Going BACK to fellowship after leaving one and working - Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wyclefjaundice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my story...
I finished residency and went into a PCCM fellowship in NYC, and I was going through some difficult personal issues and ended up failing my boards. Well, needing to keep on top of my work in the program and re-study for my boards was just too much for me, especially the CCM part. It didn't help that I was still having personal issues and wanted a way out. So I withdrew from the program. Did some temporary work in the area to stay afloat and restudied for my boards. I failed again. Well, I continued to work, and finally passed on this 3rd time. Now that I'm squared away, I'm finding Primary Care to be a grind.

About me: US graduate from UMD. USMLE were below 200's, so passing. and ABIM, well, I passed, finally.

I'm asking for advice because I'm thinking of going back into fellowship, maybe just the Pulm part, or GI, or Pain (I found some places that train IM into Pain)?....

Am I crazy?
Is this even possible?
Would anyone even want me?

I was always scared to post on SDN, because there are so many gunners boasting indirectly about this and that, and it kind of makes me feel ashamed of myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
def not GI
how much of the PCCM fellowship did you do? you could talk to your old program...

but WHY do you want to go into a fellowship...because you don't like PC? why not look for a hospitalist job?

def not GI
how much of the PCCM fellowship did you do? you could talk to your old program...

but WHY do you want to go into a fellowship...because you don't like PC? why not look for a hospitalist job?
I finished about a year of it. The old program is training for PCCM only. I would just want the Pulm part.

As for why. I honestly miss the procedural aspect of it, scopes and stuff. And I'd rather just like to focus down onto one organ system, rather than having to worry about everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does your current job have any contract issues? Are they ok with you leaving? because if fellowship doesnt work well you need something to fall back on. I am currently having trouble with my fellowship.

Last edited:
With that background, I agree you have zero chance in GI.

I think the chances of getting another Pulm/CCM spot are not great. It's gotten more competitive (my sense, not based on data) over the last few years.

The Pulm stand alone programs tend to be in more competitive sites.

They can't give Nephrology or ID fellowships away anymore. If you want one of those, you can get one for July.