GME slide show

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saltwire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The new GME slideshow was just posted on MODS. Looks like stuff got pretty competitive this year. Anyone know as far as numbers how many scholarships there are this year compared to next year?

Members don't see this ad.

the ortho ratio was a bit surprising to me

Members don't see this ad :)
There were 21 spots in ortho available this year compared to 19 in previous years. A total of 32 people applied, 21 MS4s and 11 TY. I know of at least 2 MS4s who didn't match and were given civilian deferments.

and EM was super competitive!! that's crazy!! haha

EM was ridiculous this year. One thing I noticed was the mean USMLE step 1 and 2 for surgical sub specialties and derm. There are some crazy smart people in my year

It is interesting to note that attendings have slight advantage over residents (64% vs 52%) when it comes to fellowship selection.

The point system used for selection is set up that way. Attending a have a higher possible points total than a resident.

The point system used for selection is set up that way. Attending a have a higher possible points total than a resident.

I thought that fellowship selection for attendings would be in the range of 80-90% since total points for attendings are higher than residents.

It is interesting to note that attendings have slight advantage over residents (64% vs 52%) when it comes to fellowship selection.

That line would include GMOs applying for residency and attendings applying for fellowship. Totally useless mixed data.

Staff have an almost insurmountable advantage in the fellowship application process. We'd rather take a mediocre to bad attending with no obligation who is going to get out right after paying back fellowship than the best resident in the graduating IM classes. The Mediocracy at work.

One issue that reduces the number of staff selected for fellowship is that in today's budget issues they (at least Navy) will only select you when you are due for PCS orders

One issue that reduces the number of staff selected for fellowship is that in today's budget issues they (at least Navy) will only select you when you are due for PCS orders

This may have changed but it used to be subtlety different. You were required to complete minimum activity, which was usually shorter than the interval to pcs orders.

This may have changed but it used to be subtlety different. You were required to complete minimum activity, which was usually shorter than the interval to pcs orders.

Actually that's a very important subtlety and I can't say with 100% voracity which is true. Good point!

Members don't see this ad :)
Staff have an almost insurmountable advantage in the fellowship application process. We'd rather take a mediocre to bad attending with no obligation who is going to get out right after paying back fellowship than the best resident in the graduating IM classes. The Mediocracy at work.

But the insurmountable advantage that attendings have over graduating residents is all that allows primary care/hospitalist to remian a viable career track in the military: all the new attendings take their one tour at the crappy posts before getting to apply for fellowship, and in turn career primary care has a real chance to work at desirable commands later in their career because they know the new guys will be the ones doing the jobs in less than ideal locations. If the Navy didn't give that advantage everyone with anything like a decent CV would rush to fellowship so that they could attach themselves to larger, more desirable commands immediately, and the leftovers in primary care would get stuck shuffling from the scorching desert sun to the article circle and back again until they could ETS.

Has anything similar to this presentation been published for either the Navy or AF?

Anyone know relative sizes of the classes from current year graduating to next year?

I asked this question directly of the Navy GME people in December - they replied "they have the info but choose not to release it..."

Is there a specific specialty you want to know about?

Would you have the info for internal medicine?
Although personally interested in EM... :D

Navy of course...

Since when did EM become so competitive???? ENT is 0.83 and EM is double...

Last edited:
Would you have the info for internal medicine?
Although personally interested in EM... :D

Navy of course...

Since when did EM become so competitive???? ENT is 0.83 and EM is double...

Not the specific numbers but a gestalt. IM is only competitive in SD.

EM has always been a little more competitive in the navy. If you think about it, the sort of people who join the military are also the sort that are attracted to EM.

The numbers for Army ENT probably reflect a different phenomenon. Our population is small enough that there can be enormous variation year to year. ENT is self selected too and there is no guarantee they would take a subpar applicant rather than go unfilled (the ratio only tells part of the story).

I was under the impression that they "over-recruited" (as in more students than residency spots) for all the classes that got the signing bonus. Someone told me they did this on purpose due to years prior not recruiting enough... I don't know about all that, but my class (current MS4) supposedly wound up with around 50 Navy HPSP students getting deferments.
The competitiveness of a lot of specialties will vary year to year because milmed is relatively small. For my chosen specialty there were supposedly originally 20 applying for 10 spots, then they cut a spot, then 5 people changed their minds, and in the end I think only 2 or 3 people matched in a different specialty because they wound up giving some deferments (which, of course, they originally said they wouldn't... luckily both of these people had been hoping for a deferment and applied to the civilian match despite being told it was a lost cause). You can get a decent amount of information from the program coordinators when you rotate 4th year, but don't count out any possibilities until you match.
Please do yourself a favor, if you are from one of the classes that got the bonus, and apply to the civilian match. I have heard at least one horror story every year of someone who didn't want a deferment but got one anyway, then had to scramble/SOAP because the military match happens well after the deadline for most civilian applications.

I was under the impression that they "over-recruited" (as in more students than residency spots) for all the classes that got the signing bonus. Someone told me they did this on purpose due to years prior not recruiting enough... I don't know about all that, but my class (current MS4) supposedly wound up with around 50 Navy HPSP students getting deferments.
The competitiveness of a lot of specialties will vary year to year because milmed is relatively small. For my chosen specialty there were supposedly originally 20 applying for 10 spots, then they cut a spot, then 5 people changed their minds, and in the end I think only 2 or 3 people matched in a different specialty because they wound up giving some deferments (which, of course, they originally said they wouldn't... luckily both of these people had been hoping for a deferment and applied to the civilian match despite being told it was a lost cause). You can get a decent amount of information from the program coordinators when you rotate 4th year, but don't count out any possibilities until you match.
Please do yourself a favor, if you are from one of the classes that got the bonus, and apply to the civilian match. I have heard at least one horror story every year of someone who didn't want a deferment but got one anyway, then had to scramble/SOAP because the military match happens well after the deadline for most civilian applications.

This is really good advice. I noticed during rotations many hpsp interviewees having a lot of anxiety about deferment (if they were actively pursuing a military residency).

This last match I counted about 330 students for about 275 slots.

though it says about 260 slots here ==>
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/gme/Pages/NavyInserviceGME-1programsandPositions.aspx
for GME-1.

83% match inservice?

Last edited: