Annual Match Report/Statistics for Navy GME Anywhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LTMCUSN

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there is no ”Charting Outcomes“ report for the military match like there is with the NMRP, but is there any record of placement percentage into residency vs GMO in the Navy at least? Would be interested to see what percentage of applicants are going straight through residency vs. GMO tours after their internships, by specialty.

The only thing I’ve found is the BUMEDNOTE 1524 that shows the number of GME opportunities across specialties and deferment opportunities.

Members don't see this ad.

I know there is no ”Charting Outcomes“ report for the military match like there is with the NMRP, but is there any record of placement percentage into residency vs GMO in the Navy at least? Would be interested to see what percentage of applicants are going straight through residency vs. GMO tours after their internships, by specialty.

The only thing I’ve found is the BUMEDNOTE 1524 that shows the number of GME opportunities across specialties and deferment opportunities.

There’s no official publication that gives you this info, but many of us here can give you a pretty good approximation if you want a particular specialty.

For example: ENT is now essentially 100%, EM is around 50%, Derm/Ophtho: 0%

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 users
There’s no official publication that gives you this info, but many of us here can give you a pretty good approximation if you want a particular specialty.

Do you happen to know what it looks like for IM going straight through in the Navy?

Members don't see this ad :)

Do you have an idea of GS? Curious whether the fact that its undermanned in the fleet means more can go straight to residency vs. a GMO tour

Do you happen to know what it looks like for IM going straight through in the Navy?

IM is probably around 40% on average at first and probably goes up a bit by the time alternates start getting picked up. I’d venture as high as 50-60%, but that may be slightly high.

Do you have an idea of GS? Curious whether the fact that its undermanned in the fleet means more can go straight to residency vs. a GMO tour

GS is actually lower than I would think and it probably has to do with how many are already out in the fleet waiting to come back. They are however one of the ones that sometimes ends up with people going direct from a military internship to a deferred/out service civilian residency. I’d put it around 30-40% or so.

Reactions: 1 user

Hi, I was wondering if you had an estimate percentage of chances at matching IM or EM after doing a 2 year GMO tour?
Thanks in advance!

Hi, I was wondering if you had an estimate percentage of chances at matching IM or EM after doing a 2 year GMO tour?
Thanks in advance!

IM probably approaches 100% in that scenario right now (no guarantees that won’t change though). EM is probably a little tougher to guesstimate: they take about 50% straight through leaving about half the billets to returning GMOs. If you did an EM internship you probably have a very high likelihood of matching on 1st attempt. If you did something else it’s probably going to depend on how many prior EM interns are in the pool, and if you have some red flags and didn’t do EM internship your chances are probably not all that great unless you have overcome it with great EM Standard Letters of Rec.

Reactions: 2 users
I noticed in the last year or two (might be longer but that’s when I started looking) that ENT seems to be going to a straight through model. Do you think that is going to stick around for a while?

Yes, they paused taking any interns for a few years in order to get all “their” GMOs back into residency so they could better shift to a straight through model without effecting people who had already done an ENT internship. I think you are likely to see a lower number of interns, but those who are will likely go straight through.

Similar caveat though: everything is a bit up in the air and things could change.

Yes, they paused taking any interns for a few years in order to get all “their” GMOs back into residency so they could better shift to a straight through model without effecting people who had already done an ENT internship. I think you are likely to see a lower number of interns, but those who are will likely go straight through.

Similar caveat though: everything is a bit up in the air and things could change.

I wonder if that is just part of the supposed move away from GMOs that has been talked about for years, or if ENT as a specialty just thought it was better to keep their people in training instead of having them take a 2-year break and lose all the skills they built up.

I wonder if that is just part of the supposed move away from GMOs that has been talked about for years, or if ENT as a specialty just thought it was better to keep their people in training instead of having them take a 2-year break and lose all the skills they built up.

Has to do with board and RRC requirements much more than the current non-existent push to move away from GMOs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any of you know roughly how competitive OB/Gyn typically is in the Navy?

If I'm reading BUMED 1524 right it looks like 40-50% of Family Med Interns go straight through (18/41). Is that a correct reading?

I left active duty a while ago, but historically FP, IM, OB, stand high chance of going straight thru for Navy GME2+

I had some questions that I was hoping someone could provide some thoughts on:

How easy is it for an IM intern who trained at one MTF to be selected for an IM PGY2 position at another MTF after doing a GMO tour?

Let's say that same IM intern decides to finish training in FM after their GMO tour - are FM programs interested in that intern even though they did an IM internship instead of FM internship?

Does CoLi/mil-mil marriage play a role in PGY2 GME selection?

I had some questions that I was hoping someone could provide some thoughts on:

How easy is it for an IM intern who trained at one MTF to be selected for an IM PGY2 position at another MTF after doing a GMO tour?

Fairly easy, but geography will likely play a slight role. If you are on the West Coast for GMO probably slightly more chance to match on west coast, etc.

Let's say that same IM intern decides to finish training in FM after their GMO tour - are FM programs interested in that intern even though they did an IM internship instead of FM internship?

Not as easy, but can be done. Would have to repeat much of intern year due to OB needs.

Does CoLi/mil-mil marriage play a role in PGY2 GME selection?

Colocation for a military spouse is about near the top when deciding where someone will go, as long as they match. If it’s not a military spouse then technically there is no preference given, but it’s still worth mentioning if there are compelling reasons.

Fairly easy, but geography will likely play a slight role. If you are on the West Coast for GMO probably slightly more chance to match on west coast, etc.

Not as easy, but can be done. Would have to repeat much of intern year due to OB needs.

Colocation for a military spouse is about near the top when deciding where someone will go, as long as they match. If it’s not a military spouse then technically there is no preference given, but it’s still worth mentioning if there are compelling reasons.

Great, thank you so much! Also, I noticed there are quite a few more IM interns than there are PGY2's. Do all the interns who want to come back to IM make it back? In all honestly I have crappy board scores and probably just scraped by in the intern match, I'm hoping a GMO tour will give me enough points to come back to my preferred location, but I can't really seem to find info on how much a GMO tour helps a candidate with supbar board scores.

Great, thank you so much! Also, I noticed there are quite a few more IM interns than there are PGY2's. Do all the interns who want to come back to IM make it back? In all honestly I have crappy board scores and probably just scraped by in the intern match, I'm hoping a GMO tour will give me enough points to come back to my preferred location, but I can't really seem to find info on how much a GMO tour helps a candidate with supbar board scores.

If you want IM in the military and matched to internship you will almost certainly match back to IM, either straight thru or after a GMO tour.

Your reputation you earn during internship is going to be more of a factor than any board scores or any medical school work by the time you re-apply.

When I was in San Diego in December a few of the IM interns told me they were sitting about 50% going straight through and 50% going to GMO but a somewhat decent portion of those going GMO did so by choice.
Do any of you know roughly how competitive OB/Gyn typically is in the Navy?
I don't have any numbers for the Navy but here's the Army info for ballpark figures: GME Slideshow
It seemed like a bad year for the OBGYN interns in San Diego though cause all of them but one got word they were going GMO after internship. Only 2 PGY2s, the one going through and one guy coming back from the fleet.

Note sure how accurate the FM numbers are if you want to go straight through.. when I was at Lejeune last summer almost 2/3 of the intern class were wanting to go GMO for various reasons. A lot of them wanted peds but that didn't workout b/c Navy and planned to just GMO out.

Reactions: 1 users
When I was in San Diego in December a few of the IM interns told me they were sitting about 50% going straight through and 50% going to GMO but a somewhat decent portion of those going GMO did so by choice.

I don't have any numbers for the Navy but here's the Army info for ballpark figures: GME Slideshow
It seemed like a bad year for the OBGYN interns in San Diego though cause all of them but one got word they were going GMO after internship. Only 2 PGY2s, the one going through and one guy coming back from the fleet.

Note sure how accurate the FM numbers are if you want to go straight through.. when I was at Lejeune last summer almost 2/3 of the intern class were wanting to go GMO for various reasons. A lot of them wanted peds but that didn't workout b/c Navy and planned to just GMO out.

I have an acquaintance who is a psych resident at Walter Reed and she said psych is basically straight through by default. Apparently like 80% of the interns don’t even apply for pgy2 because it’s in their contract when they march into pgy1, and for the other 20% it’s just a formality to apply.

I have an acquaintance who is a psych resident at Walter Reed and she said psych is basically straight through by default. Apparently like 80% of the interns don’t even apply for pgy2 because it’s in their contract when they march into pgy1, and for the other 20% it’s just a formality to apply.
That's pretty wonderful. I still want to like pysch sooo bad, the residents I worked with on pysch (Belvoir) looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned "Check back in on x patient after 1630". They were like "yeah, so about that....". I kid you not, the resident covering nights once asked the attendings if they could do morning turnover at 7:25 instead of 7:30 and they almost revolted.
Not to mention they have a 6 year retention bonus higher than pulm/crit care (Defense Finance and Accounting Service > MilitaryMembers > payentitlements > Pay Tables > HPO4)

• Haha
That's pretty wonderful. I still want to like pysch sooo bad, the residents I worked with on pysch (Belvoir) looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned "Check back in on x patient after 1630". They were like "yeah, so about that....". I kid you not, the resident covering nights once asked the attendings if they could do morning turnover at 7:25 instead of 7:30 and they almost revolted.
Not to mention they have a 6 year retention bonus higher than pulm/crit care (Defense Finance and Accounting Service > MilitaryMembers > payentitlements > Pay Tables > HPO4)

I really liked my neuro/psych block so I’m hoping I end up loving the psych rotation. It’s my second clerkship, and I’m doing it at fort belvoir haha.

I really liked my neuro/psych block so I’m hoping I end up loving the psych rotation. It’s my second clerkship, and I’m doing it at fort belvoir haha.
Oh man, you're gonna be in for one heck of a time if it's anything like mine. When I was there we did 2.5 weeks adolescent inpatient psych and 2.5 weeks inpatient addiction unit. The former was like being in the Shining. The later was just interesting and actually pretty rewarding. Although I did have a lot of conversations go something like...
Me: "Morning LCpl, I see your first name is Dave, can I call you Dave?"
Pt: "Sure sir"
Me: "Well Dave I can't help but notice you're 38 and still at E3"
Pt: "Well sir I was SSgt but they bumped me down once for cocaine, once for Marijuana, and once for taking a trip to (insert state a lot more than 250 miles away)"
Me: .....
Pt: "Also this is my 3rd time in this program"

Oh man, you're gonna be in for one heck of a time if it's anything like mine. When I was there we did 2.5 weeks adolescent inpatient psych and 2.5 weeks inpatient addiction unit. The former was like being in the Shining. The later was just interesting and actually pretty rewarding. Although I did have a lot of conversations go something like...
Me: "Morning LCpl, I see your first name is Dave, can I call you Dave?"
Pt: "Sure sir"
Me: "Well Dave I can't help but notice you're 38 and still at E3"
Pt: "Well sir I was SSgt but they bumped me down once for cocaine, once for Marijuana, and once for taking a trip to (insert state a lot more than 250 miles away)"
Me: .....
Pt: "Also this is my 3rd time in this program"

Oh man haha. Can’t wait. My first block is inpatient IM at SAMMC. Hitting the ground running I guess. At least it’ll be warm there in January. Nice break from the cold.

Oh man haha. Can’t wait. My first block is inpatient IM at SAMMC. Hitting the ground running I guess. At least it’ll be warm there in January. Nice break from the cold.
Huh, that was my first block too. It was an awesome place to do IM, the residents are great and the attendings love to teach. Probably my overall favorite hospital and the cafeteria was flawless. Rib day and shrimp n grits day (sub $5) were my favorite. Would highly consider doing residency there if it was an option. And actually on an evey so slightly thread related topic, they do have at least 2 Navy residents there. They are married and couple matched; for one reason or another SAMMC was the only place they could said respective residencies and be together. So the board decided to make a few spots blue.

San Antonio pro tip: World class bbq/brisket but you've gotta go Fri-Sun, it's just not the same on the weekdays.

Huh, that was my first block too. It was an awesome place to do IM, the residents are great and the attendings love to teach. Probably my overall favorite hospital and the cafeteria was flawless. Rib day and shrimp n grits day (sub $5) were my favorite. Would highly consider doing residency there if it was an option. And actually on an evey so slightly thread related topic, they do have at least 2 Navy residents there. They are married and couple matched; for one reason or another SAMMC was the only place they could said respective residencies and be together. So the board decided to make a few spots blue.

San Antonio pro tip: World class bbq/brisket but you've gotta go Fri-Sun, it's just not the same on the weekdays.

Awesome all around. And yeah, I used to live near Austin and have been to San Antonio a couple times. Can not WAIT for some bbq.