Getting to Pittsburg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJ2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I have a huge dilemma. I was looking for both trains and flights to get me to Pitt for my interview on 3/26 from NYC. The train trip is 9-10 hours long and I would have to go on the 7 am one to get there at 4pm on 3/25. There is no train I can take on 3/26 so I have to take one on 3/27 at 10am and it arrives at 8pm in NYC. This means I would have to stay 2 nights there. I am looking into getting a student host. Do you think I would be able to stay with a host for 2 days? I have not done this before but I hope it can be done. This way I could explore some of the city. Okay, the other issue is that a direct flight would cost $775 dollars and ones with multiple stops are still rather expensive (over $400 and many go down to Atlanta and then go to Pittsburg from there). I found this through orbitz. Jetblue does not go to Pittsburg and I have not found cheaper flights. Anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi DrJ2B,

I feel your pain, except my problem is getting from Pitt to Buffalo (I'll have to rent a car and drive I guess). Another undesirable (but cheaper at $40) alternative may be to take Greyhound from Port Authority. The only issue is that the ride is anywhere between 8-10 hours. Is driving an option for you? I know that car rentals are expensive, but it'll be faster than you having to take the bus.

I faced the same problem when trying to find flights to pittsburgh from nyc.
What I did was contact the airlines directly rather than orbitz (believe it or not - this is often cheaper). ATA had the cheapest flights. You have to buy two separate trips as they don't sell direct flights from NYC to pittsburgh:
1.RT NY to Chicago
2.RT Chicago to Pittsburgh
The cheapest combo I got was 380 though I am sure if you searched around you (maybe mixed and matched airlines) you could compe up with something a little cheaper.
Keep in mind that including a Sat. night will make your flight cheaper.
ANother option is to get flight coupons on ebay. i have never actually done this but it is something that might be worh looking into . It seems like these might reduce the price by about 100$ or so. $770 is obviously way too expensive
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since I have either been near or in NYC, I never got a license. I know it sounds weird but I just never needed to get one. I wish I had a license so the interviewing process would be much simpler, but I have to either fly, bus, or take a train to wherever I am going. Thanks for the advice though! I wish you the best of luck getting to Buffalo! :)

That's not unusual at all. I mean, you don't need it with the great public transportation around. My dad made me learn, and I didn't get my first car until my senior year of college, so that now when I do go home, I couldn't imagine being without a vehicle! Well, that's what I thought before I went home and had to roll on the subway everywhere I went - it takes a while sometimes, but it gets you where you need to go.

Best of luck with everything. :)
H&T

Originally posted by DrJ2B
Hey all!
I have a huge dilemma. I was looking for both trains and flights to get me to Pitt for my interview on 3/26 from NYC. The train trip is 9-10 hours long and I would have to go on the 7 am one to get there at 4pm on 3/25. There is no train I can take on 3/26 so I have to take one on 3/27 at 10am and it arrives at 8pm in NYC.

The ride on the Greyhound bus is much less comfortable than the train. But you could take the train to Pittsburgh and take Greyhound back from Pittsburgh. It'll save you money, especially if you buy the Greyhound ticket online, one week ahead of time (at www.greyhound.com). I've done the Pittsburgh-NYC trip on Greyhound about 4 times in the last few months. It's no picnic, but it's cheap. They do let you get off the bus once every 4 hours for a break and to use a real bathroom. My secret: bring a 48-oz bottle of juice (grape or cranberry), a big bag of tortilla chips, a little travel pillow, and an audiobook (check it out from your local library). Also a little bottle of that alcohol-based hand sanitizer, because sometimes they don't have anything to clean your hands with in the little bathroom on the bus (shudder). :rolleyes:

Oh yeah: NYC->Pittsburgh ROUND TRIP on Greyhound: $88.20. :)

Cancel plan for Pittsburgh, your fate lies in Philadelphia (And I'm not talking about Jefferson, Drexel, nor Temple)

Oh and my sister goes to school at Pittsburgh (Carnegie Mellon)...;)

Hey CalBeE!

Thanks for the kind words and support. I will be finding out in 2-3 days if that will indeed be true. I will definitely cancel my Pitt interview if I get into UPenn. Well, rest assured, you will be in NYC or Chicago for medical school (whichever you finally choose to go to). I wish you the best of luck getting off those waitlists. If you have a definite favorite (Columbia?), then send that LOI and call the dean and tell him why you want to go there. Keep me posted! :D

PITTSBURG"H"

Originally posted by exmike
rent a car and DRIVE

Yep, that's what I did. From Boston.

Orbitz and expedia just searches for the lowest existing airline prices. Try a search engine that has special negotiated/wholesale price like 1travel. Priceline also has good negotiated prices but you need to know what a good discount price between NYC and Pitt is or you'll be overcharged or not get a ticket. Priceline also has discount hotel prices, Wyndham for $75, maybe even $50?.

On another note, I notice 26th is a Fri, if you leave Sunday morning, you would be amazed by how much your ticket prices will fall just for staying a saturday.

It might even be worthwhile to use a travel agent as they have access to these special deals that makes their service more than worth it. .

Originally posted by CalBeE

Oh and my sister goes to school at Pittsburgh (Carnegie Mellon)...;)

I wonder if CalBeE is offering something to you ;)

Originally posted by pekq
I wonder if CalBeE is offering something to you ;)

Evil thoughts originate from evil minds :smuggrin: