GI boards 2018 - Study notes, resources, and overall discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adagio

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the merry season of board preparation approaches, let's share our study notes and what we are doing to prepare for the boards.
I am currently doing the DDSEP 8 questions and reading brennan spiegel's books.

How are you preparing for the boards?

Members don't see this ad.

That should be enough. The Acing books are pretty readable although not that much was directly on the boards. Pay and do the ACG tests as well when you get closer. Easy CME as well. Read guidelines for things you are weak at, particularly some the AASLD ones. Lots of liver.

The test itself is fairly brutal with tons of nonsense, bad questions, questionable answer choices. This is to be expected on a board test. That said, the pass rate is like 93-98%, and when you get the nomogram afterwards, you have to be pretty awful to fail.

I never bothered with a formal review course or watching the course videos and still crushed the test, even though it felt like I was being probed as I took it. The reason these courses all "guarantee" that you will pass is because the pass rate is so high, and if you do something, take it seriously, you will probably pass.

These things are mostly a money making scam, but probably does weed out people that are awful given how forgiving it is to pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the comprehensive overview IM2GI.
Is it worth reading GI/Liver secrets (for anyone who read that book) or is it a waste of time?
There are just too many guidelines to be able to capture them and I wonder if anyone ran across an updated resource that gives a good overview for our guidelines; sounds ******ed, I know, but I am trying to take this test seriously.

I will be sharing some questions and some of my own study remarks (and doubts) on this page as I progress.