going back to the OR after 14 months

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heathermed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,

was hoping for some help.
Been a pain attending for the last 14 months exclusively due to needs of the group but we recently added some people so will be heading back to the OR a couple days a week.

I've been reviewing all my board exam materials and trying to freshen up.

Any advice on how to get back up to speed?

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

hello everyone,

Been a pain attending for the last 14 months exclusively due to needs of the group but we recently added some people so will be heading back to the OR a couple days a week.

thank you!

I would recommend spending a day or so shadowing a colleague. It may seem like a rookie move but no books can substitute reliving the flow of an OR day. While you’re shadowing, you’ll start to remember important aspects of clinical anesthesia (random drug doses, where emergency equipment is located, how to document everything, etc).

Reactions: 2 users
hello everyone,

thank you!

do a retraining program

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask the CRNA what they would do then just nod along and say "yup yup I was thinking the same thing"... you'll be back up to speed in no time!

Reactions: 5 users
Come on, just 14 months. Big deal.

Start with straightforward cases with healthy, skinny patients. Whatever you do, you can't kill them. You should be fine by the end of the day.

Motor memory is well preserved, even in demented human beings.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s like riding a bike. Do your own cases have someone proctor you for 5-10 cases. By end of the week u will be fine. With the equipment available these days. Glidescopes, ultrasounds. The technical aspects of anesthesia isn’t hard.

Reactions: 1 user
hello everyone,

thank you!

I went through the same thing in that I did an ICU fellowship then took 2 month off afterwards. That adds up to 14 month of no OR exposure.

I would recommend
1- Shadowing for a day,
2- Proctored with someone experienced for another 1-2 days. They could have their own rooms but at least you will feel like there is someone to bounce stuff of.
3- Look up the cases the day before as soon as you can then go over some manual to make sure you have a grasp of what to expect, I like using "Anesthesiologist's manual of surgical procedures".
4- In the morning ask your colleagues if they know which technique/way the surgeon does his thing and you will be all set.

Good luck
G