Gift ideas!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do it. If she steal yours, she needs one!
Yeah she doesn't have one lol. Maybe not such a bad gift considering I'm usually not home for her to steal it lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm five seconds from buying her a cat carrier because she always steals mine...my brain can't handle anything else lol
get a nice soft sided one that completely unzips.

part of my mother's xmas present is a dna test for our family dog (thanks whoever posted that earlier) and socks and other useful things, so maybe don't trust me...

Reactions: 1 users

part of my mother's xmas present is a dna test for our family dog (thanks whoever posted that earlier) and socks and other useful things, so maybe don't trust me...

Yeah I was thinking one of those fancier soft carriers. I have a nice one that I love but maybe something that even looks prettier (if you knew my mom, you'd understand lol). I'll see what I can find...I was sitting on a bench in the mall feeling very defeated. Thanks for the encouragement guys:D

Me! I'm glad someone found it useful. Seemed like a pretty good deal.

I second the completely unzipping cat carrier statement. If you do go hard sided get one with the door on the front and on the top too. It is much easier to get a cat out for exams if there is a door on top or if it completely unzips.

I am not good at shopping for family without direction. We got my mom a fitbit as a group and I got her on a new phone charger. When I go home and take my ipad charger with me she steals it to use for her phone since it's faster than the regular phone one so she got her own. My dad got a Yeti thermos from everyone and I got him a dozen pairs of new socks, because he loves the feeling of new socks and we get him some every year. Sister got a tshirt that says 'heifer, please.' My dog got a giraffe toy with an annoying squeaker. I won't be able to go home for Christmas this year and my family went overboard on gifts to me to compensate. I think I had a dozen boxes arrive over the last week or so. I feel like a gifting slacker but I'm also cash strapped. Luckily they'll love me anyway.

Reactions: 4 users
Sounds like the damage is already done honestly

Lol. She only likes my mom. I'm a HUGE cat person but she hates me...which is probably because whenever I'm home, my cat comes with me and my feline is a force to be reconned with. Holy crap. They have to stay separated because my cat is so mean to her. I feel so bad about the whole situation...

I think the DNA test is a SUPER idea!

I second the completely unzipping cat carrier statement. If you do go hard sided get one with the door on the front and on the top too. It is much easier to get a cat out for exams if there is a door on top or if it completely unzips.

I am not good at shopping for family without direction. We got my mom a fitbit as a group and I got her on a new phone charger. When I go home and take my ipad charger with me she steals it to use for her phone since it's faster than the regular phone one so she got her own. My dad got a Yeti thermos from everyone and I got him a dozen pairs of new socks, because he loves the feeling of new socks and we get him some every year. Sister got a tshirt that says 'heifer, please.' My dog got a giraffe toy with an annoying squeaker. I won't be able to go home for Christmas this year and my family went overboard on gifts to me to compensate. I think I had a dozen boxes arrive over the last week or so. I feel like a gifting slacker but I'm also cash strapped. Luckily they'll love me anyway.

Anyone want to proffer some guesses? I think he's gonna come back super heinz 57, but the shelter had him as a schnauzer mix for some reason, so I'm really curious if they knew his family or... what drugs they were on. ~70lbs.

zXjRIMu.jpg

If you get a hard carrier for the love of god make sure it's one that the top can be easily removed. I like soft ones because I can sedate cats through the side if needed, but hard ones work too as long as they're not one that I have to unscrew like 30 screws to open. x_x;

Last edited:
Anyone want to proffer some guesses? I think he's gonna come back super heinz 57, but the shelter had him as a schnauzer mix for some reason, so I'm really curious if they knew his family or... what drugs they were one.

zXjRIMu.jpg

If you get a hard carrier for the love of god make sure it's one that the top can be easily removed. I like soft ones because I can sedate cats through the side if needed, but hard ones work too as long as they're not one that I have to unscrew like 30 scres to open. x_x;

I hate hard carriers. Getting cats out of a hard carrier sucks. Though your right the ones with the top that lifts up isn't so bad but almost no one actually owns one of those...

Anyone want to proffer some guesses? I think he's gonna come back super heinz 57, but the shelter had him as a schnauzer mix for some reason, so I'm really curious if they knew his family or... what drugs they were on. ~70lbs.

zXjRIMu.jpg

If you get a hard carrier for the love of god make sure it's one that the top can be easily removed. I like soft ones because I can sedate cats through the side if needed, but hard ones work too as long as they're not one that I have to unscrew like 30 screws to open. x_x;

The DNA tests are fun. My boss has a dog that was a "greyhound" (he does not look like a greyhound). Test came back vizsula, pitty, and bassett lol. Never know what you're gonna get!

I submitted the DNA test for my dog already! I've been saying he's a cavalier/papillon for years, so I want to know if I'm right. I'm pretty sure he won't come back all cavalier like he's supposed to.

zXjRIMu.jpg

Looks like a pitty to me! Maybe some boxer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted the DNA test for my dog already! I've been saying he's a cavalier/papillon for years, so I want to know if I'm right. I'm pretty sure he won't come back all cavalier like he's supposed to.

Looks like a pitty to me! Maybe some boxer.
He's got a big ole pit head but I could believe boxer from his body. I have him in as a boxer mix at work, super curious to see what he comes back as!

Update: Found a cute/soft/veterinarian-approved cat carrier. Yay!

zXjRIMu.jpg

That's a pittie/grey hound. Maybe like 5% lab or pointer

I want to do that test for my dog. She's supposed to be half border collie . . .

*Poof*

I bought her a huge dog bed but yeah, the cat bed is better.

Last edited:

zXjRIMu.jpg

That's definitely a dog.

Reactions: 9 users
Can someone please make this decision for me:

I am working the tour guide job tonight, and I planned on bringing a mini bottle of Baileys for each of my coworkers. Should I just do the ones that are working tonight, or should I do one for every member of staff?

Each 50mL bottle is ~4 dollars. 9 people are working tonight, there would be 15-20 people in the entire staff (have to go count).

Can someone please make this decision for me:

I am working the tour guide job tonight, and I planned on bringing a mini bottle of Baileys for each of my coworkers. Should I just do the ones that are working tonight, or should I do one for every member of staff?

Each 50mL bottle is ~4 dollars. 9 people are working tonight, there would be 15-20 people in the entire staff (have to go count).
Can you afford to do the whole staff? If yes, I'd give one to everyone.

I don't mind unscrewing 30 screws as long as the client hasn't removed the screws and zip tied the darn thing shut! I just want to be able to take the top off so I can examine/remove/drug the cat in the bottom half of it.

23 year old dairy farmer bf currently living with his parents..makes decent money so he typically buys what he wants. Suggestions?

What does he like besides cows
He likes the MN Twins, MN Vikings, beer...of course but he's picky, four-wheeling when he can get away from the farm

Last edited:
He likes the MN Twins, MN Vikings, beer...of course but he's picky, four-wheeling when he can get away from the farm
What about a Minnesota Vikings 15oz. Stone Stein??

....casually steals @vetmedhead's gift idea and passes it off as my own

Alternatively, you could do a "Brew it yourself" kit and choose the type of beer that is most similar to the kind he prefers
Small Batch Homebrew Beer Making Starter Kit - Northern Brewer

If you can afford it, maybe game tickets? A favorite player’s jersey? I️ know he can afford it himself, but it’s a nice gesture!

Gifts no one turns down, ever*: homemade cookies, homemade fudge, homemade pies, homemade toffee, or chocolates of any variety.

*unless dietary restrictions force them too

I've also made soup mixes and such in jars before for my sister. I assume she enjoyed them?
I love homemade cookies/soup but am usually too lazy to make them often, so anything that takes time out of the equation but gives me yummy goodness is the greatest gift of all. :love: If she didn't like them, send them to meeeee

Gift ideas for a board game geek? First Christmas with the new SO and I feel like he owns everything board-game related all ready. Being our first Christmas together I'd like to avoid gift cards but right now I'm stuck on "get him a game and keep the receipt in case he owns it already".

Gift ideas for a board game geek? First Christmas with the new SO and I feel like he owns everything board-game related all ready. Being our first Christmas together I'd like to avoid gift cards but right now I'm stuck on "get him a game and keep the receipt in case he owns it already".

Does he love any tv shows or movies? If you can find a themed version of a game he already has, that could be fun. (Harry Potter Clue or Star Wars Monopoly, that kind of thing.) I have Cat-opoly (cat version of Monopoly) and I love it, even though we have 'real' Monopoly, too.

Does he have Catan? If so does he have all the expansions?
Another game that is I think is kinda similar (my brother got it one year but didn't play it while he was home) is called Ticket to Ride: Europe (he wanted the Europe version vs the regular version)

I quite enjoy board games but I also really like puzzles. Is he a puzzler?

I do also like PBCs suggestion of a themed game even if he has the original version of a game already (I Lowkey want Disney monopoly even though we have at least 2 versions of monopoly already)

PBC: Think less traditional board games (Monopoly, Scrabble, etc) and more niche. Catan was a good suggestion but boyfriend and I have a mutual hatred of Catan (it was the entire basis of our first conversation on Match). I think he has TtR but not sure about expansions. I'm looking at Arkham Horror which seems a little less mainstream so he may not own it yet. He does not play D&D.

It's like my step dad and tools - no idea what to get him cause he owns it all!

PBC: Think less traditional board games (Monopoly, Scrabble, etc) and more niche. Catan was a good suggestion but boyfriend and I have a mutual hatred of Catan (it was the entire basis of our first conversation on Match). I think he has TtR but not sure about expansions. I'm looking at Arkham Horror which seems a little less mainstream so he may not own it yet. He does not play D&D.

it may not be as immediately rewarding, but depending on budget, perhaps backing an interesting game or two on kickstarter in his name? Basically zero chance of him having it. I have a Zombies, Run! game coming in the next month or so that I backed during the summer that I'm fairly psyched for. Or a kickstarter gift card? I'd love that personally, and there are constantly new games on there.

Paired with, like, brownies for more immediate gratification lol.

Reactions: 2 users
it may not be as immediately rewarding, but depending on budget, perhaps backing an interesting game or two on kickstarter in his name? Basically zero chance of him having it. I have a Zombies, Run! game coming in the next month or so that I backed during the summer that I'm fairly psyched for. Or a kickstarter gift card? I'd love that personally, and there are constantly new games on there.

Paired with, like, brownies for more immediate gratification lol.
Obviously you'll have no idea how good the games are or anything, but that's kinda part of the fun imo.

On the opposite spectrum, how about my dad: 40yo, just out of the marines, likes working out, hockey/mma, video games (buys himself every game he wants), booze (anyone know scotch way better than me?) and watching crappy tv.

I've defaulted to underarmour gear for at least the last two years. Help.

Any local scotch or whisky where you are? Even if it's not the greatest booze, I always like going with something a scotch aficionado probably hasn't had before and can't find outside of the local area.

I agree with Trilt that backing a kickstarter would be a great way to find some new games for him to try out! If you're looking for something to give him in the meantime, look into Betrayal at House on the Hill. It's super fun and due to how the game is designed the game is different every time you play it so he could probably get a lot of use out of it.

You can also go the super cheesy route and make a version of his favorite game themed around your lives lol. I've made many themed Clue and Monopoly games that were a huge hit with the folks I gave them to.