1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting work experience for grad school

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by LookingForeward, Aug 18, 2011.

1. LookingForeward

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Hey all, I wanted to ask your opinion about something. I am in my third year in college and thinking about, as of now, going to grad school for either MFT or Ed.S in school psychology. Right now I am thinking about applying for a job as a youth guidance counselor with the Boys & Girls Club of America. The position has a meager description of "Being a Youth Guidance Worker is an excellent opportunity for students who are considering a career in education or social service. Youth guidance workers plan and lead a variety of activities with youth ages 5 to 18 in Boys & Girls Club programming." It also lists "gain valuable youth development experience" as a perk of the job.

If I were apply for and get the job, would this serve as acceptable experience that MFT and school psych grad schools are looking for? Does anyone have any idea's of where I can get valuable work experience for grad school? I am sick of selling pull-tabs and not getting valuable experience for the fields I am considering going to grad school for. Also, I am going to contact professors about research experience when the school year starts, I hope to be getting research experience too, in case anyone was concerned about that! Any help is appreciated with my questions, though. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.