Going enlisted then Medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torshi

Squirrel
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about if this is a logical plan to go forth with that will benefit me in all my future endeavors?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Background:
Had intentions of applying to medical school this Summer (Class of 2017)
18 years old (very young applicant)
Upcoming senior in college, graduating with bachelors in 3 years May 2013
3.8cGPA 3.6 sGPA
MCAT: Avg 24+ (Had intentions of applying strictly D.O)
Excellent ECs such as clinical/non-clinical volunteer work, job (supervisor assistant during school), neuro research, etc.
Avg credits per semester were around 18-21 (no life, and NOT in a rush, I felt if it was possible might as well do it)
Awards: few scholarships, Deans list etc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My plan is go enlisted in the Army for about 3-4 years, then when I'm roughly 23-24 years old take the MCAT and apply to med school. I don't want to go the OCS route mainly because it's competitive, possible waiting list, not guaranteed. Also another reason to go enlisted is because I plan on going through the HPSP pathway regardless when applying to medical school.

I'm choosing the Army out of the other branches mainly because with the army branch- I'll be promoted to E-4 right away, I was thinking between marines and Army, but Marines only promote to E-2 with bachelors which is ridiculous in my opinion.
I also think it would be a good chance to save up money! at $1946.70 a month, for about 4 years is about $93,441 saved up. I'm single and plan on living in barracks, if I do the HPSP that's a $20,000 signing bonus and monthly stipend to save more money. So by the time I'm done with medical school I'll be financially comfortable for a single guy and no debt. Of course these are approximations, there could be a possibility of rising up in the ranks, so that would include a higher monthly pay.

So I believe going this route I will be applying at the avg age of applicants who apply to medical school but with my previous experience and ontop of that military experience I believe it would help. I am not using the military simply for medical school boost purposes (that would be an idiot). I have been debating on joining few months ago, it's almost time for me to take the MCAT and I'm debating if I should void, plus I've been slacking on studying for it since military has been in the back of my head.

Also, I'm very interested in politics and maybe after being a physician for a while, jump into the political field, and having a military background sounds good since most come from those backgrounds.

I believe the military will provide me with a rigorous environment which I enjoy, experience that most civilians wouldn't have, traveling, leadership rather than being a leader of some stupid club on campus, brotherhood etc. I'm aware of dangers and Pros vs. Cons, but my main question is does this sound like a logical plan? I'm not doing it for money, I'm aware of military pay and benefits etc. Currently there are little to none bonuses now and days, think of it as a long gap year.

I'm young, and would like some experience before venturing off into medical school :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This same question has been asked many times before. No one can answer if this will be a good decision for you. If your don't mind getting treated like a brainless clodhopper for the next 4 years then by all means, enlist. (this is the voice of experience)

Ditto Kingfisher.

Also, if the best you can do on the MCAT is a 24 right now, odds are you'll go down after 4 years of your enlistment. With med school getting more competitive each year, be prepared to rule it out entirely.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, in my experience, the folks most miserable with their military service are those who join for wanting to have done it rather than joining for wanting to do it. You give off the wiff of the former camp...

I must be missing something, but what does enlisting have to do with your interest in either going into medicine or politics?

If you want to go to medical school and have (or will have) a degree and you don't think you will be a strong applicant, consider one of the MCAT test prep courses or a backdoor physio masters degree. Enlisting gets you no closer to acceptance and in fact takes you farther away from med school.

As for politics, different thing entirely. It's no coincidence most lawmakers are lawyers.

Join the military if you want to join the military, not because you think it'll help you get into medical school.

Read this thread from a couple months ago ...

The wisdom of planning a path that involves HPSP roughly 2016-2020, followed by internship and possibly GMO time 2020-2023ish, followed by a military residency in the mid-2020s is dubious for other reasons.

Join the military if you want to join the military, not because you think it'll help you get into medical school.

Read this thread from a couple months ago ...

The wisdom of planning a path that involves HPSP roughly 2016-2020, followed by internship and possibly GMO time 2020-2023ish, followed by a military residency in the mid-2020s is dubious for other reasons.
I thought I made this clear enough, and I blatantly stated it.

Also, in my experience, the folks most miserable with their military service are those who join for wanting to have done it rather than joining for wanting to do it. You give off the wiff of the former camp...

There are many people who are confused when enlisting, I'm sure I'm well above the typical mindset of an avg high school graduate wanting to join the military. Like all the 18 year olds really want to do it badly for a real cause? They tend to be confused. I believe I'm more mature than that.

Also, I seriously doubt the remarks you made regarding the MCAT score are true. The competitiveness will always be there for sure, but your claim is absurd, you shouldn't of even replied.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There are many people who are confused when enlisting, I'm sure I'm well above the typical mindset of an avg high school graduate wanting to join the military. Like all the 18 year olds really want to do it badly for a real cause, they tend to be confused. I believe I'm more mature than that.

Also, I seriously doubt the remarks you made regarding the MCAT score are true. The competitiveness will always be there for sure, but your claim is absurd, you shouldn't of even replied.

Don't get all pissy dude. You asked for opinions and got them. I'm not saying he is correct, but he is telling what he believes to be true from his experience which is more than yours at this point in time.

While I can completely appreciate having follow on and back up plans (I have many and then some), you also need to ensure that you set priorities to your goals. I recommend you choose med school or joining the military as your number one priority and focus on that first. Despite having a degree it is harder to get a commission at 18.

If I were in your shoes, but had my knowledge and experience (4 years service academy, 10.5 years active, 3.5 reserve, post-bac prereqs, and acceptance in hand to USUHS as well as a few other schools with HPSP and HSCP) I would make the MCAT my number one priority and get into med school. I would go as a civilian since you are less likely for commissioning. Then, if you still want to join, join via FAP after you get the residency you want. However, if you can get HPSP then go for it.

If you decide to enlist first then I would focus on getting into your state medical school (ideally you could be stationed in Florida or Texas and become a resident there) when the time comes. Then use the GI Bill to pay for med school and rejoin the mil during residency via FAP. An alternate would be to do HSCP, but that is only available for the Navy. Tertiary would be HPSP.

Last edited:
It's fact that average MCAT scores for matriculants has been rising over the past several years and that shows no sign of changing. 24 is below average for most DO schools now. It could be a door closer in 4 years to all but a handful of DO schools that most people would not want to attend.

It's fact that your best odds for a good result on an information-based standardized test comes as close to when the knowledge was received as possible, after allowing for drill/repetition/study. If you think your odds of getting a better score will go up after 4 years of working in a field with literally almost nothing to do with the information learned, you are mistaken.

That said, you are wise to look for more life experience rather than applying as an 18 year old applicant. At most medical schools, being that young is a big red flag. Maturity is one of the most important qualities that schools screen for. Your maturity will be very much scrutinized by the admissions committee at each school.

And given the fact that you're posting on an Internet forum consisting of med students, residents, and attendings who have done what you hope to do and are lashing out at the advice given because you don't like what you're hearing? That doesn't give a mature wiff.

Regardless, best of luck in your application. You have a good GPA, just a poor MCAT. You also have the blessing of time, which most people would kill for. My advice to you would be to take a year and do everything you could to absolutely kill the MCAT and then apply or evaluate your options. I would not take a 4 year break with a 24.

There are many people who are confused when enlisting, I'm sure I'm well above the typical mindset of an avg high school graduate wanting to join the military. Like all the 18 year olds really want to do it badly for a real cause? They tend to be confused. I believe I'm more mature than that.

1) I concur w/ notdeadyet - your MCAT will go down than up. Having been down this path, you will forget much of your basic sciences and will have to relearn it. Military service is not conducive to studying - I had to study for the MCAT halfway across the world, with an RPG range behind my hooch. Not the best study environment - and my score suffered.

2) Military service is great for life experience. But don't expect to go straight from military to med school - you may very well have to take a year or two in between to get your app in, bring your scores up, etc. You may still need to do post-bacc of some sort.

3) USMC E-3 (you'd probably be promoted by the end of training) is equal in responsibility to an Army E-4. USMC gives rank much more begrudgingly, but that rank means more (especially E-3 to E-4 -- we expect far more of our Corporals than the army does of its Sgts/ SSgts). Just FYI.

4) If you want leadership, go officer. As enlisted, in first tour, your leadership will probably be no more than leading a mop in cleaning the toilet.

All honesty - listening to you, I'd recommend against you joining. It sounds like you'd be miserable. Maybe look for something else - medical mission of some sort? - to get some life experience. Join only if you want to serve in the military, and are willing to sacrifice other career goals (i.e. med school) to do so.