Give it to me Straight Guys/Girls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

WishUponAStar

Hey folks,

Its me again. ;-)

I posted before that I didn't make it into medschool for fall of 2000. My April MCAT came back.

My score was 10V, 8P, 9B O Writing.

GPA is a 3.2 overall and my Science is a 3.3. I show a very strong positive trend in my transcript. My freshman year was bad. I've got alot of community volunteer experience with children.

What do you think? Do I stand a chance for Fall 2001?

Thanks,
W.

Members don't see this ad.

You didn't get into DO school with those scores? Or were your MCAT scores different last time (or did you apply to MD school)? From what I see, you should be just fine for admissions to DO school. Your gpa is average and your mcat scores are avg. or above average for some schools. give a post back and let us know how things are going in the admissions processes.

Andrew

Hey Andrew,

That's encouraging. Last time I applied with a 23 MCAT. I applied to 2 osteopathic schools, and I applied to them late. I was inexperienced with the process and the money ran dry after I mailed off the Allopath apps.

For this application cycle I have the following under my belt that I did not have last time.

MCAT from 23 to the current 27
Completion of Organic Chemistry I and II
Completion of a B.S. in biology
Volunteer work with handicapped children
Volunteer work with "normal" children
Volunteer work with a handicapped adult.
(I had no volunteer experience last time)

While its not a plus per say, I've been accepted to a master's program for this fall, and I'm interviewing at a few more later this week.

The bottom line is that I want to be a doctor. As far as I'm concerned there is no difference between a D.O. and an M.D. I'd jump at the chance at either. I'm applying to the "easiest" MD schools in the country (I think) and a myriad of osteopathic schools. If one of them takes me I'll be happy.

Thanks for your input.
W.

[This message has been edited by WishUponAStar (edited 06-21-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Your new profile looks fair for MD schools and very good/excellent for DO schools. Find the money somehow and apply early to as many schools as you can. You'll get in somewhere. Stay positive and good luck.

Your improvements are great and should get you some interviews. However, if you will not have time to complete your master's degree before you matriculate in med school, they will probably not admit you. You must make it clear that you will finish your master's first, or you must plan not to do it if you are trying to start in 2001. Be clear about your plan so that they can make an informed decision. (And don't say you're going to do the master's if you don't get into med school!)

------------------
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams.

--Willy Wonka

Originally posted by DoctorK:
Your improvements are great and should get you some interviews. However, if you will not have time to complete your master's degree before you matriculate in med school, they will probably not admit you. You must make it clear that you will finish your master's first, or you must plan not to do it if you are trying to start in 2001. Be clear about your plan so that they can make an informed decision. (And don't say you're going to do the master's if you don't get into med school!)

I've been advised by multiple dean's of admissions from osteopathic medical schools. They all suggested I do a year of graduate school while I waited with my application. I asked them if they would think I was a "quitter" for not finishing and the answer I got was, "If you're leaving the Master's program it means you got into medical school. It doesn't mean you quit. You do want to go to medical school right? Why waste an extra year getting a master's?"

So I am going to go with their advice and matriculate in a master's while I apply.

Tanks,
W.