Going Abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did You or Do You INTEND to Study Abroad?

• Yes, for one semester.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Yes, for two semesters.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Yes, for more than two semesters.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Yes, during the summer.

• No, but I did/will do volunteer work/research work/other activities abroad.

• No, but I did/will do research programs/other programs in different states.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • No, but I went/will go abroad after undergrad.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • No, I have never been abroad.

Votes: 8 17.4%

• Total voters

Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you study abroad at all in your years as an undergrad? I am well aware that studying abroad probably looks great on med school applications and is a very fun and exciting experience! However, it unfortunately may not work out for me with scheduling and housing issues. :( So anyway, feel free to share your experiences--I'm just curious! :p

And for those of you who studied abroad in the summer, how do you AFFORD it?!

EDIT: If you studied abroad during the summer and/or for a semester AND participated in other research programs/etc, please include that in your comments! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I volunteered abroad (not through school) during the summer before my 3rd year of undergrad.
The program I was in gave ideas on how to fund it, including selling raffle tickets to a raffle they held with pretty cool prizes.
I also advertised at my church for donations and got donations from family members. I did put in a bit of money of my own. I wrote down everyone who donated, and made sure I brought back gifts as a thank you - nothing big or expensive, just little things that were native to the country (cloth, trinkets, tea, etc).

Going abroad is a great experience and I hope you get to go! :)

I highly recommend it--almost at any cost. As a future med student, you owe it to yourself to take advantage of opportunities to travel during your 20s. I had the time of my life in Spain and have great stories to recount during interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I studied abroad for a semester, then worked abroad for 1.5years after I graduated.

I recently finished a 10 week study abroad (quarter system) with my college's sister school in Croatia. A lot of our time was spent shadowing Croatian doctors, observing operations, and touring hospitals. Croatia still has fairly decent weather around this time of the year as well. The experience was great overall.

If you have the chance to do a study abroad, go for it- so long as you think you can have fun and bring something out of the trip. I'm a German language minor. Barely anyone speaks German well enough to hold a conversation in my home-city. One of the biggest draws the Croatian study abroad had for me, besides the medical exposure, was being able to practice my German in everyday settings (almost everyone there speaks it).

I was lucky to have been far enough ahead in my pre-reqs to take electives while I was on the study abroad. From what I have read, the course factor can be rough for semester-based folks.

I studied abroad for a year in college. I was in London and was able to get a bunch of my science requirements done there. It was one of the best years of my life. I had a lot of fun, made friends, and experienced London like a Londoner. I also had the chance to travel.

It was a great topic of conversation for both medical school and residency interviews. However, don't do it for that. Do it for the experience in itself. (I actually didn't even know I'd be going into med school when I was in London -- didn't decide that until my sr year.)

Awesome! It seems as though everyone who does end up going abroad LOVES the experience, which I find hopeful. :D

In terms of summer funding, I'll have to see what options my universtiy offers. Unfortunately my parents will not pay for the summer abroad...I'm already spending all of their money on college stuff. :(

Ashers, I'm actually dying to go to London. Would you mind PMing me a more detailed account of your two semesters abroad? I'd really love to know how you managed to get your science requirements done while abroad--especially since we have so many lab requirements we have to take care of!

Definitely plan on studying abroad, but I'm still deciding where.. Either Spain or France. Suggestions?

I'm definitely planning on studying abroad, but I don't know what I want to do/when I want to do it yet. I really wanted to do a health program in Belize, but it's only for one week and costs as much as a semester abroad in Manchester, England for a sociology program (my major) so I'm leaning toward the semester in England (just don't know if I should study/take MCAT in the fall, study abroad winter or vice versa).

Did you study abroad at all in your years as an undergrad? I am well aware that studying abroad probably looks great on med school applications and is a very fun and exciting experience! However, it unfortunately may not work out for me with scheduling and housing issues. :( :)

I think it's silly that people come up with all these excuses for why they can't study abroad, when all those problems can be fixed. If you are not married with children then you MUST study abroad (I would argue that even married you should still go) I studied in Spain for half a year and it was one of the best experiences of my life. Money should not be an issue because if you can't afford it then financial aid will. (that's what i did). There were some people who took out loans to go abroad, while others slaved away at a bad job just to pay for it on their own.

what do you mean scheduling issues? Make a plan and include studying abroad in them. If i could go as a science major with minors then you have no excuse. in fact i was surprised that most people who were abroad were biology majors who just stopped making excuses and did it.

and for housing i don't know what your situation is but near my school i was able to sub-lease for the half of year that i was away, and since i lived near school it was no big deal.

and the worst excuse that i have heard is "i will miss my boyfriend too much" from someone who broke up with said boyfriend 8 months later.

This is life live it!!!

Definitely plan on studying abroad, but I'm still deciding where.. Either Spain or France. Suggestions?

I say go to Spain, but that's my biased opinion, Spain has an amazing culture, relaxed lifestyle (siesta anybody?), and such historical significance (more museums and churches than you can visit), great beaches, great food, and the greatest nightlife ever (it is seriously crazy staying up till 7am is normal) , not to mention that learning Spanish will be great for your future as a doctor.

I did a pre-med program that was amazing. Study abroad if you get the chance!

I say go to Spain, but that's my biased opinion, Spain has an amazing culture, relaxed lifestyle (siesta anybody?), and such historical significance (more museums and churches than you can visit), great beaches, great food, and the greatest nightlife ever (it is seriously crazy staying up till 7am is normal) , not to mention that learning Spanish will be great for your future as a doctor.

Hey, thanks for the input. Right now I'm considering Spain more. By the way, I'm Hispanic, so I already know the language. Maybe that's the reason I'm leaning more towards Spain. I already know the language and I would be more comfortable there.

Haha, siestas? Everyday buddy, even in America. My mother takes like 10 of does a day. :laugh: