Girls and skirts vs pantsuit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golgi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a 4th year I will be going on interviews this fall (I hope) and want to know what is considered proper interview attire for a female now. When I intervewed for med school they kept telling us that girls should wear skirt suits. However, is it okay to go with the pantsuit instead since they are way more comfortable? Or does the conservative medical establishment still prefer skirt suits? Does it even matter anymore? What did you see on the interview trail?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

It's been several years since I interviewed (2001 grad) but even then, most of us wore pants suits. They're WAY more comfortable. Also, if you wear pants you can wear flat shoes...a must! Believe me, interviews are stressful enough without having aching feet and the awkwardness of a skirt.

I have talked to a few interns and they all said that most females wore pant suits at the interview, but I think either is acceptable.

I can't see how it will matter as long as you look professional and you feel like you look your best. I personally plan on wearing a skirt but that's just a personal preference because I never wear pants, always skirts and will feel more confortable that way.

I never understood why a skirt is considered more conservative than pants. Is it because "women shouldn't wear pants" or something?

(nicedream) said:
I never understood why a skirt is considered more conservative than pants. Is it because "women shouldn't wear pants" or something?

Probably. I'm wearing a skirt because I look bad in pantsuits (I'm very tall). I have a hard time finding pants long enough without being dowdy. Also, I've always worn flats with any of my suits (I really don't feel like being 6'2 in heels).

I think but that in all but the most conservative residencies, a pants suit would be just fine. When I interviewed (2000-2001) MOST wore skirt suits, but frankly, I envied those who wore trouser suits. Much more practical and comfortable, especially in the cold northeast. I think they are becoming more accepted these days; many of our female candidates wear them and I've NEVER heard a disaparing comment about it.

Just to add my 2 cents....

Women wore skirt suits in most of the interview groups I saw wandering through the hospital last year, but not likely a representative sample. My school advised us to wear skirt suits, but I know several people who did just fine in pant suits

Hi,

At many interviews, I was the only one in a brown pantsuit while everyone else was in black or navy skirtsuits.

I got the impression that the younger, hipper interviewers thought it was great (I got lots of compliments on the brown suit), but some of the old-school people would have preferred something more traditional.

If I had to do it all over again, I would dress for the weather - in TX and CA I would have been drenched in a pantsuit, but in MN or OH it was way too cold for skirts (and too icy for heels.)

I'm one of those people who could care less about "fitting in with the fashion standards," unless it's way inappropriate.

Good luck.

I think pantsuits are catching on more recently. I wore pantsuits for both my residency and fellowship interviews. For my residency interviews in 2001-2002, there were maybe only 2 or 3 women wearing pants on any given interview day I went to(out of maybe 10-15 women). On the other hand, this last year I did fellowship interviews, and the vast majority of women on interviews with me wore pantsuits. I never got the impression from any of the faculty or fellows that this was an issue at all.

Just wear what you are most comfortable in. Keep the weather in mind, as a pantsuit might keep you warmer in fall/winter than a skirt suit.

No one really cares, as long as you look professional (in other words, polished and neat).

I like to skirts if your a girl and have great legs. Don't like pantsuits. Short skirts are good. :D :eek: :laugh: :love: :love: :love:

this might be slightly off topic - but i find it that whenever i log onto MSN, they always have articles on the front website with '10 great tips for job interviews'. the funny thing though is that the girls are always wearing skirts in the pictures while carrying these cute side satchel bags. i wonder if they're sending a message to consumers that skirts these days are 'still in' as what's expected. i might as well take their word for it because apparently MSN knows the trends as their front page is always dominated with paris hilton and the such :rolleyes:

but to add to the topic at hand....are side satchel bags fashion faux pax to med school interviews?

It's hard to say how much the type of suit you wear really affects your chances. Personally, though, I'll be wearing a skirt. I just look sexier in a skirt and anything that I can do to arouse the male interviewers can only work to my advantage. It's been said that beautiful people get more job opportunities. As wrong as it may be, I can accept it and choose to react to it by looking as hot as possible.

Innocent Girl said:
It's hard to say how much the type of suit you wear really affects your chances. Personally, though, I'll be wearing a skirt. I just look sexier in a skirt and anything that I can do to arouse the male interviewers can only work to my advantage. It's been said that beautiful people get more job opportunities. As wrong as it may be, I can accept it and choose to react to it by looking as hot as possible.

lol....maybe we're not so innocent at all, huh innocent girl ;)

casey

casey at bat said:
lol....maybe we're not so innocent at all, huh innocent girl ;)

casey

You got me there. Btw, you have a beautiful avatar.

Innocent Girl said:
You got me there. Btw, you have a beautiful avatar.

why thank you...*blushes*....i tried going for the studious yet still non-chalantly posing look. this was the only one i got not where i didn't look constipated.... :D

casey

casey at bat said:
why thank you...*blushes*....i tried going for the studious yet still non-chalantly posing look. this was the only one i got not where i didn't look constipated.... :D

casey

:laugh:

I wish I could pull off beautiful/intelligent look. Most people automatically assume I'm a dumb bimbo (although sometimes this has its advantages).

Innocent Girl said:
:laugh:

I wish I could pull off beautiful/intelligent look. Most people automatically assume I'm a dumb bimbo (although sometimes this has its advantages).

God knows it does for me!!! heheheh *flips my hair*

As a guy, I personally feel that a pantsuit is more comely than a skirtsuit. Pantsuit is more fashionable, and more professional in a modern way. Skirtsuit looks awkward and unflattering even for attractive people. The skirt divides your line at the knees, whereas a pantsuit preserves your line.

I also think that the skirtsuit says vulnerability and dependence, whereas the pantsuit says power and independence. A pantsuit vs. a skirtsuit is like the difference between a sleek modern building vs. a frilly old fashioned dimestore.

I'm wearing a pantsuit. How else am I supposed to wear a "bunny suit" over my clothes during the OR tours?? :laugh:

Seriously though, I agree with the previous poster. Pantsuits look more modern and professional to me. Plus, I'm applying mostly to Chicago and NE programs...it's going to be COLD!!

hey girls!

just remember, it would suck if your pantyhose decides to cause problems in the middle of an interview. i'd def. go for a pantsuit...there are no hassles. you don't get cold, your pantyhose won't rip, & you don't need to shave your legs right before the interview and risk having nicks/cuts or blood dripping down your legs (ugh, that sounds dirty). anyhow, if you think you look amazing in a skirt, then go for it, otherwise, pantsuits are so much more comfortable.

for you petite women out there - try ann taylor loft, petite sophisticate, or banana republic.

good luck!

Well Innocent girl has the right idea. But let me just say that she might get a date out of the whole skirt thing but in all honesty if you came into an interview with a short skirt and were trying to win on sex appeal, would have a serious problem. You see who you are is on the transcript and who you show is on you waist.

So, unless you have 220 and above on step one and two with tons of letters stating you are a saint. I director might look at you and say to himself.

WOW, I WOULD LIKE TO F SHE **** OUT OF HER, BUT I WOULD NEVER PUT HER IN MY PROGRAM. :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: :scared:

Good Luck.
EH.

I'm going for a skirt. I think I'm in between sizes in pants right now, and all the one's I've tried on either make me look like I should be going clubbing (too tight) or are too baggy and don't fit right. I really wanted a pants suit too. But since I'm applying in warm, sunny states, I think a skirt won't be bad.

Good luck everyone!

:) kem

Wear whatever you feel most comfortable and confident in. If you think you look your best, you'll present yourself in the best way. If you feel akward in a skirt or worried about what people may think of a pantsuit, you'll be preoccupied by these thoughts and won't seem as confident as if you wore what you felt best in.

I went with a classic knee-length black dress with matching black suit jacket over it (from Ann Taylor I think). I interviewed for surgery, one of the more conservative specialties. My dress was classy and not too sexy, so I think it projected a good first impression. I do feel that I look more attractive in a dress suit than a pantsuit and I do believe that at least subliminally people are more likely to hire and attractive person than an unattractive person. Not fair, but true. So wear what you think you look best in because looks do count, fair or not.

BTW, none of the places I interviewed made us put on bunny suits and go into the OR, we just walked past the main desk, locker rooms, lounge areas and kinda peeked down the hall. So don't use this as a factor in your decision. Comfortable Shoes are key, I agree with that.

Defintely pants

When I interviewed (2002-03), I started with a skirt. I quickly came to regret it. First of all, your interview day will include going to some kind of conference with the residents and often those are held in ancient audtiorums whose seats are not in great repair (read: very high snag/run risk) It's hard to look professional when you are trying to cover up a run in your hose. Second, you have to worry much more about how you sit. Third, it was freaking cold!

I switched to pants by mid december (I found a suit that had both). Funny thing, early on most of the women were wearing skirts, and then I saw mostly pants at about the time I switched. It was much better...easier to move around in, less to worry about, and warmer (during my entire New England tour Boston Harbor was frozen...it has to be pretty damn cold for salt water to freeze!). Plus, there were several interviews where I was the only female...and boy was I glad I was wearing pants then...made me feel like I fit in much better.

If you pick a color other than black or navy blue, expect some comments on that (whether it be pants or skirt, you will stand out sharply from the sea of black/navy). I'm not sure that standing out for what you are wearing is a good thing in this setting.

golgi said:
As a 4th year I will be going on interviews this fall (I hope) and want to know what is considered proper interview attire for a female now. When I intervewed for med school they kept telling us that girls should wear skirt suits. However, is it okay to go with the pantsuit instead since they are way more comfortable? Or does the conservative medical establishment still prefer skirt suits? Does it even matter anymore? What did you see on the interview trail?

Thanks for the help!

I am a coordinator. You can wear whatever you are comfortable in. Female applicants last year wore dresses, skirt suits and pant suits. You will do just fine I am sure. :)

short shorts and a cutoff haltertop... bellybutton piercings and strategically placed tattos are bonuses...

Innocent Girl said:

This is nothing new. I've seen tons of girls dress extra-provocatively on their clinical rotations. Sick doctors! Give honors to anything with a little cleavage and a short skirt.

Either is fine. Wear what makes you feel comfortable and confident. The confidence will leave a lasting impression. The skirt may or may not.

Kilgorian said:
Either is fine. Wear what makes you feel comfortable and confident. The confidence will leave a lasting impression. The skirt may or may not.

[ Kimberly, have you been making your boyfriends in Hershey into moderators? :D :D ] (j/k)

carrigallen said:
[ Kimberly, have you been making your boyfriends in Hershey into moderators? :D :D ] (j/k)

Hope Kilgorian's wife doesn't see this! ;)

Nope...just needed an Ortho Moderator and I knew he'd be good at it (keep your eyes peeled for more Hershey-ites invading SDN. Its my secret plan to take over the site!!!)

I've never seen Kimberli in a skirt suit! My lawyer will answer any more questions.

P.S. I have a hard time imagining Innocent Girl looking dependent and vulnerable in a nice-looking skirt. Maybe it's not right, but if you got it, flaunt it. I say work it. As long as you don't go overboard (the border is professionally seductive!), it can only help you. You cannot change human nature.

P.P.S. I'd like to meet Casey at Bat and Innocent Girl (at the same time) and give them my opinion on their skirt suits, but spontaneous combustion is a reality I don't want to experience!

P.P.P.S. I'm married to a beautiful wife and have two lovely children (little girls - and one of them looks just like me [it's a trip every time I look at her]). I just wanted to get that on the record.

I'm petite (4'10") with really short but relatively attractive runner's legs. My pantsuits are brown and light gray. All my more "conservative" black/navy skirt suits are, um, a little short since if I wear knee length or longer, I look like a dumpy old woman.

My question is, is it okay to wear an above the knee skirt with an otherwise conservative jacket, or do I need to go shopping?

I also am a petite person 5' and a coordinator. I wear my skirts above the knee otherwise I also look like a dumpy old woman, lol. If the skirt was a mini, I would say that is a no no but otherwise it is fine. Have a good interview season.

I bought a suit that came with both a skirt and pants. For the programs that I knew were more conservative (East Coast, private hospitals, etc), I went with the skirt suit. For the programs that were more laid back, I went with the pant suit. Honestly, now that interviews are behind me, I realize that it really did not matter to interviewers what I wore, at least as far as pants vs. skirt. But at least I always felt comfortable with my decisions.

Hi. Here's my question...I'm in the process of suit shopping, and I was wondering if one fabric is more acceptable than another. I've been told that "wool" is what to choose. Is that the standard or is it okay (at least for the warmer areas of the U.S) to wear a lighter fabric? It's not fair how many stores are filled with men's suits where as if I find a petite (yet another factor to contend with) woman's suit I feel like I've found a secret treasure. If anyone can help with fabric choice I'd appreciate the help. :eek: