Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

GI Bill Panic

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by pharm B, Jan 6, 2009.

1. pharm B

pharm B Phar Noir
    Staff Member Administrator Rocket Scientist Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    So I just called my bank to verify my GI Bill payment would be deposited into my account tonight. They indicated that the amount was one-third what I expected it to be. (Which fits the semester ending December 10th).

Does anyone know how break or interval payments work? The VA website only specifies that I should be paid for the interval or break.

I asked the VA Rep at my school (before the end of the semester), and she said that I should receive my FULL benefit amount because:

• I was enrolled Full-Time in the Fall
    • I'm enrolled Full-Time in the Spring

Have any of you former military types had this problem before?

2. mfrizzo3

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You only get paid while you are attending classes. Even though you are enrolled full time you are not physically present for classes after Dec 10. So you will not get any money for after Dec 10. Also, you will only get paid a per diem for Jan.

3. pharm B

pharm B Phar Noir
    Staff Member Administrator Rocket Scientist Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Then I don't understand what "interval or break pay" means. Why does it have a special category if it's just what I'm supposed to be getting paid in the first place?

I'll post more later after contacting the VA.

Update:

If you go to school full-time in the Fall and Spring, then you do qualify to be paid your full monthly amount over the break. I haven't been paid yet because my school's VA Rep didn't send them a Form 22-1999 showing I'd enrolled for the Spring.

#3 pharm B, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  4. scottyT

scottyT Real Member
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    chill, you'll get your money.

ok, you are absolutely supposed to get break pay for the break. That is the point of break pay. Your school probably hasn't certified you for the Spring yet and that's why your cashflow stopped.

edit: just saw your post above mine. glad you got it figured out.

ps, it was a pleasure meeting you at Davis. Good Luck!

5. pharm B

pharm B Phar Noir

Pharmacist
    Is this referring to me? If it is, you might have me confused with someone else. :cool:

I updated just in case there are other GI Bill Recipients on these boards now or in the future.

6. scottyT

scottyT Real Member
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    oh, right ... you Navy nukes all look alike. sorry about that.