Getting work experience for grad school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LookingForeward

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I wanted to ask your opinion about something. I am in my third year in college and thinking about, as of now, going to grad school for either MFT or Ed.S in school psychology. Right now I am thinking about applying for a job as a youth guidance counselor with the Boys & Girls Club of America. The position has a meager description of "Being a Youth Guidance Worker is an excellent opportunity for students who are considering a career in education or social service. Youth guidance workers plan and lead a variety of activities with youth ages 5 to 18 in Boys & Girls Club programming." It also lists "gain valuable youth development experience" as a perk of the job.

If I were apply for and get the job, would this serve as acceptable experience that MFT and school psych grad schools are looking for? Does anyone have any idea's of where I can get valuable work experience for grad school? I am sick of selling pull-tabs and not getting valuable experience for the fields I am considering going to grad school for. Also, I am going to contact professors about research experience when the school year starts, I hope to be getting research experience too, in case anyone was concerned about that! Any help is appreciated with my questions, though. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.