Girl in need of your educated thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shabo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just looking for general thoughts on how I need to do on the MCAT, and what my chances are either allopathic or osteopathic.
BS in Nutrition, no additional schooling
3.5 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA. Rough senior year due mainly to the depth of my research. I pretty much spent all of my time in the lab.
Taking MCAT in May.
3 years mentored research, primary author on two published scientific papers (reputable journals, and hence the poor senior year GPA).
Life Sciences Student Council, Life Sciences representative at University level Student Advisory Council
Decent volunteer/shadowing hours
Club president for two clubs
Good LORS
Tons of other activities, medical and non-medical, that captivated my interest in college.
Took two years off after college to pursue love of cake decorating, just to make sure medicine was where I truly wanted to be. It is :)

Members don't see this ad.

Your only real problem is a low science GPA. A 33+ on your MCAT will make up for it imo. Take a test prep course or do the study schedule on the MCAT forum. If you get a 30-32 you'd still probably get accepted if you applied broadly, but you'll be so much better off with a high MCAT.

It's not going to go well with a downward trend your senior year. 3.2 is below the science 10th percentile at almost all MD schools and is just below average for Osteopathic. Your 3.5 is the osteopathic average and about the ~30th percentile for MD. The research sounds good, but it shouldn't be an excuse for poor grades. I don't think many people will interpret your excuse for dropping grades senior year very positively. It'll boil down to the MCAT. If you get >34, you'll probably get some MD appreciation. Otherwise, D.O. would be the best thing to do.