Gift ideas!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And just like that I have a flashback to the Christmas where all the boy cousins got these awesome tiny electric cars and all the girl cousins got Barbie dolls and I was sooo jealous of their cars I cried.
My boy cousin wouldn't let my sister and I play with his cars when we were 2 and 4, so my mom bought us our own cars (and one of those awesome car rugs with the town on them). Our cousin was super jealous of our limo Hot Wheels car.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
And just like that I have a flashback to the Christmas where all the boy cousins got these awesome tiny electric cars and all the girl cousins got Barbie dolls and I was sooo jealous of their cars I cried.

I usually asked for both for Christmas as a kid :)

I actually got my Dad (another hard to buy for person) a small beginners drone for Christmas. I had no idea what FNAF was about! He's been carrying around the same 2 figures for 2 months now. I know my brother and my sister already got them both a bunch of that stuff, so I'm not sure what will be left in my price range. I try not to spend more than $30 on each kid.
What about card games? My nephew loves pokemon so if they like that sort of thing, they would probably love to have new cards to play with. The card packs aren't that expensive either. And you can always fall back on the FNAF stuff, I found out today that they sell stuffed animals, figurines, legos, and key chains at target at about $20 or less.
The drone for your dad reminds me of when my dad got a remote controlled helicopter for Christmas one year and flew it straight into our hill the first time he took it out :dead:

Members don't see this ad :)
What about card games? My nephew loves pokemon so if they like that sort of thing, they would probably love to have new cards to play with. The card packs aren't that expensive either. And you can always fall back on the FNAF stuff, I found out today that they sell stuffed animals, figurines, legos, and key chains at target at about $20 or less.
The drone for your dad reminds me of when my dad got a remote controlled helicopter for Christmas one year and flew it straight into our hill the first time he took it out :dead:
Oh my dad is totally crashing that drone fast, that's why I got him a cheap one and he can use it to learn, and then he can buy himself an expensive one later if he likes it.

Reactions: 1 user
I am so stumped for my dad this year. He likes to smoke cigarettes, sit on the couch reading all day, eat snacks, drink bourbon and cook. His list consists of something out of my price range, some sweaters (which I got him) and a small carry on sized suitcase...which I got for him last year. My sister (the creative one) got him a monthly snack box (Graze) that he liked, he already has a Kindle for reading and he's got a ton of kitchen stuff already. Not planning on giving him cigarettes or alcohol...help please.

Hahaha a few years ago my best friend also got a remote control helicopter and on the very first flight in his apartment he accidentally landed it in a bowl full of water in the kitchen sink. It was hilarious.

Reactions: 1 users
I am so stumped for my dad this year. He likes to smoke cigarettes, sit on the couch reading all day, eat snacks, drink bourbon and cook. His list consists of something out of my price range, some sweaters (which I got him) and a small carry on sized suitcase...which I got for him last year. My sister (the creative one) got him a monthly snack box (Graze) that he liked, he already has a Kindle for reading and he's got a ton of kitchen stuff already. Not planning on giving him cigarettes or alcohol...help please.
Your dad sounds like the protagonist of an old school novel.

@vetmedhead I don't know if your mom needs a pair of slippers, but if you don't buy these unicorn slippers, someone else needs to.

51028783_Alt01

I just saw them at target and they're way cooler-looking and more unicorn-looking in person

Members don't see this ad :)
I need an idea for a christmas party gift exchange. I've done Alex an Ani Bracelets the past two years, which have been well received, but I would kind of like to do something different...I just don't know what.

If anyone's going to a white elephant party and is struggling to figure out what to bring that most people would be happy with (read: me), bring one of those mason jar cookie mixes, with all the pretty layers of dry ingredients. I figure mostly everyone loves cookies so I'm now bringing these to gift exchanges for the rest of my life because they're simple and cheap but still require enough effort to be thoughtful.

Or, you know, give one to everyone you know. Make it a sugar cookie mix for someone who doesn't like chocolate, peanut butter for a reese's fan, ginger snap for a redhead, or even do gluten free/vegan options for those with dietary restrictions. This is my go-to whenever I'm at a loss for what to get someone. :D

I need an idea for a christmas party gift exchange. I've done Alex an Ani Bracelets the past two years, which have been well received, but I would kind of like to do something different...I just don't know what.
@mmmdreamerz check out floridajl's idea. Not sure if it strikes your fancy

I actually did this last year from someone else only with hot chocolate...cookies is a good idea!
I made a bunch jar things for my sister one year. I remember there was some kind of bread jar, a soup jar, cookie jar, and I can't exactly remember what else there was, but I think I made 5 or 6. There are TONS of different gift-in-a-jar recipes online

I made a bunch jar things for my sister one year. I remember there was some kind of bread jar, a soup jar, cookie jar, and I can't exactly remember what else there was, but I think I made 5 or 6. There are TONS of different gift-in-a-jar recipes online

I really like the idea of doing a collection!

For gift exchanges, I have an idea if the other people participating consume alcohol:

Found a pack of different types of local made bitters (eg Lemon, Ginger, Rhubarb). Decently cheap, somewhat useful, and delicious. Even if you don't drink cocktails, they taste yummy in juice.

When I told my mother what I ended up getting, she was jealous and wanted them. Luckily for her (although she doesn't know it) I grabbed a pack for her as well ;)

My bro and dad are both pilots. My brother likes hockey. My dad likes fishing, but he already has everything he needs. I have no idea what to get them. My dad drinks G&Ts with Hendricks only. Any ideas??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is utterly not helpful for gift giving, but we should totally do an SDN Secret Santa next year.
I'm so down for this, and could even run it. I'm running a Secret Santa this year for my cosplay group

Reactions: 4 users
So a gift idea for your nerdy cooking friends (screenshotted instead of an Amazon link)
image.png

Reactions: 3 users
Help needed! :oops:

I haven't bought anything for my hubby yet. I usually write things down throughout the year for ideas but apparently that didn't happen on clinics. He's a software engineer and is very techy. Enjoys reading, history, hiking, anything to do with his dog (a shorkie :p), video games (PS4 & vita), basketball (but isn't loyal to a specific team), went to Penn State... We're planning a vacation to Hawaii this spring. Not sure if there is something he could use for that. Problem is we have most things he has mentioned wanting or they are more money than I can afford (like a new macbook pro). The dog will definitely be spoiled separately.

Help needed! :oops:

I haven't bought anything for my hubby yet. I usually write things down throughout the year for ideas but apparently that didn't happen on clinics. He's a software engineer and is very techy. Enjoys reading, history, hiking, anything to do with his dog (a shorkie :p), video games (PS4 & vita), basketball (but isn't loyal to a specific team), went to Penn State... We're planning a vacation to Hawaii this spring. Not sure if there is something he could use for that. Problem is we have most things he has mentioned wanting or they are more money than I can afford (like a new macbook pro). The dog will definitely be spoiled separately.
You could see if there's some sort of excursion thing you could do while in Hawaii. Like paddleboarding or scuba/snorkel or something.

Also, my parents have been to Hawaii many many times and highly do NOT recommend the Road to Hana thing. Twisty and narrow and not for people who don't like looking over cliffsides as you drive. Also the sun is apparently directly in your eyes the whole time when you have to drive back. This is just my parents review of it though, so take it with a grain of salt since I'm secondhand reviewing (?)
But if you're looking for gifts that could be good for the trip, you could buy a new bathing suit/sandals for him or a nicer mask and snorkel (if you plan on going snorkeling and going more than once, especially if you plan on diving)

Just made a peppermint sugar scrub for a secret santa exchange at work. Hope it turned out well. Had some extra left over so I feel like I should give it a try myself tonight.

Hey! I don't post a lot but could use some gift advice!!

I've been shadowing a small animal vet (family friend of 15+yrs) for the past few months who recently hired me on as a vet assistant (wohoo!). It is a small, two Dr. clinic. I've come to know the other vet well and would like to get them both something. I don't know what the "protocol" is for buying gifts for bosses. I was thinking some nice loose-leaf tea and a mug (they are both tea-drinkers)? Does that seem reasonable?

Also searching for ideas for my boyfriend's parents. My bf and I have only been together about 8 months, but I have met his parents a few times and think something small would be appropriate. However, I won't see them for several weeks - would sending flowers be ok? Or maybe an edible arrangement or something along those lines?

Thanks in advance !

I've been shadowing a small animal vet (family friend of 15+yrs) for the past few months who recently hired me on as a vet assistant (wohoo!). It is a small, two Dr. clinic. I've come to know the other vet well and would like to get them both something. I don't know what the "protocol" is for buying gifts for bosses. I was thinking some nice loose-leaf tea and a mug (they are both tea-drinkers)? Does that seem reasonable?

Also searching for ideas for my boyfriend's parents. My bf and I have only been together about 8 months, but I have met his parents a few times and think something small would be appropriate. However, I won't see them for several weeks - would sending flowers be ok? Or maybe an edible arrangement or something along those lines?

Thanks in advance !

I got my bosses each a nice ornament. Pier one has some good ones for $5. But tea and mugs are a great gift too! Flowers or an edible arrangement for your bf's parents are great. Or ornaments if they have a tree. Or candles or a poinsettia. You're definitely on the right track :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I did a little secret santa exchange with some of the people in my class. The girl I got is jewish, and I knew she had a sense of humor, so I got her one of these:

Yamaclaus-640x634.jpg

I just left a note on her desk that said:

"Merry xmas jew.

Love,
Your favorite gimp"

It's called a Yamaclaus, pretty classic and she loved it. Tread lightly, but I hate all types of people equally so I can say stuff like that.

Reactions: 4 users

Thanks in advance !
I got an air plant for my boss last year
air-plants.jpg

that she really liked. She didn't have much in the way of decorations in her office, so I thought to get her something to liven it up a bit

Holy smokes I didn't think that picture would be gigantic. pic is bigger than what the actual plant was

Holy smokes I didn't think that picture would be gigantic. pic is bigger than what the actual plant was

Seems like it's a pretty small plant if the pic is bigger.

Kind of want to get a holiday/thank you gift for people who wrote me letters. Two are teachers, two are vets, all in the equine field. Any thoughts?

Seems like it's a pretty small plant if the pic is bigger.

Kind of want to get a holiday/thank you gift for people who wrote me letters. Two are teachers, two are vets, all in the equine field. Any thoughts?

I made chocolate covered pretzels for everyone who wrote me letters.

I bought my mom the new Cinderella movie for Christmas and I'm with her at Walmart and she has it in her cart what do I do help

Can you return your copy and get something else?
I don't know if I kept the receipt. I bought it a while ago when there was a sale. I'll look though.

Mothers aren't allowed to shop for themselves at Christmas. :yeahright:

I was going to sneak it out of her cart and hope she didn't notice at check out, but she was paying attention and I wasn't ninja enough

So I just wanted to share this amazing gift I received from my boyfriends sister. She created and framed this of our dog, Jay, a brindle greyhound. It's probably the best gift I have ever received!

Attachments

• IMG_0606.JPG
    IMG_0606.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0607.JPG
    IMG_0607.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
MOTHERS ARE SO DIFFICULT TO SHOP FOR (well, at least mine is...)

MOTHERS ARE SO DIFFICULT TO SHOP FOR (well, at least mine is...)

If pet buy something for pet. If loves animal find something artsy to hang on wall. If loves cooking look for cute kitchen thing.

Or just get her a clock if she's always late

You can do it!

If pet buy something for pet. If loves animal find something artsy to hang on wall. If loves cooking look for cute kitchen thing.

Or just get her a clock if she's always late

You can do it!

I'm five seconds from buying her a cat carrier because she always steals mine...my brain can't handle anything else lol