Getting started questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madibaeclg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am currently in a Texas community college taking basic prerequisites.
I am looking to become a DO. What is the next best step to take?
If I go ahead and transfer to a 4-year university to get my bacc, will anything I've done at the community college count? I've only been here a year so I am not afraid to start over.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You did step 1 right of living in Texas lol(although not so much for DO). It all counts. Read through some FAQs and get a grasp of it all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello!
I am currently in a Texas community college taking basic prerequisites.
I am looking to become a DO. What is the next best step to take?
If I go ahead and transfer to a 4-year university to get my bacc, will anything I've done at the community college count? I've only been here a year so I am not afraid to start over.

Thank you!
Don't limit yourself to DO in TX. I think I heard the other day that they have at 8 in state MD schools or something crazy like that? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't limit yourself to DO in TX. I think I heard the other day that they have at 8 in state MD schools or something crazy like that? lol
Oh for sure. I don't plan on staying in Texas, but that's where I am right now.

Which medical school prerequisite courses, if any, have you completed at community college? You won't need to start over when you transfer to a 4 year. You'll just need to take more/upper division science courses at the 4 year to show you can handle the rigor. I'm a fellow Texas resident who also started at community college and transferred to a university. Unless you're particularly passionate about osteopathic medicine, I recommend considering Texas MD schools as well. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Which medical school prerequisite courses, if any, have you completed at community college? You won't need to start over when you transfer to a 4 year. You'll just need to take more/upper division science courses at the 4 year to show you can handle the rigor. I'm a fellow Texas resident who also started at community college and transferred to a university. Unless you're particularly passionate about osteopathic medicine, I recommend considering Texas MD schools as well. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you!
So far I have taken Anatomy and physiology 1 and 2, statistics, nutrition, and psychology.
I will look into the MD schools. I was thinking DO because I like their method of diagnosis and treatment better, but I will look at them both.