Gettting a job as a Pharm tech.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesiThumbi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering where/how to start in order to land a job at a pharmacy as tech or just a cashier. I know I can use the classic method and start calling away, just curious how everyone else got started.

Members don't see this ad.

Just swing by the pharmacy when they aren't busy and talk to the pharmacist there. Chances are there will be at least one or two openings somewhere you go. Try to go in person and avoid calling places.

I got my job almost by pure luck and good timing it seems. The store I was hired onto is not open yet and will not be open until first week of May. Applications were being taken online, so my competition was likely smaller. 4 spots were being hired for and 8 people interviewed for them. I just happened to be the only pre-pharm student and also found myself quite at ease with the manager so he found me to be a good match for the job. Previous to this though I had applied to both a CVS and Walgreens with no luck.

My only advice would be the obvious thing to apply everywhere you can, keep your options open (apply for pharm clerk if needed), go in person to speak with the pharmacy manager, and my goodness try to be at least a little outgoing even if you aren't normally. :) You want to portray a friendly, confident and strong personality because working with people all day you need those characteristics. I tried to do that during my interview, put my best face forward and tried to act as though I were already hired and on the job. Well I don't think I explained that well... what I mean is think of what kind of appearance would you want to show while on your job once hired? Show that to your pharm manager and they'll probably like that. Hope that makes sense.

Oh and my biggest tip, which isn't possible for everyone, keep an eye (and ear) open for new stores being built in your area. Whether it's a grocery store or drug store doesn't matter. If somewhere that will have a pharmacy is being built, inquire about jobs. It's likely they have some being hired for. That's how I got mine!

Good luck! :D

I got my pharm tech job by going to numerous stores in person, asking if there were openings available. Make sure you bring a resume or something of the sort to show them your education/work experience from the past. I got a call from two stores after about a week. I think you should most importantly be enthusiastic about finding a job and always smile! A positive attitude will go a long way in community pharmacy.