Give it to me straight.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Or Die
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year junior finishing up who plans to take the MCAT next may and apply for medical school next June. Unfortunately my GPA or my extra curricular's are that stellar, but it is my my dream to get into medical school and become a pediatrician. My overall gpa is 3.65 and my science GPA is 3.55, and I'm majoring in Econ. Due to having to support my wife and my son while paying my way through my undergrad I have had to work 35 hours a week over the last three years, this has definitely hindered my ability to create a great resume. Some of these items might not even be worth mentioning on my application but that is why I would really appreciate any and all advice/feedback that you might give me regarding my extra curricular's and also help me gauge what my chance's of being admitted to medical school?

Clinical Experience:
- I am scheduled to start volunteering at a hospice center within the next 2 weeks. I plan to spend about 5-7 hours a week there and do that until i apply in june.
- Shadowed an orthopedist for 15 hours and plan to get an additional 48 hours of shadowing an opthamologist and a pediatrician by the time i apply next june.

Research:
-started about a month ago in a research lab that studies the molecular mechanisms of angiogenesis in the cornea. I have put in about 100 hours already and will have accumulated about 500-600 hours by the time i apply.

Non-Medical Volunteering:
-coached little league football for the last 3 years, about 800-1000 hours of service over the 3 years
-coached 16-19 year old youth basketball team
-was a BOY scout leader for over 2 years
-was a youth leader in my church donated about 3 hours a week for 2 years

Leadership
-participated in a non-profit organization for organization and help plan and execute a few different fundraisers
-founded Minute Men Marketing,2 people worked for me. I only did for 6 months but because i decided i wanted to go to medical school i didn't have any more time.

Misc.,
-35 hours a week over the last 3 years working as an Inside Sales Agent

Members don't see this ad.

The success of your application will be determined by your MCAT score. Your GPA is a little on the low side but by no means destroying your possibility of acceptance. It looks like your ECs are at least equal to or better than the average applicant.

Again, I think it'll come down to how your MCAT goes.

The success of your application will be determined by your MCAT score. Your GPA is a little on the low side but by no means destroying your possibility of acceptance. It looks like your ECs are at least equal to or better than the average applicant.

Again, I think it'll come down to how your MCAT goes.

Great advice, Cerno. :love::love::love:

Hello all, my GPA is 2.7 and my MCAT score is a 37. what are my chances in an MD or DO school in the states?