Give advice to your past P1 self (asking for P1 advice by proxy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fullmetalphrm

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hypothetical question: What do you wish your past P1 student self had done differently, or what are you thankful that you did in your first year (well all years for that matter) of pharmacy school?

Soon to be P1 student essentially seeing what kind of things I should get involved with early on to better my chances of becoming a successful pharmacist in the future.

I plan on joining a variety of clubs as well as plan on completing a residency after graduating (once you get out it's hard to 'go back' from what I can gather). I also plan on networking as much as I can, since the pharmacy world is quite small.

So, any good tips to your past self/current P1 students?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
P1-was perfect.
P2- is perfect.

Only advise...get some work experience...It will make P2 year easier as you will be require to memorize a million drugs in a very short amount of time! If you have work experience you will already know all the drugs and that will make your life much easier! 🙂
 
P1-was perfect.
P2- is perfect.

Only advise...get some work experience...It will make P2 year easier as you will be require to memorize a million drugs in a very short amount of time! If you have work experience you will already know all the drugs and that will make your life much easier! 🙂

Not true. You still have to study.

If you think that you won't have to study as hard because you know the drugs from working, it will make things difficult.

P1 self - study more, and listen to professors in class instead of trying to write down everything they say.
 
I wish I would have worked more (just did a summer internship), but not too much. I am also pretty involved at school now, but I hardly did anything P1 year. I have done research throughout pharmacy school, but I wish I would have had more time to devote to it and maybe gotten a publication or something out of it. Only so many hours in the day, though.

One thing I think I did right in school was to work hard to keep my gpa up. I know it's not all about grades, but I really don't want to have to compete for residency with a lower gpa.
 
Not true. You still have to study.

If you think that you won't have to study as hard because you know the drugs from working, it will make things difficult.

P1 self - study more, and listen to professors in class instead of trying to write down everything they say.

Ah that's what I have to get better at. It's kind of nice they actually record the lectures at some pharmacy schools (mine included) and you can access these later, so I can get away with doing a bit of both I suppose.
 
In retrospect, I wish I had worked during the school year. I was worried that working would cut into my study time too much, but I really don't think that would have been the case. Wouldn't have hurt me to study a little bit more in certain classes.
 
I wish I would have worked more (just did a summer internship), but not too much. I am also pretty involved at school now, but I hardly did anything P1 year. I have done research throughout pharmacy school, but I wish I would have had more time to devote to it and maybe gotten a publication or something out of it. Only so many hours in the day, though.

One thing I think I did right in school was to work hard to keep my gpa up. I know it's not all about grades, but I really don't want to have to compete for residency with a lower gpa.

That's good to hear that having a good GPA does pay off later on, I intend to apply for a residency and this will hopefully keep me good and motivated.
 
Not true. You still have to study.

If you think that you won't have to study as hard because you know the drugs from working, it will make things difficult.

P1 self - study more, and listen to professors in class instead of trying to write down everything they say.

It is easier when you are already familiar with the drugs though. So in that sense you will not have to study "as hard". Of course you will still have to study (hard), but being familiar with the drugs in advance is a really nice advantage to working in a pharmacy, IMO. When you are not even familiar with the drug names, it makes it that much harder to learn everything you need to know about them.
 
Don't borrow too much money!!

Ugh this is one topic I need to prepare for. Hopefully cheap vegetables and rice will get me through without breaking bank on food. Everything else... well thank goodness FAFSA at a graduate level can be quite helpful... :scared:
 
Ugh this is one topic I need to prepare for. Hopefully cheap vegetables and rice will get me through without breaking bank on food. Everything else... well thank goodness FAFSA at a graduate level can be quite helpful... :scared:

If you work during the school year, you'll have some money to spend on food, so you won't have to borrow too much money.

Also, if you save up some money from working in undergrad, you'll have some money to use during pharmacy school.
 
If you work during the school year, you'll have some money to spend on food, so you won't have to borrow too much money.

Also, if you save up some money from working in undergrad, you'll have some money to use during pharmacy school.

I have a bit of money I can tap into, and have been accumulating it for a purpose like this but must use it sparingly. It would be great to get into a paid internship, although this could cut a lot of time out of the average day... I'll just have to see.

But if I can make rent and get my basic nutrients I'm good.
 
Hey guys, so if we want to start working, should we first have experience as a tech and then just move up from there or can we go straight into interning? Also for someone who doesn't have experience or a tech license, should I first go for the tech license if I want a better shot at getting an intern job?? Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, so if we want to start working, should we first have experience as a tech and then just move up from there or can we go straight into interning? Also for someone who doesn't have experience or a tech license, should I first go for the tech license if I want a better shot at getting an intern job?? Thanks.

If you go straight into interning without being a tech first (which is what I did), it can be quite a challenge to have to pick up on things, including working with others in the pharmacy who are so close to you every single day. It can be frustrating, lead to a lot of drama, and you might get nervous because you won't know how to deal with it initially. But after you get over those initial steps, things are much more comfortable.

If you work as a tech first and then work as an intern, the transition is a lot smoother, you'll know what to expect from working in a pharmacy previously. Also, if you have worked as a tech first and then try to find intern positions, they might see that they won't have to train you as long as a person who has never worked in a pharmacy, so that might give you some advantages.
 
Thanks for the advice crazybob! I think it is kinda hard to get a tech job nowadays though because of the recession. I actually did apply for some but they never replied back, although I wasn't very serious when I applied. I guess I should get my tech license and I'll try to get something this summer in the area... and maybe if I say I'll stay with them & work as an intern for the next 4 years they'll be more inclined to take me. Well I hope 🙂 Thanks again!
 
If you go straight into interning without being a tech first (which is what I did), it can be quite a challenge to have to pick up on things, including working with others in the pharmacy who are so close to you every single day. It can be frustrating, lead to a lot of drama, and you might get nervous because you won't know how to deal with it initially. But after you get over those initial steps, things are much more comfortable.

As usual I agree with Bob, but I wanted to add that if you do go the straight to intern route, be humble. It's awkward because the techs will know so much more than you initially, but remember you are there to learn. This was the worst part for me initially, I always felt like I should know more than I did.

If you come at it with an attitude of trying to learn from everyone (including techs), you will find it much easier to get along with everyone. I have heard of some my classmates having trouble with techs at their job sites, I strongly suspect it is because they lack people skills and just come across as having an attitude.

I think this is probably the worst part of dealing with interns, some of us have an incredibly bad attitude. Be humble, gracious, and thankful. No one wants to work with someone who thinks they are better than everyone else.
 
if your school is anything like mine, study your ass off for pathophys and immunology. And I would have learned the top 100 drugs earlier too, instead of running through flash cards up until the second before the quiz.

Old stupid habits die hard.
 
Thanks for the advice crazybob! I think it is kinda hard to get a tech job nowadays though because of the recession. I actually did apply for some but they never replied back, although I wasn't very serious when I applied. I guess I should get my tech license and I'll try to get something this summer in the area... and maybe if I say I'll stay with them & work as an intern for the next 4 years they'll be more inclined to take me. Well I hope 🙂 Thanks again!

I don't think retail chains care if you have a tech license. Once you're in pharmacy school, it's in their protocol to either hire you as an intern, or hire you as a tech and then at some later date promote you to intern and give you back pay (this happened to a few people I know).
 
if your school is anything like mine, study your ass off for pathophys and immunology. And I would have learned the top 100 drugs earlier too, instead of running through flash cards up until the second before the quiz.

Old stupid habits die hard.

It sounds like I'll begin learning the top 100 drugs then, do you recommend any books that are useful throughout pharmacy school that could help with this?
 
It sounds like I'll begin learning the top 100 drugs then, do you recommend any books that are useful throughout pharmacy school that could help with this?
We were required to buy those top 200 flash card sets. Are those still made?

If you're at all considering a residency, make sure you keep your grades up from day 1. It's easy to change your mind later and decide not to do a residency but it's hella hard to bring up a low GPA by the time you have a couple hundred credit hours in your p4 year.

I would have told my P1 self to look into the IHS scholarship programs. Had I started that as soon as possible, I might have gone that path because the benefits are really good.
 
It sounds like I'll begin learning the top 100 drugs then, do you recommend any books that are useful throughout pharmacy school that could help with this?

Basic and Clinical Pharmacology 11th edition by Katzung. It's a thick book to read, but it goes through many Brand names, generics names, therapeutic categories, and classes in a table format at the end of almost every chapter. Dosages, strengths, and auxiliary labels are things you can learn from working.
 
Know that the best way to study for exams in pharmacy school is to have a clinical mindset, not a scientific one.
 
P1 - Get out now! Go to med school/start a business instead😡
P2 - It's still not too late!😱
P3 - Darn it, it's a wee late now... what to do what to do:scared:
P4 - Oh, well I'll suck it up and start a major blog about how pharmacy sux!:idea:
 
I don't have a hospital internship and they are hard to come by, but it may be a good idea to try and get one if you want to do a residency. I would think that this could give you the inside track to securing a residency with that hospital or another once you graduate.
 
I don't have a hospital internship and they are hard to come by, but it may be a good idea to try and get one if you want to do a residency. I would think that this could give you the inside track to securing a residency with that hospital or another once you graduate.

That's good to know, it sounds like half the battle in getting into different residencies is just getting your name known. Even unpaid shadowing will hopefully allow one to achieve that, so it sounds beneficial to 'get around' in the pharmacy world.
 
Start working now. Find a company that you like to work for and keep working for them until you graduate. Get hired on as a pharmacist after graduation.
If you find that you don't like the company that you're working for, quit as soon as you can and move on to another company that you would like to work for.

Time with a company can equal money. Think about retirement now :idea:
For example, if I had started working for my company sooner, I would have been fully vested already, which takes 6 years. But alas, I'm behind some of my fellow grads, who have been working for this company all along, by a couple of years.
 
Be single. Don't waste time with a pointless relationship that won't last when you could be having a lot of fun with other girls that are more on your level.
 
Be single. Don't waste time with a pointless relationship that won't last when you could be having a lot of fun with other girls that are more on your level.

But not too much fun to the point of it becoming a topic of discussion when classmates and other people at school tend to gossip :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Be single. Don't waste time with a pointless relationship that won't last when you could be having a lot of fun with other girls that are more on your level.

You mean...Be single. Don't waste time with a pointless relationship that won't last when you could be studying and making straight A(s). Sorry, I am all about the grades and I love it! 😀
 
But not too much fun to the point of it becoming a topic of discussion when classmates and other people at school tend to gossip :laugh:

nosepicking.gif
 
You mean...Be single. Don't waste time with a pointless relationship that won't last when you could be studying and making straight A(s). Sorry, I am all about the grades and I love it! 😀

So you're one of those people, huh. Well I'm sure we would make good friends. I could invite you to all the shindigs, and you could hook me up with the good study guides. Win-win in my opinion.
 
So you're one of those people, huh. Well I'm sure we would make good friends. I could invite you to all the shindigs, and you could hook me up with the good study guides. Win-win in my opinion.

Yes I am! :laugh: There is nothing wrong with relationships or partying or being popular and having fun in school...all that is cool and VERY EASY to do. I can get a boyfriend easily, anyone can party anytime they want to, anyone can be social and become popular and have fun...etc. EASY and not impressive at all. That's why I don't value any of those things nor do I do them b/c they are EASILY done and anyone can do it. All those things are very superfical.

I like to do things that are impressive and that is getting perfect grades and getting published in research and making 1-2 close/real friends.
 
Did I mention that I won my 3rd grade spelling bee?

That's right, be jealous. 😛


That is impressive!!!! I am very jealous...especially since English is my second language and I am not very good at it! 🙂 I remember when I first moved to the USA....I started every sentence with I and all my sentences were between 3 to 5 words in length! lol....
 
You mean...Be single. Don't waste time with a pointless relationship that won't last when you could be studying and making straight A(s). Sorry, I am all about the grades and I love it! 😀

I know people at my school who make straight A's, but they are not like you at all. They're still social, talk to classmates, and know how to have fun with their family. Oh and did I mention they get on facebook too? :laugh:
 
I know people at my school who make straight A's, but they are not like you at all. They're still social, talk to classmates, and know how to have fun with their family. Oh and did I mention they get on facebook too? :laugh:

I get on facebook once in a blue moon...everytime I log on there is like 50+ pending friend requests. LOL.. So I only go on there to accept friend requests and nothing else.
 
I know people at my school who make straight A's, but they are not like you at all. They're still social, talk to classmates, and know how to have fun with their family. Oh and did I mention they get on facebook too? :laugh:

Agreed. There's enough time in the day to accomplish a bit of everything. I, personally, think social skills are important, too... especially in a career in which you'll be interacting with people often. But it boils down to the old saying "Whatever floats your boat."
 
P1 - Get out now! Go to med school/start a business instead😡
P2 - It's still not too late!😱
P3 - Darn it, it's a wee late now... what to do what to do:scared:
P4 - Oh, well I'll suck it up and start a major blog about how pharmacy sux!:idea:

:laugh:

All of my P1-4 were the same as your P4.
 
P1 year - study, know the basics but try and have fun. Get a job, join some pharmacy organizations. It'll help you get to know people, I found a great study group and people to live with for next year. Also, yes, grades are sort of important but this isn't undergrad; don't freak out if you get a random C. Sometimes we have two or three tests in the same day, it's really unrealistic to think you'll ace all of them. I remember one of our exams in physio on autonomics...all the I'm-making-apparent-that-I'm-going-for-the-honor-society-people freaked out and cried and consumed far too much alcohol when they got their grades back. The rest of us that kept our heads down and kept moving did fine. I was reminded that day by one of our wise professors: our honor society accepts only the top 5% of people in the class, what are the chances that the person interviewing you for an internship/residency/job was in that top 5%? Pretty damn slim. In fact I've met a couple of residency directors that won't even interview a 4.0 (well unless you cured AIDS in Darfur, then maybe) because they tend to have no life experience and can't think on their feet. Anyway, the point is, just have fun 🙂

I was curious about this so I asked my DOP about it. She said she thinks of anything like being top of your class, etc. as a bit of a red flag. She has had many experiences with 4.0 types that she did not care for.

On the other hand she just hired a new pharmacist who graduated top of his class and he is probably the most humble pharmacist I have ever met. He is almost unimaginably low-key. My DOP said she almost didn't interview him but decided that she might as well. She was really pleasantly surprised. I guess my point is you just never know.