of his graduation, and we took the first week of June to pack. We did the actual move the first weekend of June.

It can definitely be done in that time frame, but for your sanity's sake, keep it simple! If you're moving, you won't have time for wedding stuff, so just plan a small gathering with only very close friends and family. You'll want everything done and scheduled by early May, so all you have to do is show up in June.

To be honest, though, I would recommend getting married sooner. I know how stressed I was even through August with all the stress that comes with packing, unpacking, moving, finding a job, leaving friends, etc. I can't imagine adding being a newlywed to all of that. Would it be possible to have the wedding over Christmas or Spring Break? That will be after his residency interviews, and he'll have senior-itis, so it would be a great time for a honeymoon! (Especially if he's racked up some frequent flier miles from interview travel...) ;)

LadyMoreta gave some good advice. :thumbup:

Keep in mind that some residencies start earlier and some medical schools end earlier. Some medical students also have "light" rotations they sign up for to end medical school on a chill note, say they may actually work about 20hrs a week!

My SO is starting residency in mid-June. Eek! :eek:

-X

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, this is good advice. I like the Spring Break idea, but I worry that a week isn't enough time. I will have to think about this...

it's doable, that's what I did. my wife and I did a destination wedding - cruised to Bermuda with 50 family/friends, got married on the beach at a beautiful resort (we had vacationed there prior), got back on the boat with the group, then honeymooned in Disney. I wouldn't have changed a thing!

J

I feel there is never a good time to get married only times that are more convenient. If you are at the point in your relationship where you should be married I would do it now. As a married guy I feel my outlook is more long term now than it was when I was single and it's easier to deal with tough times. Make sure you have a date night after marriage though, it's so easy to get caught up!