Getting US Residency after Indian Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vinu_neuro

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing that if i go to India for medical school and come back, the chances of me getting a good residency (cardioology, neuro, ortho,etc) will be quite slim. What is your opinion on this, esp those of you who graduated from India and came here for residency.

Members don't see this ad.

vinu_neuro said:

Being an FMG, it will be more difficult than graduating in the US. Obviously, some specialties are easier than others (i.e., neurology, most of the primary care specialties [IM, psych, FM]). After you do well in India and garnish good letters (like everyone else), you'll have to prove that you are an objectively favorable candidate--that means USMLE. It is the only standardized format available to compare disparate medical educations. if you do well, you will open the door to more competitive programs. Some places will simply not take FMGs for whatever reason. It has partly to do with government reimbursement. IM me if you want to know more. BTW, I have firsthand knowledge of both tracks (I am a US Grad and my wife graduated in India).

Members don't see this ad :)
freeMDnow said:
Being an FMG, it will be more difficult than graduating in the US. Obviously, some specialties are easier than others (i.e., neurology, most of the primary care specialties [IM, psych, FM]). After you do well in India and garnish good letters (like everyone else), you'll have to prove that you are an objectively favorable candidate--that means USMLE. It is the only standardized format available to compare disparate medical educations. if you do well, you will open the door to more competitive programs. Some places will simply not take FMGs for whatever reason. It has partly to do with government reimbursement. IM me if you want to know more. BTW, I have firsthand knowledge of both tracks (I am a US Grad and my wife graduated in India).

Thanks for the info, i sent a message to your account on SDN.

freeMDnow said:

totally agree w/above...
as a 4th year US med student ready to start residency in July, i'm quite familiar with the interview process and how they really decide who gets in...
as an FMG it IS tough...the usmle, the stereotype. It also depends what sort of FMG you are...i.e. are you a US grad who went elsewhere (i.e. India,...or, more commonly esp for people who didn't get into a US med school, caribbean etc type places), or a true FMG, who went to med school OUTSIDE of the US -- which, in my opinion, makes things even more challenging. It also depends which residency you're shooting for...certain ones like derm are already super competitive...and unless you're an FMG who's made some sort of nationally recognized contribution to the field, you're chances are slim. Majority of FMG's enter psych, int med, peds, family med, and also surgery. Don't get me wrong, there are a few in other fields, but i'm just saying there's more in these fields (possibly also b/c there are the largest # of slots avail in them as well). Hope that helps.