Going back post-matriculation for required coursework?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pumping Iron

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for reading,

I posted this to r/premed yesterday, I'm a non-trad graduating without upper-div biology courses. I skimmed the MSAR 2022 pdf and came across a few schools that require upper-div biology. In my case, I've done very well in my required coursework and fear damaging my sGPA from enrolling in "recommended" coursework at my undergrad, as well as taking time away from studying the MCAT this upcoming Fall. I have the option to enroll in either Genetics or a Music elective during my MCAT study period. I'm confident there are a few in a similar situation, I would love to hear from you guys. I'm interested in both MD/DO.

TLDR:
Should one protect their GPA now, focus on MCAT and take these courses later if-needed?
If one is accepted, could they simply just go back and just take the courses?

Members don't see this ad.

First, I'm not sure if it's your real name instead of an avatar, but make sure you change your profile appropriately to mask any personally identifying information.

I don't know of that many schools that really require a significant amount of upper-level biology for admission. Someone refresh me if that's the case. Other than biochemistry (generally required or expected), we do have a list of recommended upper-level biology courses, but you can take those courses after you take the MCAT. That said, sometimes the upper-level coursework helps to make sense of some of your foundational biology courses, but it doesn't always translate to a better performance on the MCAT.

Now, your other question presumes that one will accept you if you have planned to take upper-level biology courses. I ask you to think carefully about the competitiveness of your application with at least a few hundred to thousand applicants who will apply with grades in those upper-level biomedical science classes on record that you will be compared against in some form. I would definitely check with admissions professionals because the answers I think may vary on how they would view your application. Some won't mind because they only care about the required courses, but some will mind because those are additional data points to get a sense of how strong a foundation you have going into medical school preclinical classes.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly I cannot imagine taking the mcat with only lower division courses. I think in a lot of cases, lower division science courses can be harder (aka weed-out) compared to upper division courses, so I wouldn't let a potential drop in your GPA prevent you from taking them.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I posted this to r/premed yesterday, I'm a non-trad graduating without upper-div biology courses. I skimmed the MSAR 2022 pdf and came across a few schools that require upper-div biology. In my case, I've done very well in my required coursework and fear damaging my sGPA from enrolling in "recommended" coursework at my undergrad, as well as taking time away from studying the MCAT this upcoming Fall.

TLDR:
Should one protect their GPA now, focus on MCAT and take these courses later if-needed?
If one is accepted, could they simply just go back and just take the courses?
TLDR - No.

If the courses aren't needed, you don't need to worry about them at all, and won't need to take them between the time you are accepted and the time you enroll, which will be from a few months to a few days, depending on when you are accepted.

OTOH, if you are avoiding tough "recommended" classes that they nevertheless want to see, in order to protect your GPA, that will be obvious to the adcoms and you won't need to worry about doing anything other than reapplying after you have taken the recommended courses.

Reactions: 1 user
First, I'm not sure if it's your real name instead of an avatar, but make sure you change your profile appropriately to mask any personally identifying information.

I don't know of that many schools that really require a significant amount of upper-level biology for admission. Someone refresh me if that's the case. Other than biochemistry (generally required or expected), we do have a list of recommended upper-level biology courses, but you can take those courses after you take the MCAT. That said, sometimes the upper-level coursework helps to make sense of some of your foundational biology courses, but it doesn't always translate to a better performance on the MCAT.

Now, your other question presumes that one will accept you if you have planned to take upper-level biology courses. I ask you to think carefully about the competitiveness of your application with at least a few hundred to thousand applicants who will apply with grades in those upper-level biomedical science classes on record that you will be compared against in some form. I would definitely check with admissions professionals because the answers I think may vary on how they would view your application. Some won't mind because they only care about the required courses, but some will mind because those are additional data points to get a sense of how strong a foundation you have going into medical school preclinical classes.
Thank you, this is a perspective I did not consider

My last remaining required courses for graduation are Physics II, Biochem I, Orgo II & Orgo Lab. I am scheduling to begin studying for my MCAT Fall 2022 whilst taking these classes, and take it Spring 2023. (I will spread these out during Summer 2022 & Fall 2022, graduating December 2022). Would Genetics be too much to add to this list?

I'll be honest, I chose pre-med late and I'm just trying to squeeze in everything. How much of a difference would not taking Genetics make? Would a B/C in Genetics look better than not taking it? I seriously really appreciate the insight you give!!!

Honestly, looking at RateMyProfessor reviews for Genetics doesn't look bad, might actually supplement MCAT studying. I just fear it'll be too much with everything else going on (my other coursework + MCAT studying + work).

That's a very full plate, and I fear doing too much will end up doing more harm than good. Whatever genetics you need for the MCAT, you can get from the study material.

I'm going against the grain and advise you to take the MCAT as planned in Spring 2023. Apply to medschool in Fall 2023. Once accepted, you won't matriculate til at the earliest summer 2024. You can squeeze in Genetics if the medschool you get into requires.