Godly Resume For Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You forgot:

-Foundress of the missionaries of charity
-Olympic gold medalist
-Astronaut
-Found Osama Bin Laden
-Made millions in stock market
-Batman

The bolded trumps all Extracurricular Activities.

Members don't see this ad.

There are also a lot of people with 3.5/30 who dont get in either though.
According to the relatively recent data in the WAMC subforum, ~48% of white (read: non-URM) applicants with that stat line get into MD programs. That's 1 out of 2. Like seriously, is that not a decent statistic, especially considering we all know many of the rejectees probably had little/no ECs and/or applied late/poorly?

I wouldn't mind the competitiveness to tone down some, but we can't just expect to be handed spots in a great lifelong career.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
According to the relatively recent data in the WAMC subforum, ~48% of white (read: non-URM) applicants get into MD programs. That's 1 out of 2. Like seriously, is that not a decent statistic, especially considering we all know many of the rejectees probably had little/no ECs and/or applied late/poorly?

I wouldn't mind the competitiveness to tone down some, but we can't just expect to be handed spots in a great lifelong career.

Its an OK chance I would say. Not bad, but still 1 out of 2 are not getting in. 52 percent not getting is still quite a bit "that do not get in with a 3.5/30". Asian applicants have it even worse.

Also at that point, I dont think anyone who gets accepted with a 3.5/30 MCAT is really getting a spot "handed" to them per se. I know for SDN a 30 is a bad score, but in the general scheme of real life, a 30 is considered pretty impressive. Also a 3.5 is a pretty decent GPA, UNLESS its from a community college :laugh:

Just my humble opinion :)

Also at that point, I dont think anyone who gets accepted with a 3.5/30 MCAT is really getting a spot "handed" to them per say.
I agree, a 3.5/30 is not that bad. But it's not that great either. Let's face it: at most colleges, 3.5 is not that high of a GPA. Hence why 1 out of every 2 applicants with this stat will get in. 50% acceptance rate means you are competitive! What more could you want? A 95% success rate for 3.5/30? A 3.5 student should not be a lock for acceptance.

I mean, think back to high school. Would you want to go to a college that accepted 95% of its applicants? For a profession as well compensated/regarded/protected as medicine, there most definitely need to be stringent standards on who gets in.

Maybe a bit laxer would be nice, but lowering standards is not a good alternative to current hyper competitveness

Last edited:
I agree, a 3.5/30 is not that bad. But it's not that great either. Let's face it: at most colleges, 3.5 is not that high of a GPA. Hence why 1 out of every 2 applicants with this stat will get in. 50% acceptance rate means you are competitive! What more could you want? A 95% success rate for 3.5/30? A 3.5 student should not be a lock for acceptance.

So, but my original point was that a lot of people with those stats do not get in. You admit its not great either. 50 percent of people not getting in is quite a bit. Its not about what I want or what I think should be a lock for acceptance but rather what the hard facts say. Someone with a 3.5/30 is kinda shaky, and its pretty much hit or miss with a 50/50 shot.

So, but my original point was that a lot of people with those stats do not get in. You admit its not great either. 50 percent of people not getting in is quite a bit. Its not about what I want or what I think should be a lock for acceptance but rather what the hard facts say. Someone with a 3.5/30 is kinda shaky, and its pretty much hit or miss with a 50/50 shot.
I was referring to the fact that a GPA of 3.5 does not indicate great academic success.

We clearly differ on how we interpret a 50/50 shot. I think it's more than fair, for an applicant indicating average stats and UG achievement. To each his own.