GME result anticipation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobbyseal

Boat boy
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else anxious, excited, nervous, etc about GME results. I know they say they will be published on or before Dec 17, 2008, but I am curious as to what route my future will take.

Members don't see this ad.

Can't believe it's almost that time of the year.

Good luck to all and remember it is not the end of the world if you don't match. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
To play devil's advocate, and I do this every year. How does it feel to know that somebody already knows where you have or have not matched to, this just are not going to tell until Dec. 17th? I for one applied for a fellowship, so I feel the anticipation myself.

While I understand the frustation of waiting, there are a couple of things to understand. The slate isn't actually final until the Surgeon General signs off on it and there are frequently a number of changes that take place after the board and prior to the SG signing.

Your only waiting 2 weeks. You will likely survive. :D

While I understand the frustation of waiting, there are a couple of things to understand. The slate isn't actually final until the Surgeon General signs off on it and there are frequently a number of changes that take place after the board and prior to the SG signing.

Your only waiting 2 weeks. You will likely survive. :D

Once its posted, I'd be curious about your insight into the board this year. I'm hearing serious grumblings from the IM subspecialty side.

Once its posted, I'd be curious about your insight into the board this year. I'm hearing serious grumblings from the IM subspecialty side.

I thought the board was some super-secret, I'd-tell-you-but-I'd-have-to-kill-you smoke and mirrors.

Does the SG actually pencil in changes to the match results? What types of changes take place?

I remember when it was my time to wait for the chop list. I was so nervous probably more nervous about the selection board than actual match day. The day came I matched where I wanted and things have been good since. Good luck to all.:laugh:

I thought the board was some super-secret, I'd-tell-you-but-I'd-have-to-kill-you smoke and mirrors.

Specifics yes. Generalities, precept and policies no.

To discuss why resident A was chosen over resident B and how you specifically felt about it would be wrong. But to say operational experience does not always take precedence over academic achievement is OK.

The responsibility of any selection board is to pick the best qualified. What is best qualified and what is to be selected is defined by the precept. These are the rules. In reality, there must be some transparency in boards. When they become too murky and seemingly arbitrary there is a breakdown in faith that they are acting with the best interest of the organization, the individuals, and are unfair.

The responsibility of any selection board is to pick the best qualified. What is best qualified and what is to be selected is defined by the precept. These are the rules. In reality, there must be some transparency in boards. When they become too murky and seemingly arbitrary there is a breakdown in faith that they are acting with the best interest of the organization, the individuals, and are unfair.

Isn't that what you described above? You said changes take place after the board makes their selections and the SG can change the results.

Members don't see this ad :)
In reality, there must be some transparency in boards. When they become too murky and seemingly arbitrary there is a breakdown in faith that they are acting with the best interest of the organization, the individuals, and are unfair.

I think they have swung too far to the opaque side recently. At least in my personal experience.

Did what NavyFP said concern anyone else? It looked like he said the selection board results are subjected to a political process that changes the results after the board concludes its delegations.

Did what NavyFP said concern anyone else? It looked like he said the selection board results are subjected to a political process that changes the results after the board concludes its delegations.

No, he said that this selection board functions like every other military selection board. The board makes recommendations to the leadership, which are then reviewed for fairness, evidence of bias against a particular person or group and similar factors. The ultimate responsibility rests with the Surgeon General. If you were Surgeon General, wouldn't you demand to review the results, since you'll be the one accountable if its later determined that someone was treated unfairly?

You seem to go through every post looking for an opportunity to muckrake. I'm no cheerleader but give it a rest already.

My concern with this board is how the Navy is going to spread the pain as far as the shortfall goes. I've heard that FP will get its full complement and, to me, that means IM probably will suffer. I'll admit to being parochial, but that has me very curious to see how the numbers play out. I really have no dog in this fight (I guess thats not an appropriate phrase in the post Michael Vick era) because I'm long past ever applying for anything but I'm definitely curious.

BTW, Navy FP, do you ever sleep? You're always posting after I've gone to bed and I thought you were out here on the East Coast.

No, he said that this selection board functions like every other military selection board. The board makes recommendations to the leadership, which are then reviewed for fairness, evidence of bias against a particular person or group and similar factors. The ultimate responsibility rests with the Surgeon General. If you were Surgeon General, wouldn't you demand to review the results, since you'll be the one accountable if its later determined that someone was treated unfairly?

I would still like to know what was meant by frequent "changes that take place after the board". I always thought the GME selection board process was sacrosanct similar to the NRMP match or a promotion board. Can senior leadership undo a promotion or give someone a promotion who wasn't recommended by the board?

If I was Surgeon General, I would want to review the results however I would not change them. I would not want to interfere with the selection process in any way similar to the way the NRMP match is conducted.

I would still like to know what was meant by frequent "changes that take place after the board". I always thought the GME selection board process was sacrosanct similar to the NRMP match or a promotion board. Can senior leadership undo a promotion or give someone a promotion who wasn't recommended by the board?

Absolutely. For promotion boards, that can happen at a number of levels (the last being the Senate).

I would not want to interfere with the selection process in any way similar to the way the NRMP match is conducted.

That's where it your mistaken. In the NRMP, if the candidate ranks the program #1 and the Program ranks the candidate #1 they will match there. In the JSGMESB it doesn't matter. Some AF or Army person can override that decision and send the candidate out to GMO land where they will be stuck as the only one of three providers that sees patients on a ship with 1050 people. All because of the way the board works.

All right, my personal bias is clear and obvious to everyone here.

Plus the board isn't a cohesive group, there are numerous small groups making decisions and they can therefore apply the precept differently and no always equitably. Its appropriate to have oversight. The board makes recommendations to the convening authority, no more no less. I have no idea how much it changes after the board (I bet its very very little).

I think they do a good job with what they have.

Kind of nervous about wednesday because I have not invested any time or money in the civilian match, so if I get civilian deferred, I will be mega scrambling to get some interviews. good luck to all.

Uh, yeah... I'm still nervous.

Thanks to all for helping me with the "group therapy"

Teh good news is that you'll all ahve to endure this again for the PGY2 match. And then again later when trying to return from GMO (if applicable).

M minus 38.5 hours and counting...

Release time changed to 0600 EST.

Revised: M minus 18.3 hours and counting...

Teh good news is that you'll all ahve to endure this again for the PGY2 match. And then again later when trying to return from GMO (if applicable).

Jeebus, I certainly hope not.

Internship, residency, fellowship. More nervous each time (of course, IM was noncompetive, GI was competitive). Good luck gang.

I've got to say that my most nerve-wracking one to date was MS4. Once I got a categorical internship spot (peds was competitive that year) I knew I could do what I loved. This whole GMO thing is just a major pain in the hind quarters.

Best wishes on good news to all those waiting. Hope to hear sighs of relief and the sounds of beer bottles being opened.

yeah... hopefully that 0605 beer will be in order....

For Navy, don't count on in coming out before lunchtime on the East Coast.

From the Navy GME site:

The 2008 Joint Service GME Selection Board will be held after Thanksgiving, which this year is Monday, 1 December through Friday, 5 December 2008. We anticipate the selection results to be available on this web site sometime on or around the 17th of December.

Thank you, Navy GME

:laugh:

I don't know what it is, but I'm just not too excited over this whole thing. I want to do EM and am in the Navy, soooo, getting excited over hearing whether I got transitional or IM for internship is just not that exciting. Maybe this time next year, when the GME2 results are announced...

Anyone else feel like this?

I don't know what it is, but I'm just not too excited over this whole thing. I want to do EM and am in the Navy, soooo, getting excited over hearing whether I got transitional or IM for internship is just not that exciting. Maybe this time next year, when the GME2 results are announced...

Anyone else feel like this?

Next year will be very relaxed for you...all you have to worry about is which type of GMO you will be selected for. Makes the application process much easier :D

Next year will be very relaxed for you...all you have to worry about is which type of GMO you will be selected for. Makes the application process much easier :D

There was one (first ever) person selected to go straight to EM at NMCSD.

Watch, now every single HPSP student have that as their plan.

There was one (first ever) person selected to go straight to EM at NMCSD.

Watch, now every single HPSP student have that as their plan.

Same thing at Portsmouth. Took their first ever straight through this year. Sooo, of course that is my plan! I feel sorry for everyone else :laugh:

Seriously, I know the drill. I'm fully prepared to do the GMO thing. I'm kinda hoping to get stashed so I can go on several months of cool training and/or boondoggles

And again in the last year of your residency, when you're waiting to hear which staff billet you'll get. I have to wait until tomorrow after the GMESB results are out until they'll tell me where I'll go after residency.

And here I thought I was done with the anxiously waiting for the residency selection results. :)

Ok so the Army folks apparently got an e-mail saying it's 6:00 AM... I'm Navy, why didn't we get that?
Not to bitch - I mean I'm not going to sleep tonight and I'll be having a beer with a mylanta chaser anyway - but still. A heads up woulda been cool! :cool:

Ok so the Army folks apparently got an e-mail saying it's 6:00 AM... I'm Navy, why didn't we get that?
Not to bitch - I mean I'm not going to sleep tonight and I'll be having a beer with a mylanta chaser anyway - but still. A heads up woulda been cool! :cool:

Again, don't expect it to be out at 0600. I've seen it as late as 1300.

Fair enough - saves me a west coast 3 am wake-up at least! Have a great evenin!

So I guess the 6 AM time wasn't quite on the ball. For those in the AF, did anyone get an email or are you looking at the Air Force Medicine website for results? Good luck everyone.

So I guess the 6 AM time wasn't quite on the ball. For those in the AF, did anyone get an email or are you looking at the Air Force Medicine website for results? Good luck everyone.

It was correct for the Army. Match results up on MODS now, and I must say, if I'm reading this correctly...SWEET!

WooHoo....first neurotic poster.:laugh: 0600 was accurate. Gas at BAMC, here I come.

Crap!....Damn you Psychbender.....stealing my thunder

Last edited:
Please post the results here!