Give it to me straight....non-traditional student - I'll never give UP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwhites22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I've been relentlessly viewing forums to gain some insight, but everyone has their own story and different circumstances so I thought I would try to enlist some advice. Please know that while I am looking for constructive criticism (seeing that my past MCAT score was embarrassing enough to even type) I would appreciate it if you could kindly refrain from advice like maybe Med School is not for you or try a nursing specialty, etc. Because I am certain that Medical School is for me and I KNOW that I am capable of succeeding, I just need to get there.

Background: 28 Female, Registered Nurse working at a level 1 trauma ER in Detroit.
1st Bachelor's (Pre-med) began in 2005- GPA: 2.76
2009 MCAT: 16M (pathetic I know, but I was young and dumb for lack of a better term and didn't put in ANY effort)
^6 years later I am ready to tackle the new 2015 MCAT and have been preparing.
2nd Bachelor's (Nursing) just graduated in 2015 with GPA 3.85

I met with an advisor for a Med School that I am interested in and she said that unfortunately while its clear that I excelled academically recently my nursing GPA does not help me much. I was told a GPA of 20 post-bac credits in didactic science courses could be used to replace my undergraduate GPA. I have 10 post-bac credits completed with a 3.7 and of course plan to 4.0 the next 10. I was planning to take the MCAT this July 2015, but also have to complete 10 more credits (hoping to complete by August) so I was considering pushing my MCAT to September (because I do work full time as a nurse)

I am a different person now in terms of effort and diligence when it comes to studying. I have what I believe are strong ECs (research aide, community volunteer, honor society of nursing, scholarly achievement award) and was told by the advsior that clinical experience is highly valued at that school and makes me a little more competitive.

I was planning to apply for the 2016 year but will be applying later than what is considered a "good time" to apply due to still finishing up post-bac credits, not to mention I will be sitting late in the year for the MCAT. Do you think I am at too much of a disadvantage with my previous GPA and MCAT hiccups to even consider applying that late in the year?

Members don't see this ad.

put off the mcat until you've had sufficient time to study, and preferably after you've completed all or most of your credits. Don't rush it

Apply next year early when apps open up. Don't rush it.

Your previous gpa won't be overlooked but a lot of schools believe in reinvention and you have a good postbac gpa so far, so keep that up at a pace you're comfortable with. Don't rush it

Reactions: 5 users
Apply the next cycle if you have to. It's preferable to applying so late. If you take your MCAT in September you won't have a score until October. That's super late and puts you at a huge disadvantage. Waiting will until the next cycle to apply early can make a huge difference on the outcome. Don't feel rushed, it's not a race. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
...I met with an advisor for a Med School that I am interested in and she said that unfortunately while its clear that I excelled academically recently my nursing GPA does not help me much...

I spoke with an advisor for a med school I was interested as well. I had a low undergrad GPA as well, he told me not to waste my time applying until I was much higher GPA wise otherwise I would be throwing my money away because he had talked to people in my circumstance and saw "the writing on the wall." I thought he was being a bit over-dramatic so I ignored his advice. Notice my status is "Medical Student (accepted)."

Moral of the story is advisors can be good and bad, it seems that most of them are very very bad. I seriously doubt that having a gpa that low, and a GPA that high from your nursing degree wont help you that much.

Word to the wise though, make sure you prep like crazy for the MCAT. Knowing the material simply is not enough. You must be able to THINK about it. I recommend going through a prep company, it worked for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Get into Wayne State's biomed masters and kiss some serious fanny. See the postbac forum for more info.

as the above posters stated, do NOT rush, again do NOT rush. Get A's in your post bac coursed, if that means taking less at a time do so. Once you have A's and have completed all your course work THEN and only THEN prepare for the MCAT. You must nail it. Good luck.

Your nursing bachelors doesn't matter much in this case, and if it does it's going to be averaged with your first one for MD. Grade replacement for DO is your friend since MD will require you to spend years retaking classes, though the post bacc could really help.

You have lots of ducks to line up before you start thinking about the MCAT. I wouldn't even bother with it yet since it'll probably expire by the time you finish all the stuff you need to do to apply.

Rock the MCAT and you'll be fine.

Hi all! I've been relentlessly viewing forums to gain some insight, but everyone has their own story and different circumstances so I thought I would try to enlist some advice. Please know that while I am looking for constructive criticism (seeing that my past MCAT score was embarrassing enough to even type) I would appreciate it if you could kindly refrain from advice like maybe Med School is not for you or try a nursing specialty, etc. Because I am certain that Medical School is for me and I KNOW that I am capable of succeeding, I just need to get there.

Background: 28 Female, Registered Nurse working at a level 1 trauma ER in Detroit.
1st Bachelor's (Pre-med) began in 2005- GPA: 2.76
2009 MCAT: 16M (pathetic I know, but I was young and dumb for lack of a better term and didn't put in ANY effort)
^6 years later I am ready to tackle the new 2015 MCAT and have been preparing.
2nd Bachelor's (Nursing) just graduated in 2015 with GPA 3.85

I met with an advisor for a Med School that I am interested in and she said that unfortunately while its clear that I excelled academically recently my nursing GPA does not help me much. I was told a GPA of 20 post-bac credits in didactic science courses could be used to replace my undergraduate GPA. I have 10 post-bac credits completed with a 3.7 and of course plan to 4.0 the next 10. I was planning to take the MCAT this July 2015, but also have to complete 10 more credits (hoping to complete by August) so I was considering pushing my MCAT to September (because I do work full time as a nurse)

I am a different person now in terms of effort and diligence when it comes to studying. I have what I believe are strong ECs (research aide, community volunteer, honor society of nursing, scholarly achievement award) and was told by the advsior that clinical experience is highly valued at that school and makes me a little more competitive.

I was planning to apply for the 2016 year but will be applying later than what is considered a "good time" to apply due to still finishing up post-bac credits, not to mention I will be sitting late in the year for the MCAT. Do you think I am at too much of a disadvantage with my previous GPA and MCAT hiccups to even consider applying that late in the year?

Goro! I was hoping you would see my thread, I found your advice in other threads very helpful!
Rock the MCAT in addition to finishing the 10 post-bacc credits or just concentrate on the MCAT?

Your nursing bachelors doesn't matter much in this case, and if it does it's going to be averaged with your first one for MD. Grade replacement for DO is your friend since MD will require you to spend years retaking classes, though the post bacc could really help.

You have lots of ducks to line up before you start thinking about the MCAT. I wouldn't even bother with it yet since it'll probably expire by the time you finish all the stuff you need to do to apply.
Just curious- why won't the nursing bachelors matter much?

Because both gpas are averaged and together it's still a sub optimal gpa. Also unsure if prereqs were completed.

Op has a lot of work to do, but it's not impossible especially not for DO.

It's definitely good that the second bachelor's was higher gpa so that helps a lot. I also have no idea what the op is talking about re: 20 science credits replacing undergrad gpa.

I've never heard of that.

Last edited:
Because both gpas are averaged and together it's still a sub optimal gpa. Also unsure if prereqs were completed.

Op has a lot of work to do, but it's not impossible especially not for DO.

It's definitely good that the second bachelor's was higher gpa so that helps a lot. I also have no idea what the op is talking about re: 20 science credits replacing undergrad gpa.

I've never heard of that.

Hi ridethecliche...the 20 post bac credits is what I was told in a meeting this week with a Medical School advisor at Wayne State Univesity's MD program. I had never heard of it either but after coming home and browsing these posts, it seems that other people were told the same thing. It may be specific to that school, I am unsure.

Hi! I was told the nursing GPA "wouldn't help much" because they are mostly health science courses and not didactic science courses like your bio, chem, and physics.

Hi ridethecliche...the 20 post bac credits is what I was told in a meeting this week with a Medical School advisor at Wayne State Univesity's MD program. I had never heard of it either but after coming home and browsing these posts, it seems that other people were told the same thing. It may be specific to that school, I am unsure.

Exactly why I'd advise putting all your eggs in one basket is not a good idea.

Hi! I was told the nursing GPA "wouldn't help much" because they are mostly health science courses and not didactic science courses like your bio, chem, and physics.
Hey, I am in a similar situaiton. Finishing up BScN (Nursing) in Canada and I plan on taking pre reqs/additional classes after I finish fourth year. For sGPA purposes, do nursing classes count? We have course codes that start with NURS so I am wondering if they fall into sGPA or are just considered normal courses. Either way once I graduate I will have to complete physics, chem etc... I hope they weigh those courses more than nursing courses, as I find the curriculum at my school makes it very hard for anybody to get over a 90. (Pick the best, best answer is what our profs tell us:meh:, which I think can be open to interpretation) haha.

Hey, I am in a similar situaiton. Finishing up BScN (Nursing) in Canada and I plan on taking pre reqs/additional classes after I finish fourth year. For sGPA purposes, do nursing classes count? We have course codes that start with NURS so I am wondering if they fall into sGPA or are just considered normal courses. Either way once I graduate I will have to complete physics, chem etc... I hope they weigh those courses more than nursing courses, as I find the curriculum at my school makes it very hard for anybody to get over a 90. (Pick the best, best answer is what our profs tell us:meh:, which I think can be open to interpretation) haha.

To be honest I am unsure because I have received conflicting answers when I asked the same question about sGPA. All I know is I busted my ass taking 64 credits in 12months earning a 3.85 and I hope it's acknowledged somehow. And I thought the same thing through nursing school with the "best" answer policy. I'm excited to be done with the NCLEX and on to the mCAT!

To be honest I am unsure because I have received conflicting answers when I asked the same question about sGPA. All I know is I busted my ass taking 64 credits in 12months earning a 3.85 and I hope it's acknowledged somehow. And I thought the same thing through nursing school with the "best" answer policy. I'm excited to be done with the NCLEX and on to the mCAT!
I hear you. Cannot wait to finish this chapter and move on to hardcore pre-med business. May the force be with us.

I'd take a few more post bacc science courses (at least 20-30 credits total) to bump up that sGPA, show that you can handle hard science courses, and help prepare you for the MCAT. Then study hard and take the MCAT .

If you can continue getting good post bacc grades and get 30+ MCAT you should have a solid shot at Michigan MD schools.

Even If you end up with a 26+ MCAT you would still be competitive for DO schools such as MSUCOM.

I spoke with an advisor for a med school I was interested as well. I had a low undergrad GPA as well, he told me not to waste my time applying until I was much higher GPA wise otherwise I would be throwing my money away because he had talked to people in my circumstance and saw "the writing on the wall." I thought he was being a bit over-dramatic so I ignored his advice. Notice my status is "Medical Student (accepted)."

Moral of the story is advisors can be good and bad, it seems that most of them are very very bad. I seriously doubt that having a gpa that low, and a GPA that high from your nursing degree wont help you that much.

Word to the wise though, make sure you prep like crazy for the MCAT. Knowing the material simply is not enough. You must be able to THINK about it. I recommend going through a prep company, it worked for me.

This is fair, once my friend's advisors told her not even to apply to her top choice school because she had no chance and I told her to go for it and that is where she ended up going. Advisors can be very helpful, but I think only you know your priorities in terms of different constraints on your time or money or wellbeing