Gift ideas!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrashPanda

Class of 2021! (accepted)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need a gift for that special someone/friend/family member/pet in your life?

Post here for ideas and suggestions!

Cute-Christmas-Animals-23.jpg

Happy holidays, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Good friends 2.5mo baby. I'm clueless about small humans and don't know what to get one. Don't want to spend more than $10 if its something that's going to be only worn/used once.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good friends 2.5mo baby. I'm clueless about small humans and don't know what to get one. Don't want to spend more than $10 if its something that's going to be only worn/used once.
Need to be for baby? Sometimes nice to buy for mom/dad since the kid is often showered in things shortly after birth.

Reactions: 1 users
Need to be for baby? Sometimes nice to buy for mom/dad since the kid is often showered in things shortly after birth.
I got her a present already, just wanted a little something for the baby. A group of us is doing a Xmas get-together, and I know at least two other friends who have gotten the baby a separate gift. I don't want to be the cheapstake baby hater.

Children's books are always good. Even if the baby is too young to read, your friend can read the book to her baby all the way up until the child starts reading on her own :)
Or you could make her a tie-together fleece blanket that they can get a lot of use out of

Reactions: 7 users
Winter clothes for an older child, if you like clothing. Mine had an outfit every day for the first year, between gifts and hand-me-downs. No one gives you an excessive amount of clothing for a 2yo.

If unsentimental, diapers. (From personal experience, diapers of the wrong size / brand can always be exchanged.)

Sophie giraffes (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003LYG00G/ is a ~$10 option) were all the thing at one point.

Reactions: 1 user

Same boat. I was thinking stuffed animal

I got her a present already, just wanted a little something for the baby. A group of us is doing a Xmas get-together, and I know at least two other friends who have gotten the baby a separate gift. I don't want to be the cheapstake baby hater.
Useless then. I'm pretty good at baby hating. :p

Reactions: 5 users
On the opposite spectrum, how about my dad: 40yo, just out of the marines, likes working out, hockey/mma, video games (buys himself every game he wants), booze (anyone know scotch way better than me?) and watching crappy tv.

I've defaulted to underarmour gear for at least the last two years. Help.

In all seriousness, I like the book idea.

Reactions: 4 users
On the opposite spectrum, how about my dad: 40yo, just out of the marines, likes working out, hockey/mma, video games (buys himself every game he wants), booze (anyone know scotch way better than me?) and watching crappy tv.

Scotch of the month club? Pricey (like $100/mo by the time you figure shipping), but you can do as little as a single month, and it'll likely be something he can't get locally.

What's his favorite hockey team and what's his opinion on beer steins? My stepdad has similar interests and I got him steins with his favorite team's logo on them and he loved 'em.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking for a Christmas idea for my brother- 23 year old, loves alcohol (beer, tequila, whisky- last year I got him a set of Stella glasses and he really liked that) and sports (Dallas sports and UT)

Sounds like a cool guy. Maybe a headset for his console/computer, whichever he uses for gaming. Gym bag with favorite hockey team logo. Hockey team shot glasses. Netflix account.

This is an odd thing, but probably the best gift I ever got when we had our first. Its the best at clearing boogers.
Amazon product

I'm looking for a Christmas idea for my brother- 23 year old, loves alcohol (beer, tequila, whisky- last year I got him a set of Stella glasses and he really liked that) and sports (Dallas sports and UT)

Sports team shot glasses again. Or caps/tshirts from the teams. Maybe a team flag

What's his favorite hockey team and what's his opinion on beer steins? My stepdad has similar interests and I got him steins with his favorite team's logo on them and he loved 'em.
He brought me back a stein from his deployment in Germany so I think I may have been slightly one up'd there. And I have no idea on favourite... he just kind of watches stuff socially. With that said, I was about to respond Roughriders when my quick google told me that was a football team if that tells you anything about my level of knowledge here. Ha.
Scotch of the month club? Pricey (like $100/mo by the time you figure shipping), but you can do as little as a single month, and it'll likely be something he can't get locally.
If I'm going to spend that much it'd bug me to not be able to pick out, and he doesn't drink a ton so more than a bottle or two would probably be overkill. Of the month things are cool though!
Sounds like a cool guy. Maybe a headset for his console/computer, whichever he uses for gaming. Gym bag with favorite hockey team logo. Hockey team shot glasses. Netflix account.
He's cool just a pain in the ass to buy for because he buys the things he wants and is very picky/particular. I go through this yearly.

He brought me back a stein from his deployment in Germany so I think I may have been slightly one up'd there. And I have no idea on favourite... he just kind of watches stuff socially. With that said, I was about to respond Roughriders when my quick google told me that was a football team if that tells you anything about my level of knowledge here. Ha.

If I'm going to spend that much it'd bug me to not be able to pick out, and he doesn't drink a ton so more than a bottle or two would probably be overkill. Of the month things are cool though!

He's cool just a pain in the ass to buy for because he buys the things he wants and is very picky/particular. I go through this yearly.
Based on my knowledge of hockey, the Blackhawks are either his most dearly beloved or his most vehemently loathed team on the planet. I'm actually not sure if there are other hockey teams, because all I know about hockey can be mapped in terms of Blackhawks love or hate lol.

The best Christmas gift he has right now is the Cowboys' current record this season.

Maybe try a sports team sweatshirt or hoodie. You could get him a nice one with an embroidered logo so that it won't wear out as much as the iron-on plastic ones do. As for the alcohol, a homemade treat with an alcoholic twist to it would be great. My family makes bourbon balls for presents and they're always a hit!

My dad really enjoys his Roku Streaming Stick for his tv. He can watch things on Netflix or Amazon with it (among other things, but this is what he mainly uses it for). Amazon sells their Amazon Fire stick too, but I don't know how it is compared to the Roku stick and which one is better.

Maybe try a sports team sweatshirt or hoodie. You could get him a nice one with an embroidered logo so that it won't wear out as much as the iron-on plastic ones do. As for the alcohol, a homemade treat with an alcoholic twist to it would be great. My family makes bourbon balls for presents and they're always a hit!
Rum balls are also great! :hungry:

Also, I know it's cliched but I also love baseball caps with sports team logos on them.

@cdoconn , What kind of beer does your brother like?

Rum balls are also great! :hungry:

Also, I know it's cliched but I also love baseball caps with sports team logos on them.

@cdoconn , What kind of beer does your brother like?
Oh I should mention, he has hats and hoodies and all, and he's pickier than a model when it comes to clothes.

He likes Stella and Miller Lite, and he's a huge adventurer when it comes to beer.

Oh I should mention, he has hats and hoodies and all, and he's pickier than a model when it comes to clothes.

He likes Stella and Miller Lite, and he's a huge adventurer when it comes to beer.

I can definitely respect the picky clothes part! Maybe pajamas? My boyfriend, brother, and dad all like the plaid kind, and they have sports team related ones. But if the clothes route still isn't your thing, you can always buy a bottle of new alcohol for him to try or go with the alcoholic treat idea :thumbup:

If anyone's going to a white elephant party and is struggling to figure out what to bring that most people would be happy with (read: me), bring one of those mason jar cookie mixes, with all the pretty layers of dry ingredients. I figure mostly everyone loves cookies so I'm now bringing these to gift exchanges for the rest of my life because they're simple and cheap but still require enough effort to be thoughtful.

Or, you know, give one to everyone you know. Make it a sugar cookie mix for someone who doesn't like chocolate, peanut butter for a reese's fan, ginger snap for a redhead, or even do gluten free/vegan options for those with dietary restrictions. This is my go-to whenever I'm at a loss for what to get someone. :D

My brother has a 6yo boy and a 11yo daughter. I asked them what they wanted and neither of them answered. All I know is they both like "five nights at Freddy's" and usually legos. The boy was just diagnosed in the autism spectrum, I suspect Asperger's, but he doesn't have a "thing" he's obsessed with like some do. His daughter likes animals and may want to be a vet. I always get kids a book and a fun gift. I'm probably good with getting them both books, it's the fun gift that I'm at a loss for.

If anyone's going to a white elephant party and is struggling to figure out what to bring that most people would be happy with (read: me), bring one of those mason jar cookie mixes, with all the pretty layers of dry ingredients. I figure mostly everyone loves cookies so I'm now bringing these to gift exchanges for the rest of my life because they're simple and cheap but still require enough effort to be thoughtful... This is my go-to whenever I'm at a loss for what to get someone. :D

That's a great idea, got one of these for a previous job and loved it! Everyone in my clinic now loves coffee, and I didn't want to get JUST a gift card, so I'm getting a nice mug to go with a coffee shop gift card... animal themed mug of course ☺️ Might be a cool idea for a white elephant party as well if anyone is at a loss for what to get.

My brother has a 6yo boy and a 11yo daughter. I asked them what they wanted and neither of them answered. All I know is they both like "five nights at Freddy's" and usually legos. The boy was just diagnosed in the autism spectrum, I suspect Asperger's, but he doesn't have a "thing" he's obsessed with like some do. His daughter likes animals and may want to be a vet. I always get kids a book and a fun gift. I'm probably good with getting them both books, it's the fun gift that I'm at a loss for.

If you want to get something Five Nights At Freddy's themed, Hot Topic and FYE have figurines, plushies, collectibles, and more. I thought FNAF would be too scary for a 6yr old since it's about animatronics killing children but okay lol!
As for the fun gift, get something cool that they can use for a long time. Go with a cute sweater or nice boots for the girl, maybe something electronic like a drone for the boy (doesn't have to be a huge $2000 one since he's 6)

If you want to get something Five Nights At Freddy's themed, Hot Topic and FYE have figurines, plushies, collectibles, and more. I thought FNAF would be too scary for a 6yr old since it's about animatronics killing children but okay lol!
As for the fun gift, get something cool that they can use for a long time. Go with a cute sweater or nice boots for the girl, maybe something electronic like a drone for the boy (doesn't have to be a huge $2000 one since he's 6)
I actually got my Dad (another hard to buy for person) a small beginners drone for Christmas. I had no idea what FNAF was about! He's been carrying around the same 2 figures for 2 months now. I know my brother and my sister already got them both a bunch of that stuff, so I'm not sure what will be left in my price range. I try not to spend more than $30 on each kid.

I actually got my Dad (another hard to buy for person) a small beginners drone for Christmas. I had no idea what FNAF was about! He's been carrying around the same 2 figures for 2 months now. I know my brother and my sister already got them both a bunch of that stuff, so I'm not sure what will be left in my price range. I try not to spend more than $30 on each kid.

Any movies they like that they don't have?

My mom is impossible to shop for, and I could really use some help!

She loves to cook, but already has every cookbook and cooking gadget in existence.
She reads a ton, but hardly ever reads the same book twice. She mostly reads books from the library, but she also has a Nook.
She likes to travel and is learning French (she's been taking classes for several years now).
She's not big on clothes, jewelry, or knickknacks.

She loves to cook, but already has every cookbook and cooking gadget in existence.
She reads a ton, but hardly ever reads the same book twice. She mostly reads books from the library, but she also has a Nook.
She likes to travel and is learning French (she's been taking classes for several years now).
Books about France? Assuming she has French cookbooks? Cooking classes perhaps?

Does she have these bowls? If not, they are pretty awesome and I don't know anyone that doesn't love them.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...hRtYFBsNYkdD69oAQvkvmb3lrLSwHbPuqUaAj5y8P8HAQ

Or you could get her a travel guide to somewhere she wants to go? I like the Lonely planet guides in general.

My brother loved nerf guns when he was younger (probably about 5 until like 15 when he got an airsoft gun, but still would occasionally play with the nerf). If you do go with nerf, might want to think about getting 2 guns so he and someone else (probably dad) can shoot at each other. When I was ~11 I really liked Littlest Pet Shop stuff.

Last edited:
Books about France? Assuming she has French cookbooks? Cooking classes perhaps?

Ooh I like the cooking class idea. I'll have to see what's near her.

Okay, on to another one. I'm spending Christmas with my boyfriend's family and I'm not exchanging presents with anyone, but I do want to bring a thoughtful housewarming gift. Normally I'd bake something, but my boyfriend's stepdad is on a really restrictive diet- vegan, basically fat-free, and limited sugar. I might bake some vegan bread and then a dessert for everyone else, but I'd love other ideas! It has to survive a 10 hour car ride and doesn't have to be food (though that might be the easiest).

Okay, on to another one. I'm spending Christmas with my boyfriend's family and I'm not exchanging presents with anyone, but I do want to bring a thoughtful housewarming gift. Normally I'd bake something, but my boyfriend's stepdad is on a really restrictive diet- vegan, basically fat-free, and limited sugar. I might bake some vegan bread and then a dessert for everyone else, but I'd love other ideas! It has to survive a 10 hour car ride and doesn't have to be food (though that might be the easiest).

I always like bringing a nice potted plant that's easy to care for. Or flowers. Or wine/beer/whatever the host drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Maybe some oat or Timothy hay

Reactions: 13 users
I always like bringing a nice potted plant that's easy to care for. Or flowers. Or wine/beer/whatever the host drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Oh, I don't know why I didn't think of poinsettias! Probably because I have a cat that would eat them, but they don't. That or another plant would be perfect, thanks!

Maybe some oat or Timothy hay

Haha I used to be vegan and I had a pet rabbit. Every time I got something from the fridge, my roommate thought it was very funny to ask if the food was for me or the bunny. Often, it was for both.

Reactions: 2 users
Haha I used to be vegan and I had a pet rabbit. Every time I got something from the fridge, my roommate thought it was very funny to ask if the food was for me or the bunny. Often, it was for both.
Out of curiosity what made you give it up

Out of curiosity what made you give it up

No specific reason, really. I moved to a rural area and being vegan became harder and harder, especially since I had a very demanding job with little time to cook for myself. It would be easy to be vegan where I live now, but I just never got back into it though I've intended to before. When I lived alone I was pretty close to vegan, but now I live with my boyfriend who eats meat. I do the vast majority of the cooking, and it's all vegetarian (and often vegan) which is a good compromise for us. Maybe after the holidays I'll start eating vegan one day a week or something. I think my main issue right now (besides that cheese is yummy) is that being vegan requires more effort and planning than I've been willing to put into food lately, especially since I try to eat high protein.

Does she have one of these? Because she needs one they're awesome and adorable.

Go with a cute sweater or nice boots for the girl, maybe something electronic like a drone for the boy (doesn't have to be a huge $2000 one since he's 6)
And just like that I have a flashback to the Christmas where all the boy cousins got these awesome tiny electric cars and all the girl cousins got Barbie dolls and I was sooo jealous of their cars I cried.

And just like that I have a flashback to the Christmas where all the boy cousins got these awesome tiny electric cars and all the girl cousins got Barbie dolls and I was sooo jealous of their cars I cried.
I hear you. Most of my friends when I was really little, were boys, and I was totally jealous of their Star Wars and He-Man toys. My niece & nephew have similar interests, so I try to get them similar gifts. Ok, likely he just likes what she likes, and he'd cry if he liked her toy better, so it's easier to just get them something similar. I got them both some FNAF construction sets, which are lego like. Hopefully they like them.

One year my mom put Barbies in my family's white elephant with the intention that my sister and I get them as gifts. She got mad when I wanted the Kung Fu Panda plush instead.