Getting Married during third year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studyinghard

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How feasible is it to get married during 3rd year?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it depends on what your idea of "getting married" involves. If you are planning a ceremony with 500 of your "closest" friends which you have yet to begin planning then I'd say it's not feasible at all. It also depends on how important honeymoon time/time at home with your spouse/setting up a house if that's the plan is.

My fiancee and I are planning a very small and quick ceremony at home during winter break and a honeymoon when we have the means and the time. We're both med students (who go to different med schools 500 miles apart) and both place a great emphasis on our careers. That and our first date was studying for a genetics exam in undergrad so are hardly good examples of people who care that much about pomp/ceremony and the "traditional" ways of doing things. :rolleyes:

Perhaps people could offer better advice if you elaborated a bit on your situation.

It would be very difficult. Fourth year (even fall months) would be much much easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
How feasible is it to get married during 3rd year?

It would be totally feasible to get married and go on a honeymoon during winter break. I did that during my 2nd year. As long as your wedding isn't turning into a huge, monstrous event (we still had >100 guests--I'd just avoid much more than that) and you have family members willing to do a good chunk of the planning, it's possible. Not necessarily super easy, but definitely possible as long as you're not super concerned about every little detail being absolutely perfect or fairy tale like..

It's actually pretty easy if you either get married where you go to medical school, or get married whereever it is your parents live and they do a lot of the planning. Or you could just hire someone to do all the planning for you.
Most schools have some sort of break in the fall, winter, and spring, and a week long honeymoon is plenty long enough.

If you are planning a 5,000 person "Platinum Wedding" with a month on the French Riveria for honeymoon, then you are going to have a difficult time doing this. If you don't mind scheduling your honeymoon over one of your week-long breaks and you have a good wedding planner, you can still do the "Platinum Wedding".

Seriously, get a good wedding planner; be ready to tell that person what you want and what your budget is (be realistic) and be ready to make decisions when asked, you should be able to do the wedding. A word of advice though, keep your parents out of this. I know that they may be providing the money but they can worry you to death and third year has its own worries. Good luck!

i got married and planned everything during 3rd year. sure, it was a little bit of a hassle, but come on, its very doable. i would recommend it, b/c during 4th year you'll have plenty of time for extracurricular activities with your husband/wife. :)