Aug 1, 2017
Hello!
I am currently in a Texas community college taking basic prerequisites.
I am looking to become a DO. What is the next best step to take?
If I go ahead and transfer to a 4-year university to get my bacc, will anything I've done at the community college count? I've only been here a year so I am not afraid to start over.

Thank you!

djtallahassee

2+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
You did step 1 right of living in Texas lol(although not so much for DO). It all counts. Read through some FAQs and get a grasp of it all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Coltuna

2+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Hello!
I am currently in a Texas community college taking basic prerequisites.
I am looking to become a DO. What is the next best step to take?
If I go ahead and transfer to a 4-year university to get my bacc, will anything I've done at the community college count? I've only been here a year so I am not afraid to start over.

Thank you!
Don't limit yourself to DO in TX. I think I heard the other day that they have at 8 in state MD schools or something crazy like that? lol

About the Ads
OP
M
Aug 1, 2017
Don't limit yourself to DO in TX. I think I heard the other day that they have at 8 in state MD schools or something crazy like that? lol
Oh for sure. I don't plan on staying in Texas, but that's where I am right now.

drlemons

2+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
Which medical school prerequisite courses, if any, have you completed at community college? You won't need to start over when you transfer to a 4 year. You'll just need to take more/upper division science courses at the 4 year to show you can handle the rigor. I'm a fellow Texas resident who also started at community college and transferred to a university. Unless you're particularly passionate about osteopathic medicine, I recommend considering Texas MD schools as well. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

OP
M
Aug 1, 2017
Which medical school prerequisite courses, if any, have you completed at community college? You won't need to start over when you transfer to a 4 year. You'll just need to take more/upper division science courses at the 4 year to show you can handle the rigor. I'm a fellow Texas resident who also started at community college and transferred to a university. Unless you're particularly passionate about osteopathic medicine, I recommend considering Texas MD schools as well. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you!
So far I have taken Anatomy and physiology 1 and 2, statistics, nutrition, and psychology.
I will look into the MD schools. I was thinking DO because I like their method of diagnosis and treatment better, but I will look at them both.

About the Ads